Let me start by saying this is a great game and I am a newbie.

1. I don't like how the budget is set up.  Why does it cost 50% to move money from Salary to Prospects?

2. Coaches why can't I put a coach where I want them?  I ended up with a better AA coaching staff than my AAA team.

3. Why don't left over dollars rollover to the next year?

4. Why does projected ratings stop at 28 years old?  I think the projected ratings should continue both up and down.  The way it is now a 28 year old is worth far less than a 27 year old.

5. Revenue would it be possible to adjust revenue by team prestige?  Team prestige would be made up of current and past performance and aggregate player prestige.   Player prestige would be determined by current and past performance as well as the number of awards including player of the game or  week, gold glove, MBP etc.  Each of your team levels would generate revenue.  Example would be:
National TV contract  - Everyone gets tne same.
Ticket and Concession Sales  - Team prestige plus player prestige.
Merchandise - Team prestige plus top 5 player prestige. 
Every level has revenue generating activities of course the Majors (higer total prestige) is going to earn more than the rookie (low prestige) 
I think this would make paying attention to your minor leagues more important and your older players with built up prestige more valued.

And yes I should get a life instead of thinking about how to improve a well designed baseball simulation game.
9/15/2012 8:24 AM (edited)
1. To force the owner to put more forethought into setting their budget in the first place.
2. Maybe that should be allowed if there's also money in your coaching budget to cover the raise in their salary at the higher level and perhaps a penalty.
3. They follow US Federal budget rules...use it or lose it. Seriously, I believe they do that so that we don't wind up with a team tanking completely and ending up with over $500,000,000 in a future season and the continually be able to roll enough over to easily outspend everyone else on IFAs, etc. 
4. There are projected ratings for players over 27...they're just not displayed. You'll learn to understand how ratings can change on veteran players and how, in some aspects you can affect those changes.
5. That would be a pretty major change to the game. There's another reason to pay attention to your minor leagues you can win a championship at the lower levels and also improve your prospects. 
9/15/2012 8:29 AM
1.  I get it and not really that big, but it would be nice if they cut the penalty to 25% or 10%
2.  There was a coach demanding Bench Coach (which I already had filled) but he had the best Pitching Coach number available and I could not hire him.
3.  Put minimums on spending or maximums on how much you can rollover or maintain.  Also New York Yankees, you can buy the best players and still not have the best team every year.  (That is something I had not thought about though, I guess I am not good at figuring out how to game the system)
4.  Information is valuable and at 28 information is lost and the player becomes less valued.  I guess I hate the hard cut off age.  Either keep the project ratings on for everyone or off for everyone. 
5. That would be a major change (probably could only do it with new leagues)  and require a major programing effort.  That change would probable not benefit the game as much as the effort put into it.  It is more of dream than a wish.
9/15/2012 9:10 AM
Stew, you can hire coaches for different positions. In fact, many times I've had guys that wanted to be bench coach and asking $2 million sign as a HC or PC for well under $1 million. It's one of the tricks you learn as you gain experience in the game.

Stew, information is valuable and so is experience. You'll notice that many experienced owners put $0 dollars into advanced scouting because they really don't need the projected ratings in order to have a firm idea of where a player is going to end up. In some ways the fact that can be done is a flaw in the game. While you might consider a player over 28 to have less value you might also consider that 28 - 32 is the zenith of their ratings and the seasons in which they may be most productive.

To learn the game I would strongly advice reading the dev chats...but know that the older they are the less accurate they may as the game has evolved quite a bit since the early releases. If you have the stomach to ferret through the forums you can also find a lot of information, but be warned it is the internet and there are people that will post misinformation or discredit others simply for the sport of it. 

