2018 Talkin' Baseball Prog - Filled Topic

The Talkin' Baseball progressive league is soon heading into its 69th season! The league started with the 1950 season, and we are looking for at least 1 new owner to join us starting in the 2018 season. The season should get underway around July 26th.

Important: We are looking for owners who are looking to stay with us until we catch up to the current MLB season (estimate is we will play through the 2024 season). By joining us and playing through the 2024 season, you'll also be invited to participate in the possible reboot of our league (details will need to be worked out with current league members as to what year we start with, how many teams, etc), as if we can avoid it we will not be recruiting new owners for the reboot through the progressive classified thread.

The open team at the moment is New York (calls Yankees Stadium (III) home). You must remain in your home park for at least 2018 but you can opt to change to another AL park starting in 2019 if you'd like and if you let me know prior to the start of the 2019 season. Current AL parks open for 2019 are Minnesota - Target Field, Houston - Minute Maid Park, Kansas City - Kaufmann Stadium, and Toronto - Rogers Centre. If you choose to move, you may or may not end up staying in the same division. Current owners will be given the option to move to another division to better geographically align the divisions if you choose to move, but we do not force any owner to switch divisions if they choose not to do so.

The roster for the available team is on the bottom of page 3 in this thread. The owner had to unexpectedly resign at the last minute, but leaves behind a strong team with no glaring holes. We go on the clock on Monday, July 10th to finish the regular draft. We are currently drafting OFF the clock in round one. This franchise has the 18th pick in round one. As of this post, there have been 9 picks made so far in Round One. The AAA draft will begin on Monday, July 17th and end on Thursday, July 20th, which will allow you to pick up an additional 6 players that have not yet been drafted.

7/1/2023 4:12 PM (edited)
The Talkin' Baseball league is a single season progressive with 24 teams, progressing one season at a time:
  • Standard WIS Format
  • DH will begin to be used for the first time in this league starting in 2020
  • Injuries on
  • No live play
  • Unlimited IR
  • No salary cap
  • You draft your own AAA players. Every team will be able to draft up to 6 players that were not drafted in the regular draft. They can be any position (ex. all 6 pitchers, all 6 catchers, or any mix of batters and pitchers that you see fit)
  • Full/combined/partial seasons of players are all eligible to be used.
  • Trading of draft picks allowed up to one season in advance.
  • We have a 48 hour add/drop period after each draft.
  • Ohtani rule: League majority voted that Shohei Ohtani counts as one player in seasons that WIS lists him as both a hitter and a pitcher (currently this happens in the 2018, 2021 and 2022 seasons) and so there is only one owner for Ohtani. Only one version can be used (pitcher or hitter) on a game to game basis. He counts as one player (keeper) on the 25 man roster (though the Ohtani owner gets an extra AAA slot in order to carry the second version of Ohtani in seasons where he is listed as a hitter and a pitcher).

We absolutely do not condone tanking games in this league. This has never been much of an issue here and the league takes great pride in that. Eyes are always watching, and even the appearance of tanking games can lead to dismissal from the league, period. If you play progressive leagues using this strategy, then you aren't welcome here. If you want to play in a league where everyone is trying to do their best regardless of what their roster looks like in any given season, then please choose us!

A four-tier lotto system (6/6/6/6) is used to determine next season's first round draft order after 120 games. 6 worst teams get put in lotto for picks 1 through 6 in next season's draft. Next 6 worst teams get put in a lotto for picks 7 through 12, and so on. Lotto is for the first round of the draft only. Subsequent rounds are worst team to best team, based on record at 120 games into the current season. There is a 30 win minimum requirement by the 120th game into the season to qualify for a top 6 pick. Teams that do not have 30 wins by the 120th game into the season get dropped down to the second lotto tier (for a pick between #7 and #12 in round one).

