Coaches & Hiring Process Topic

Maybe I'm alone in this this, but why can't coaches be signed to long term contracts? It would help to shorten a tiresome process but also shore up your roster in the event you like the way things are going.  Maybe even only allow coaches to sign for X number of years or at the very least, have a coach give you a contract demand.  In most cases, it would be about more money. If you like the coach and what he's accomplished, you could agree to sign him for an extended period. If not, let him go.

Just my two cents worth.

9/6/2012 9:55 AM
Either that or just shorten the time period so we dont have to spend so much time making bids especially on the guys who wind up moving up a level.
9/6/2012 2:56 PM
IMO, 2 really bad ideas. Not that I get a vote.

Some people have lives outside of HBD. Shorten coach hiring will mean if someone can't get online & spend time for a day or two, they'll miss coach hiring. One year of missing coach hiring can be a big setback. I've been through it.

Hiring for multiple years would only work if there was a very big raise every year. With out that, the few owners who figured out how to game the current system would lock up most of the good value coaches for a long time. At least the current model puts a lot of good coaches back in the hiring pool every season.

9/6/2012 3:05 PM
LT probability could be tied to loyalty. As it is if you lock up a super coach with a high loyalty he will likely be around for many seasons at less than the original offer.
9/6/2012 3:53 PM
This has been discussed a million times.  First, coach hiring is as easy, or horrible, as you make it.   If you obsess over 2-3 points, it's going to be tough on you.  At the BL level, there are TONS of capable coaches.  Fretting over that 87 when there are ten 82s will age you quickly.    Second, LT deals are another way for a spiteful, or just plain bad, owner to set back a franchise.   Sign a bunch of horrible coaches to big money, long-term deals and you've wrecked a franchise for the forseeable future.    Finally, if you abide by the "Don't worry about 3 points" rule, you don't have to check in every half-cycle.  You'll be fine if you miss a couple.
9/6/2012 4:11 PM
Actually I would have to say just cut out the individual coach hiring and go with a dollar amount for each level.  Or open it up completely and let us set the level and position for a coach and they can demand dollars and length of contract.   
9/15/2012 8:28 AM (edited)
Yep, don't worry about 3 points per coach and really why worry about a game or so in the standings it's only 1/162 of the season....
9/15/2012 7:55 AM
Mr. Cub, Most will agree with you that coach hiring is among the least enjoyed parts of the game. WIS issued a survey a while back, published the results and instead of changing the entire process decided to make coaches more loyal. Its been a little better since, but its still a cumbersome way for owners to feel like they have direct control over their player development.
9/15/2012 4:38 PM
Here's an example of what I believe to be a flaw.

Quentin Brooks was my AAA hitting coach last season. He is demanding to be my 1B coach this season.

I would gladly offer him the BL hitting coach job, as during the off season he improved and is slightly better than my current BL hitting coach, but I don't have that option available.

Why in the world can't I make that offer? Surely that would be a more sought after job.

I can understand not being able to go the other way like offering my BL hitting coach the 1B coaching job, but Brooks would jump at the chance if only he could...
9/20/2012 5:51 AM
Posted by kschoenberg on 9/15/2012 7:55:00 AM (view original):
Yep, don't worry about 3 points per coach and really why worry about a game or so in the standings it's only 1/162 of the season....
Yeah, this is retarded.  

You should pay an extra 2m for a PC 85 even if you can get an 82.   Good call. 
9/20/2012 8:17 AM
Posted by pb15 on 9/15/2012 4:38:00 PM (view original):
Mr. Cub, Most will agree with you that coach hiring is among the least enjoyed parts of the game. WIS issued a survey a while back, published the results and instead of changing the entire process decided to make coaches more loyal. Its been a little better since, but its still a cumbersome way for owners to feel like they have direct control over their player development.
I have come to believe that "feel like" has the ring of truth to it.

9/20/2012 11:14 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/20/2012 8:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kschoenberg on 9/15/2012 7:55:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, this is retarded.  

You should pay an extra 2m for a PC 85 even if you can get an 82.   Good call. 
There's a difference between paying extra and working to get the best coaches. Three points at every coaching position could/should make a difference...and maybe that difference equates to a win or two over a season. This might make it worthwhile to work a bit and get the better coaches. As for money...in some cases teams have the money to spend and can't really put it towards anything else.

There's also more than one category that is important to each coach...I'm going to assume you know that and are just neglecting that point in order to do what you do best...

9/20/2012 12:02 PM
There's a lot of "could", "should", "maybe", and "might" in that explanation.  But there's also debate in another forum about how much real difference health ratings make.  Now, if there's no consensus on the difference 30 points in health ratings between two players makes, it does lead one to ask how much difference three points between coaches makes.  From the budget ranges I've seen set, and the way owners go about choosing their coaches, I would guess that a large number of experienced owners have come to view admin's explanation of the coaching process as more or less cosmetic.

9/20/2012 12:21 PM
Coach hiring sux. Worst part of the game.

9/20/2012 3:02 PM
I think WIS needs to open coaching and treat them similar to players or simplify it to the same level as scouting, medical, or training. 
9/20/2012 3:28 PM
1234 Next ▸
Coaches & Hiring Process Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.