Riding Shotgun in a '64 GTO - (5 yr prog - Full) Topic

Riding Shotgun in a '64 GTO

The 1964 Pontiac GTO was regarded as one of the pioneer muscle cars during the golden age of the 60s and 70s if only because of the simple premise behind the build of the car. The idea was to find the largest engine and put it on the lightest body you can build. The brainchild of Russell Gee, Bill Collins, and John DeLorean, the GTO was born because of a decision to put emphasis on a car’s street performance.  The three visionaries built the GTO as a muscle car that featured a 389 cu in (6.4-liter) V8 engine with an output of 325 horsepower at 4,800 rpm with an optional “Tri-Power” carburetion that produced an increased output of 348 horsepower. Road tests done on the GTO at that time included a 0-60 mph time of 6.6 seconds, a standing quarter-mile of 14.8 seconds, and a quarter mile trap speed of 99 mph.

Welcome to the hottest new progressive on the road!  Can you can build a team to rival the power of the GTO?  Here are the basic ideas behind this progressive:

1) This will be a 16-team, 5-year progressive, starting in 1964 and running through 1968.  With only 16 teams there should be plenty of talent to go around.
2) At the conclusion of the 1968 season, the owner of the team with the best cumulative 5-year record will choose a new starting point for the following 5 seasons.  A new dispersion draft, based on each teams' previous record, and with a weighted lottery, will take place at that time ... and we'll hit the road again with a hot new car theme in a different time period.  While the theme and draft order will carry over, having a "change of scenery" with a new dispersion draft every 5 seasons will probably result in no dynasties, as well as keeping the league fresh with players from various eras.
3) We will have an initial dispersion draft (serpentine, random) of all players available in the 1964 WIS database.  For each subsequent season ('65-'68), we will have a draft of rookies & other available players.  The four division winners will draft 13-16, with the WS winner 16 & the WS runner-up 15.  The two LCS runner-ups will be in a lottery for 13-14.  The other 12 teams will draft according to their records, "worst to first", at the 120-game mark, but with a weighted lottery.  In a league of this nature, there shouldn't be any need or reason for tanking.  Obviously, the drafts will become less important as each 5-season period nears an end, so owners will need to plan ahead accordingly.
4) Riding Shotgun - Each team will have the option of using two Shotgun players each season - someone with a little extra power to ride along for the season.  A Shotgun player is someone on your roster who can have any of his 5 pre-theme seasons ('59-'63, in this case) used for one season only.  Basically you're twisting two players to pre-theme seasons.  For instance, you may have Roger Maris on your roster, a very average player throughout the 60's, but you would be able to use his big '61 season whenever you choose.  You would also be able to use Mantle's great '61 season, Banks '59 season, Mays & Robinson's '62 seasons, Cash's '61 season, etc.  Your Shotgun player can be anyone you choose from your roster, but can only "ride shotgun" one time, and cannot be traded during his shotgun season.  Prior to each season, owners will sitemail the commish with their choice of two Shotgun Players from their roster, so other owners will not know who is riding shotgun on each team until the season starts.

Other Basics:
16-team league, 4 divisions, 4 playoff teams, no wildcards.
Stadiums will be unique, from those used at any point from 1950-1969, and will be part of the initial draft.  First-come first-served in the draft.
NO WW
NO DH
NO Salary Cap
NO Injuries
NO AAA
YES Trades
Team names should somehow be related to the city or stadium you choose, and perhaps with a "classic / hot car" theme.
I will contact WIS Admin to hopefully arrange for some prizes to award to some owners after each 5-season period.

This is intended to be a fun theme progressive, focusing on classic / hot cars - but no fast women.  I would ask any owners who sign up to commit to at least 5 seasons.  I reserve the right to refuse admission to owners I deem not worthy of riding down our highway.  This should be a fun league, and I would like it to be a league with class - kinda like some cars.  I look forward to a great time with you.
1/15/2013 11:09 AM (edited)
Note - I have been trying to cut down on my WIS involvement due to work, health, and lack of family time.  But I want to try this one time to start a fun progressive.  We can have owner input on this, but I would like to pass on the role of commish after the first 5 seasons.  Perhaps have the owner with the best 5-year cumulative record also take over as commish for the following 5 seasons.

If you're interested, please sign up below.

1.  Kings_Kid
 2.  firecapt
 3.  laramiebob
 4.  Tucker T's
 5.  chargingryno
 6.  pmwksw
 7.  Husker75
 8.  shysters3
 9.  seapilots
10.  jeff4noles
11.  whoscraig
12.  seapilots (2)
13.  georgedeer
14.  ace_topgun
15.  greener88
16.  cpdstars27

Sitemail List:  
Kings_Kid; firecapt; laramiebob; Tucker T's; chargingryno; Husker75; shysters3; seapilots; jeff4noles; whoscraig; georgedeer; pmwksw; ace_topgun; greener88; cpdstars27

Waitlist:  

1/15/2013 11:11 AM (edited)
If I missed anything, please advise.

Perhaps in the future we can start a 5-year progressive cycle with:

1929 Durant                                        1939 Ford Convertible                              1947 Chevy Coupe

1958 Corvette                                    1970 Dodge Challenger                         1979 Trans Am

Anyone driven one of these?  If no one else has, probably Jay Leno.
11/23/2012 5:34 AM (edited)
Ken, I'm in.
11/23/2012 8:40 AM
Welcome Greg!
11/23/2012 9:08 AM

Since this the "Riding Shotgun in a '64 GTO" League

I thought I'd add a picture of my newest scatter gun.

Benelli Ultralight 12 gauge
11/23/2012 9:37 AM (edited)
Ken,  Sounds good and interesting.  Count me in!
Bob

11/23/2012 10:42 AM
Welcome Bob!

Greg - it looks like you're getting serious about this league already :)

Bob, you're the music guy ... know any songs about riding shotgun, hot cars, the open road, etc.?  All I can think of:
several by the Beach Boys: 409, Shut Down
Willie Nelson - On the Road Again
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty

11/23/2012 11:14 AM
Hey Ken . . . good to hear from you and will answer your sitemail later today . . . .

I'm not a 16-team guy . . . . . but I'll give this one a try . . . .  .
11/23/2012 12:08 PM
Welcome Tom!
11/23/2012 12:19 PM
you said that a player cannot be traded during his shotgun season, but say you use Mantle's 61 season in the inaugural 64 season, and then you trade him to me in 65, can I then use his 61 season as my shotgun?  or does each player only get one year "ridin shotgun" regardless of the owner?
11/23/2012 12:29 PM
Posted by chargingryno on 11/23/2012 12:29:00 PM (view original):
you said that a player cannot be traded during his shotgun season, but say you use Mantle's 61 season in the inaugural 64 season, and then you trade him to me in 65, can I then use his 61 season as my shotgun?  or does each player only get one year "ridin shotgun" regardless of the owner?
Each player only gets one year riding shotgun, regardless of owner.  I'll have a forum listing for all shotgun players.
11/23/2012 12:33 PM
ok - I'll join as well
11/23/2012 12:51 PM
Welcome aboard chargingryno!
11/23/2012 12:57 PM
Posted by fabulous on 11/23/2012 5:12:00 PM (view original):
I drove a 1961 Plymouth Valiant, with standard transmission, during the 1964 baseball season. If this does not disqualify me, then I would like to join the bigger cars here.
The oldest car I ever drove was a 1984 Nissan 300zx - and that was last year!  

Although my "dream car" is the 1964 Corvette - so maybe that qualifies me?
11/23/2012 5:26 PM
1234 Next ▸
Riding Shotgun in a '64 GTO - (5 yr prog - Full) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.