I think overall the most important factor to enjoying and learning this game is to get in a really good league and then watch how the experienced guys do it. Also, a couple of seasons ago an owner did a series of you tube videos on turning around a team. They're not the bible and there are points that many consider incorrect, but there's also some valuable information there. Also remember there are many ways to win. I've gone to the playoffs with a $20 million dollar player budget and a $120 million player budget. Most important is to find the way you enjoy playing and stick with it for a while. No matter how good or how bad your team or a player is there's still a lot of random chance in the results...and even a full season of play might not be enough to allow for the vagaries of change to even out.

9/15/2012 9:57 AM
Thanks for your input. 

I have been reading forums to get some ideas on how to play.  (someone told me the lower the left, right number on pitchers the better)

Can you give me any hints on how to figure projected ratings??  Please.

I am going to try youtube....thanks. 

I realize this is just a game and really does not matter beyond a good mental exersize, but if WIS sees an idea I put forward or a problem I am having all the better.

9/15/2012 10:14 AM
stew, check your sitemail I sent you a link for the videos.

As for projections...you'll pick it up quickly, but in general you can look at the initial difference between a player's actual and projected and then with a slight factor for their makeup category pretty much figure on increases coming over roughly 5 seasons. It's more complex than I'm making it, but let's say  a player's actual against RHP is 50 and his projected is 70 when drafted You might expect to see increases of 8 4 2 1 1. This will vary by a number of factors including coaching, advancement through the minors, makeup and some luck. Also, some categories are more likely to increase while the physical categories like speed don't by very much if at all. 

As I said that's really simplistic but should give you a rough idea of what happens. 

Injuries, demotions and other factors can retard growth. 

Oh, and before I forget the OVR rating is almost always useless. Learn the important categories for each position and focus on these. In some cases a 65 rated pitcher can be much better and more valuable than one with an 82 rating. SS/3B types almost always tend to have high OVR ratings, but that wouldn't make them more valuable than a catcher who could be 20 overall points lower.

As for your suggestions...if you think something would add to the game...post it. We can only hope that WIS takes a look at the suggestions and implements some of the better ones. 
9/15/2012 12:16 PM
Hey thanks Kschoenberg..

I am half way through my first season and I picked up a couple of things like OVR is good place to start a sort, but it just scratches the surface.  ie a first baseman with a great arm (for a first baseman) and no glove can rate the same as the other way around. 
9/15/2012 1:05 PM
Posted by stews_blues on 9/15/2012 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Hey thanks Kschoenberg..

I am half way through my first season and I picked up a couple of things like OVR is good place to start a sort, but it just scratches the surface.  ie a first baseman with a great arm (for a first baseman) and no glove can rate the same as the other way around. 
Yep...and pitchers that have a little bit of hitting ability can look like potential HoFers...
9/15/2012 6:28 PM
4.  Once a player reaches age 27 (not 28), his development is pretty much complete.  He might still gain a point or two here or there, but it's not going to be enough to essentially change his value.  Also, once a player reaches ages 25 and 26 , he's going to have enough seasons of development under his belt where you should be able to recognize his actual development pattern, and start to ignore projections.  The observed development pattern is a lot more meaningful than projected ratings at that point.  So the older that the player gets, the less trust you should put in projections.

The other thing to remember about projections is that the further your advanced scouting budget is from $20m, the less accurate projections are.
9/15/2012 10:15 PM
Posted by stews_blues on 9/15/2012 10:14:00 AM (view original):
Thanks for your input. 

I have been reading forums to get some ideas on how to play.  (someone told me the lower the left, right number on pitchers the better)

I realize this is just a game and really does not matter beyond a good mental exersize, but if WIS sees an idea I put forward or a problem I am having all the better.

Whoever told you that about pitcher splits was exactly wrong; the higher the number, the better. Same goes for hitters, and vsR is at least somewhat more valuable than vsL.
9/18/2012 7:12 PM
Posted by stews_blues on 9/15/2012 10:14:00 AM (view original):
Thanks for your input. 

LOL quit talking to lesliechow
9/18/2012 9:41 PM
Thanks for the tip.
9/18/2012 9:52 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.