DH's have such good eyes at the plate but others? Topic

This appears to be a function of game tinkering, more than an attempt to simulate real life.  What is there about being a speedy guy who is a very good fielder that keeps him from knowing his strike zone?

In general, the sim should be free of unrealistic ways of compensating or handicapping players who are good at one thing, in ways that keep them from being good at other things.

11/26/2012 12:50 AM
So all players should be great?
11/26/2012 8:33 AM
Shouldn't they fix the "too many home runs" or "not enough gold glove quality shortstops" problems first?
11/26/2012 8:46 AM
He slays me. SLAYS ME!
11/26/2012 9:19 AM
11/26/2012 10:00 AM
Don't think WIS will be swayed by the typical trolls.

It is granted that there are exceptions. I'm talking about the tendencies. Our WIS staff can examine them for themselves.

BTW, tecwrg, there were way too many home runs, as those know who have played HBD early on. WIS did a very good job of fixing that. No need to address the silly comments, but I thought I may as well set the record straight.

11/28/2012 2:03 AM (edited)
The "tendency" is to force owners to make decisions.   Everyone knows that you take the great fielder with the great bat and put him in the line-up.   The entire game is based on making the decision between the great fielder with the hitting flaw, the great hitter with the weak arm or glove, or the average hitter who can field the position well.

It's beyond silly to think even 10-15% of the players should have all-star/HOF ratings in all categories.  
11/28/2012 8:19 AM
Who thinks that silly thing besides you?

You're talking about gaming the game o poster of obnoxious posts, which is the mistake WIS seems to have made, here.

I'm talking about making it more of a simulation of reality, which turns out to be more fun -- it "forces [GM's] to make decisions" that are like real baseball.
11/30/2012 3:09 PM

Pretty much everyone who doesn't start "MORE!!!! BETTER!!!" threads.

Since you broke out the "reality" card, how many 5 tool players are there currently in MLB?    Hit for average and power, steal or at least have very good speed, great arm and can cover ground like no one else then actually catch the ball?

I'll help.  First thing you do is eliminate anyone not in the middle of the field.   So you're left with CF, 2B and SS.      There are rougly 360 position players on BL rosters at any given time.   So, when you get to 36. you can stop listing players and I'll concede that you're right, that we need more super studs in HBD.

11/30/2012 6:51 PM
If there's anyone in these whereabouts whose opinion I don't care to delve into, MikeT23, it's yours. Whew.

Reader:

Here is the point. We put our money down to be the players who play out the role of, for the most part GM'ing and to some extent, other roles in managing a baseball franchise. We are the players for a realistic sim. We do the playing. We don't want to be played with, by the system being gamed.

Keep up the good work, WIS. Appreciate your interest in making your sim better and your asking for suggestions.

12/1/2012 1:51 AM
That's not 36.   In fact, you didn't even try to name one.   I guess you realized that there just aren't that many 5 tool players in MLB so, therefore, a simulation shouldn't be loaded with them.  Thanks for playing.
12/1/2012 8:20 AM
I'll guess the point Arlen is trying to make is that there are a certain number of player types. There are combinations that happen in the real word, if rarely, that never occur in HBD.

I've never seen a player with very high range, glove, & pitch calling. No reason I can think of that should be impossible.

There are other types of player that are frequent & others you never see. Not rarely see. Never see.
12/1/2012 6:48 PM
That's not what I gathered from his post at all.  Of course, I'm also aware that Arlen tends to ask for MORE!!!! BETTER!!! in every suggestion. 
12/2/2012 10:07 AM

Note to WIS - Related:

Also, please make sure that you aren't giving lower "Health" numbers to the top athletes (and maybe you'd like to audit other ratings, to make sure you aren't artificially penalizing players in some other ways, who have good ratings in certain categories).

12/3/2012 7:41 AM (edited)
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 12/3/2012 7:41:00 AM (view original):

Note to WIS - Related:

Also, please make sure that you aren't giving lower "Health" numbers to the top athletes (and maybe you'd like to audit other ratings, to make sure you aren't artificially penalizing players in some other ways, who have good ratings in certain categories).

Because "top athletes" should never suffer serious injuries?
12/3/2012 8:04 AM
123 Next ▸
DH's have such good eyes at the plate but others? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.