Coaches & Hiring Process Topic

Just checked GAP...only two teams signed FI over $750K this season.  Everyone else got a decent FI for $750K or less...
10/2/2012 9:40 AM (edited)
and in Mantle only 5 teams signed a FI over $750K and one of those was near $800K while another one looked like he had extra money and threw $2.7M at a 74 rated FI.  Everyone but three teams got a FI with a rating over 73.

Point being, the two leagues I am in don't seem to have an issue with FI distribution.
10/2/2012 9:39 AM
I overvalue fielding and, because of that, I'll overpay for FI(I'm one of the five in Mantle).    But, if that's what it takes to get what I want, I'll do it.   It's no different than paying 18m for a 10m-valued player.   If it's what I want/need, I'll pay market value not my valued price.

I never understand why people think everyone should get an 85 FI but getting an 85 SS isn't guaranteed.
10/2/2012 9:47 AM
The "FI over $750k" thing is pretty misleading, because a lot of quality FI's were rehired at $750k.  In fact, in Mantle, eight of the top ten rated FI's are being paid $750k.  I'm guessing all of them were rehired and didn't go on the open market.  If they did, then there might have been more competition that would have driven up their prices.

One of the flaws of the coach hiring process is that during the rehire phase, the FI's who want to return are willing to re-sign for well below market value for their services.  Raise their demands during the rehire phase to something more in line with ML PC and HC, somewhere between $1.8m and $2.2m or so, and it becomes a little more realistic.
10/2/2012 10:22 AM

Coaches that are willing to resign should pretty much always demand something similar to what they were paid the year before.  That's pretty simple.

10/2/2012 10:37 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 10/2/2012 10:37:00 AM (view original):

Coaches that are willing to resign should pretty much always demand something similar to what they were paid the year before.  That's pretty simple.

I realize I shouldn't say things like "In real life..." but in real life, coaches with job security go year after year after year.  A small minority want to become BL managers, and those are the ones who move around.

10/2/2012 11:46 AM
Posted by damag on 10/2/2012 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 10/2/2012 10:37:00 AM (view original):

I realize I shouldn't say things like "In real life..." but in real life, coaches with job security go year after year after year.  A small minority want to become BL managers, and those are the ones who move around.

I'm not saying they shouldn't keep re-signing.  I am, however, saying, they shouldn't willingly take a 75% pay cut without going on the market, which is the norm now.
10/2/2012 12:03 PM
I assume this is still on-topic but one of the reasons I don't have a problem dropping 3m on FI this season is because, if he'll re-sign, he'll ask for 750k next year. 
10/2/2012 1:17 PM
Yep.  It's pretty simple.  Your league rolls over.  If your FI stays, you budget $750K.  If he doesn't, you say "oh crap" and budget $3 million.
10/2/2012 5:11 PM
Checking to see if my FI will resign is literally the first thing I check for after rollover.  And determining my coaching budget is the first thing that I do when starting to work on my budget after rollover, with FI being the sole factor between high coaching budget and low coaching budget.
10/2/2012 7:17 PM
First thing I check after roll over as well. It's when you get snookered on the last cycle in the bidding war for the last decent FI and have to settle for a 49 IQ (and end up with 1.9 left in the budget) that you say, "why don't "they" do something about this FI situation". 
10/2/2012 8:53 PM
I don't say that.    Same as losing out on that stud SP.    "Why don't they give me mo' better starting pitchers?"
10/3/2012 8:41 AM
I don't pay a lot of attention to coach hiring so it's not that big of a deal to me,  but... I do think there should be an average coach for every franchise with an average level of growth. For example, can anybody off the top of their head tell me which ML team has a below average Fielding Instructor? These are the changes I would make under the current system.
1.  Coaches can only be signed at the level they are listed i.e no signing Lo A coaches for Hi A positions and includes the addition of a FI at each level.

2. Coaches always resign with their franchise but every 2 years demand a promotion (unless ML). Coaches can not be promoted until they have completed 2 years at a level.

3. At least one average coach available for each position at each level and no bad coaches. I think it is trying too hard to make an artificial market and adds nothing to the game to have teams bid on average coaches and the absence of bad coaches would also keep an owner from destroying (especially intentionally) a minor league system.

4. Less higher rated coaches i.e. Pitching coaches with 90 + pitching IQ.  This is where the bidding wars should take place. ( Think about the bidding wars on a 90 Lo A pitching or fielding coach.) There should be very few above average coaches, maybe 2 per level,  but their impact should be significant. In lieu of Low draft picks turning into stars this is how low 1st round and 2nd/3rd/4th round draft picks should become ML players and stars. An above average coach should be able to add a significant amount of extra points to players.
10/3/2012 9:10 AM
A 50 FI(I think I had a 48 once) will progress players.    So that's at least "average".  
10/3/2012 9:16 AM

Yes. 50 is average and where almost all coaches should be, imo,although I am not sure that WIS considers 50 as average. What I was trying to say is that there are very few coaches that are "difference" makers and they should be very costly and in short supply with significant impact. There shouldn't be 10 FI with 90 IQ, there shouldn't even be 10 greater than 50. On the other hand I've seen teams miss out on a coach and then get stuck with a Pitching Coach with a 30 IQ and 0 patience and discipline. That, to me, is the wrong way to make coaching negotiations important.

10/3/2012 3:19 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Coaches & Hiring Process Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.