Coach Hiring Tweaks Topic

I haven’t read much about this other than most people don’t like coach hiring.  I don’t mind it too much, and it’s better than it used to be.

The problem I see is that in worlds with savvy owners, there are too many good coaches without jobs and too many crummy coaches in the minor leagues.  I know that in the engine, the coaches seeking jobs at the big-league level will drop their demands to AAA only during the last cycle.  And I believe that only happens if all the big league jobs are filled in that area.  Good owners recognize this.  And those owners who are not looking for the top of the heap in the big leagues can always wait until the last cycle to land their big-league coaches, promote a minor league coach above his demands, or hire a big-league coach from the pool above their demands in order to save money (all reasonable strategies).  Since this leaves open big-league jobs at the last cycle, good coaches never drop their demands.  This is also good strategy to help prevent fellow owners from getting solid coaches for their minor league staffs if they are waiting for demands to drop.  It’s also a way of “gaming the system” by preventing market competition, a concept that most of this game is built on.

I would suggest that coaches start to explore the idea of signing lower level contracts earlier, especially if the money is competitive and the openings at the higher levels are shrinking.  This would much more approximate a real competitive market situation.

1/24/2013 5:01 PM
No level demands.   Let the world sort out their level and pay grade.     Easiest solution ever.
1/24/2013 6:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/24/2013 6:27:00 PM (view original):
No level demands.   Let the world sort out their level and pay grade.     Easiest solution ever.
I agree. I believe IFA's and possibly even free agents should be the same way. Definitely IFA's though.
1/24/2013 9:21 PM
I don't really have a problem with a guy who made 1.8m last year asking for 1.8m again.  Maybe he gets it, maybe he doesn't.    But, like FA, he lowers his demands as the days go on if he's not getting offers.     But, if I want to pay him 1.9m to coach in AA, it seems like he should take it if no one is offer a BL/AAA gig.
1/25/2013 10:53 AM
I agree. I think IFA's should be that way too though for 2 reasons. 1 is their demands don't drop but also if you don't put a lot in scouting and see a guy asking for a lot it kinda gives it away. It's not a perfect method but it helps. The reason I said it for free agents is because its ridiculous that a guy asks for 3 years at $8 million per and then gets 5 years at $15 million per.
1/25/2013 11:14 AM
That's what I think is really dumb about this. Owners pay good minor league coaches to move up, sometimes just to get a guy under contract fast. The most talented coaches move up and up, then just sit there doing nothing. A backlog of qualified PCs and HCs waiting for BC jobs that are never going to come.
1/25/2013 11:16 AM
Posted by sportsboy010 on 1/25/2013 11:14:00 AM (view original):
I agree. I think IFA's should be that way too though for 2 reasons. 1 is their demands don't drop but also if you don't put a lot in scouting and see a guy asking for a lot it kinda gives it away. It's not a perfect method but it helps. The reason I said it for free agents is because its ridiculous that a guy asks for 3 years at $8 million per and then gets 5 years at $15 million per.
I suggested long ago that all IFA ask 100k.   If they're good, the owners will bid them up.   If they're not, they don't get offers and shoutd start dropping demands as they'll just be minor league filler.
1/25/2013 11:19 AM
Yep. You would think this is fairly simple...
1/25/2013 11:53 AM
Coach Hiring Tweaks Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.