Real-time FA bidding Topic

10/24/2012 2:26 PM
"Hi Scott this is Dave.  I would like to make a bid on Prince Fielder.  We will offer him 9 years $218 million BUT only if someone else makes an offer of 217.9 million first.  Otherwise we want to get him for one dollar more than the highest bid.  Make sure to email me IMMEDIATELY if someone goes over 218 million or it just won't be fair.  Thanks buddy!  Talk to you later man!"

Awesome.

10/24/2012 5:05 PM
Posted by gotigers17 on 10/24/2012 5:05:00 PM (view original):
"Hi Scott this is Dave.  I would like to make a bid on Prince Fielder.  We will offer him 9 years $218 million BUT only if someone else makes an offer of 217.9 million first.  Otherwise we want to get him for one dollar more than the highest bid.  Make sure to email me IMMEDIATELY if someone goes over 218 million or it just won't be fair.  Thanks buddy!  Talk to you later man!"

Awesome.

Yeah, that about sums up how I feel about this suggestion as well.
10/24/2012 5:44 PM
Two more who obviously don't understand tuft's marketing genius. 
10/24/2012 7:20 PM
Posted by gotigers17 on 10/24/2012 5:05:00 PM (view original):

Awesome.

And after 3 seasons, when Fielder has declined due to age and maybe injury, and is still owed about $150M over 6 more season, Dave can decide he doesn't want to pay Fielder any more and walk away from the team without any liability at all. The league commissioner and other GMs have to find someone willing to take on that liability for 6 seasons, or the league folds.

And if Dave wants a different team, he can pick one up for $24.95. Unless he made it to the WS thanks to a that contract, because he got a credit for that and now can get a new team for free.

Awesome!

Every idea I've floated has pros & cons. What never occurred to me is how many people (at least the one who post here) so deeply identify with the pretend players. Pretend Prince Fielder gets a big contract - everything is fine. Actual real humans are frequently negatively impacted - doesn't seem to register with some of you at all.  Fascinating. I guess HBD is a better simulation than I thought.
10/25/2012 3:04 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/24/2012 7:20:00 PM (view original):
Two more who obviously don't understand tuft's marketing genius. 
Mike - Please stop playing with trucks for a minute and see if you can find a dictionary.  I doubt it would shock any of us if you didn't own one or know how to look up the meaning of a word online.

We're talking about "retention", not "marketing".  Both important, but not the same thing.

Now please make up something nobody said or something that has nothing to do with the point and argue against that. (Does doing that make you feel smart?)
10/25/2012 3:14 AM
I thought you were done?
10/25/2012 6:00 AM
Did you really think that?    These types are never done.    It's important to them that someone, anyone, understands and agrees with their great idea.     He will not be deterred just because we're 8 pages in and it hasn't happened yet.
10/25/2012 7:06 AM
You mean I didn't win?  He told me that I won.  WTF?
10/25/2012 7:56 AM
You must have missed the news.

10/25/2012 8:01 AM
You realize this is a strategy baseball simulation right? 

If someone overpays for a guy they should have to deal with that poor decision.  Just like if I forget to protect a Rule 5 guy I have to deal with that decision.  The flaw in your suggestion is that it takes most of the strategy out of the bidding process.  All of this would then impact other areas of the game.  Instead of pitcher A getting 5 years $100 million he gets 5 years $75 million.  Now the player who was perfectly willing to pay $100 million (even though it is a bad move) has another $25 million to put other places.  He may even be bidding me up on one of the lower level players I am after even though by rights he shouldn't even have the money. Please tell me you understand how this would dumb down the game.  The more decisions you take out of the game the less interesting it becomes to people who enjoy the game. 

People who are going to make bad moves and leave aren't the people you want to keep anyway.  They will always find a reason to leave.

Also the devs aren't getting rid of the cycles unless they build HBD2.  Asking for them to do it is a waste of words. 

10/25/2012 11:17 AM
I think that's where he's getting confused.  No one cares what Jimmy Fakeplayer makes.    But everyone should care what Owner 1-31 will pay him.   That's what makes the game.    Good for me if you overpay.
10/25/2012 11:49 AM
Also, since tuft thinks I check in every other minute, 24/7, I think he should know that I gain no advantage with round-the-clock monitoring.     FA is simple.  

1.  Set your targets.
2.  Determine their priority.
3.  Determine how much you'll pay.
4.  Bid about 80% or original demand.
5.  Check in 2-3 half cycles later.
6.  Stand pat or re-bid on those where you're not #1.
7.  Check in 2-3 cycles later.
8.  Stand pat, bid 100% of your pre-determined amount or withdraw bid and move on.

I miss two cycles every day.  Sometimes 3.  Changing FA to real-time bidding wouldn't change how I do things. 
10/25/2012 1:20 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/25/2012 11:49:00 AM (view original):
I think that's where he's getting confused.  No one cares what Jimmy Fakeplayer makes.    But everyone should care what Owner 1-31 will pay him.   That's what makes the game.    Good for me if you overpay.
Is he incapable of reading, or incapable of aknowledging?
10/25/2012 3:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...12 Next ▸
Real-time FA bidding Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.