HBD dying a slow death. Topic

I mentioned the idea of a "traveling team" about 4 years ago.    No one liked the idea. 

1/8/2013 5:33 PM
4 years ago there was reason to believe WIS would maintain & improve HBD. And invest in attracting new players. Times change.

People who bother to post in this forum make up less than 1% of HBD players. I doubt WIS considers opinions here to represent a consensus.

1/8/2013 8:17 PM
Yet that 1% seems to throw out a lot of bad ideas. 
1/8/2013 8:19 PM
I think everyone who plays HBD has an appreciation for it.  Growing close to your team, and players.  However, one thing I know I would like to see, to keep me coming back and spending money, is either restarting a current world from scratch, or the creation of more new worlds.  Many openings are due to teams just being out right bad.  While some people like the challenge of rebuilding, others look at a 60 win team with weak minors and say "Why should I waste $100+ rebuilding a team someone else destroyed?"  If a world were to restart from season 1, and give everyone a brand new start, I think it wold be much more appealing.  Obviously it would be difficult to have everyone agree on doing this since there will be dominant teams who do not want to lose what they have worked hard to build, but something has to be done because spending $25 (unless you purchase the bundles) on a team with no glimmer of hope in a a league is just not appealing
1/14/2013 11:03 AM
cubsox214 - WIS could address that issue by pricing accordingly.  First 1 or 2 seasons free if you pay for 1 or 2 seasons after that now.

I don't think you'd ever get a majority of owners in a world that's in OK shape except for a few disaster teams to agree to wipe out all current teams & history & start over.
1/14/2013 2:48 PM
Thinking that a price reduction or give away of free teams is a viable solution to a problem that a number of people don't feel exists is rather short sighted.

I'm not sure how that would fit into WIS's business model.
1/14/2013 3:35 PM
You don't see a problem with worlds filling? Or with terrible teams that are harder to fill? Or with any real lack of incentives to build a team instead of changing teams?

WIS business model, as for as HBD goes, is f**ked. The numbers are there for us to see.

I don't think anyone who makes any decisions that matter at Fox cares about the HBD business model.  But that doesn't make it any less f**ked.
1/14/2013 4:15 PM
A couple of months ago, there were around 120 openings or so.  As of right now, I'm counting 77.  So worlds are filling.  Good worlds with good commissioners tend to fill quickly.

So no, I don't see a problem with worlds filling.
1/14/2013 4:24 PM
tecwrg - I realize there's no getting though to you on this, so you don't need to reply. I'm hoping to save others from the incorrect thinking you've fallen into.

Every wold can't be a good world. Every commissioner can't be a good commissioner.  All of the children can't be above average, either.

I'm sure I speak for most in being very happy for that you are in good worlds. You've earned it.  What you don't seem to care about is that you aren't everybody.

If HBD requires good commissioners to work, it's a bad business model.

Let's see what percentage of those $1 trials keep their teams for a 2nd and 3rd season. I hope most of them, but I doubt it.

$1 for a full season is a strong incentive to try & leave after 3 months. Wait for the next $1 offer.  1-2 free seasons if you stay 2-4 seasons is a strong incentive to stick with the same team.
1/14/2013 4:44 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/14/2013 4:24:00 PM (view original):
A couple of months ago, there were around 120 openings or so.  As of right now, I'm counting 77.  So worlds are filling.  Good worlds with good commissioners tend to fill quickly.

So no, I don't see a problem with worlds filling.
Thats because you're seeing the fruits of a short-lived promotion to give discounted seasons to new owners (read: aliases).

The worlds that rolled due to that discount are due to roll again in the next 1-2 weeks. Lets see how we're doing then.
1/14/2013 6:38 PM
Facts

There are three business models at work, one (an HBD league) within another (HBD) within another (WhatIfSports)

The business model you are discussing is not HBD. I have not waited for a league to fill in 2 years.

It is some HBD leagues.

Good management, league fills and rolls. Poor management, you wait. If you continually wait, your product (ie. League) or management (ie. Commissioner)is substandard. Period.
1/14/2013 7:05 PM

"Good management, league fills and rolls. Poor management, you wait. If you continually wait, your product (ie. League) or management (ie. Commissioner)is substandard. Period."

This. I have 6 teams, 1 public, 5 private. The leagues with the most active commish have both the highest retention rate and fastest rollover. Hands down.
1/15/2013 4:39 PM
I dont think anyone is arguing that the good worlds will roll without any problem.

However, when only maybe 30% - 40% of your worlds can be considered "good worlds"... perhaps there's another problem that needs to be addressed. (Not saying what that problem is, or how to fix it... just saying that there's a fundamental problem when so much a high percentage of your product is performing so poorly)
1/16/2013 3:54 PM

"Good management, league fills and rolls. Poor management, you wait. If you continually wait, your product (ie. League) or management (ie. Commissioner)is substandard. Period."

Disagree.  I can't run 31 other teams.  If some idiot runs his franchise poorly, it's tough to get someone take on a less than stellar team when said moron bails out.  Then say you do find someone to take the team over but they no longer wish to re-build or lose.  Then you go through 2,3,4 owners in as many years and the team is even tougher to have someone right the ship
1/16/2013 5:27 PM
That's kind of death's point.    You attempt to keep out the bailing morons and the one and doners. 
1/16/2013 5:29 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
HBD dying a slow death. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.