We have some additional cool features in this league. You have the ability to shuffle players up and down from AAA virtually all season (deadline is before game 160 of the season). There is typically not a lot of down time between seasons. On average, we are starting the next season about one week after the World Series concludes. We have a league record book that is updated each season and we also have a Hall of Fame for the league (ballot is made up each season and league votes for who they feel are Talkin' Baseball Hall of Famers)! There is also a franchise history thread in our private forum where you can learn who the previous owners of your franchise were, along with all of the prior team names and a championship/pennant/playoff appearances count. We award league prizes every 5 seasons as well, based on criteria that the league voted on previously.

Important: We attempt to keep things moving at a semi-brisk pace. We start drafting off the clock not too long after the 120 game mark at a leisurely pace. Once the playoffs start, we draft on the clock and pick up wherever we are in the draft at that point. We attempt to keep down time to a minimum between seasons, as we usually finish the draft around the same time that the World Series is finishing up. So keep in mind when considering our league that we move faster than the typical progressive, which may suit you very well or not so well. Missing deadlines to post keeper lists, making draft picks off the clock within 48 hours of the prior pick posted, and entering teams for the new season on time have rarely been an issue in this league. We have certainly been fortunate to have such a terrific group of owners, and we do expect new owners to also be able to consistently meet the above noted deadlines.
7/1/2023 4:19 PM (edited)
great league
5/29/2013 8:25 PM (edited)
Posted by houseofbayne on 4/21/2013 10:26:00 PM (view original):
The Talkin' Baseball league is a fairly standard, single season progressive: Alternate WIS Format E (4 divisions, 4 teams in each. Division winners make playoffs. Each series best of seven). No DH. No live play. Unlimited IR. No salary cap. 6/2 below average AAA players, randomly generated (6 bats, 2 arms).

A two-tier lotto system to determine next season's first round draft order after 120 games. 8 worst teams get put in lotto for picks 1 through 8 in next season's draft, 8 best teams get put in lotto for picks 9 through 16. Lotto is for first round of draft only. Subsequent rounds are worst team to best team.

As you read this, we are talking about expanding from 16 to 20 teams in the future. This won't happen before 1969. The goal is to have an expansion plan in place within a week or three.

We attempt to keep things moving at a semi-brisk pace. We start drafting off the clock not too long after the 120 game mark at a leisurely pace. Once the playoffs start, we draft on the clock and pick up wherever we are in the draft at that point. We attempt to keep down time to a minimum between seasons, as we usually finish the draft around the same time that the World Series is finishing up.

Feel free to sitemail or post any questions, and looking forward to hearing from you! Team available is below.

Curious on how you decide to handle Expansion. Posting to more easily follow your League's process.

4/24/2013 3:38 AM
great league guys....expansion challenges all...we even have a HOF.
8/25/2013 12:10 AM
I'd like this team if it's still available
8/24/2014 3:26 PM
I'll take the Trucks.
11/1/2014 10:04 PM
I'll take the Reds and make the commitment if you'll have me.
11/15/2014 2:06 AM
Did you get your 4 owners?
11/29/2014 4:34 PM
Posted by ff09 on 11/29/2014 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Did you get your 4 owners?
We tentatively have four, but would like to start a short waitlist in the event that one or more back out when it comes time to start the expansion draft (estimated to start around mid-February 2015).
11/29/2014 5:02 PM
sign me up on waitlist
11/29/2014 7:29 PM
id be interested in an expansion team
12/2/2014 6:30 PM
Please give me the Houston team. I see that there are 23 active and 2 players are on injured reserve. So, I can keep however many players that I want. If I cut players then I must fill their spots via draft (or free agency or trade). I'm ready. Let me know if i'm in, so I can hire my fron office,lol. I'm ready!
2/21/2016 7:13 PM
i would like to try a progressive....this sounds like a good one
2/10/2017 4:40 PM
I'll take Chicago but the ringworms not so much
4/15/2018 10:34 AM
123 Next ▸
2018 Talkin' Baseball Prog - Filled Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.