Trading Draft Picks. MLB is finally doing it. Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 6/6/2013 10:46:00 AM (view original):
The problem with implementing something like this in HBD is that you would get some jackass owners in some worlds who would go hog-wild in accumulating draft picks to build their future super-team, and other jackass owners who would happily enable that for their own short-term and near-sighted reasons. 

Competitive balance in worlds that contain jackasses such as these would become even more skewed in the long run than they probably already are today, especially because you can get much more value per $ spent in the draft than you can in IFA.

This would be very, very, very bad for HBD as a whole.

But think of all the fun threads that would begin with "What is WifS gonna do to fill worlds?  We've been sitting for 14 weeks and no one will take our last two teams!!!!"

6/6/2013 11:30 AM
Trading current season draft picks might work. That would prevent a situation where nobody would want a team because it doesn't have any 1st round draft picks in the next few seasons.

Trading current season draft picks would do no more damage than can already be done other ways.  Not budgeting for scouting, not ranking picks, spending all the money on a mediocre IntFA and not signing picks.
6/6/2013 2:31 PM
While I know the motivation nordique has for getting this in (which is basically another n00b trade rape tool), I would not sneeze at draft picks, current season, and let private world rules dictate the use.
6/6/2013 2:56 PM
Current season = not so bad.    I know how it could be abused but there's always room for abuse.    As has already been mentioned, no Coll/HS budget would automatically trade picks to "sweeten the pot".    And, as you know, pot sweetening has been limited to cash.
6/6/2013 3:18 PM
I could live with (though not particularly care for) trading current season draft picks.  But to limit the damage, I would further restrict it by not allowing the trading of picks 1-16 (which are already protected from Type A FA compensation).
6/6/2013 3:57 PM
I'm sure it would 'tard things up in most worlds.  I wouldn't be for it unless there were ridiculous restricitons.
6/6/2013 4:06 PM
to everybody who told me trading draft picks is restricted, i know. but thats no reason to explore how much fun it could be in HBD. i like the discussion, very productive. like i said at 1st we can make it very restrictive just like you cant spend all your money on year 2, 3, 4 and 5 when u try to acquire free agents so as to not ruin the franchise. i can see so many trade offers that get rejected right now that would get approved by including picks.
6/6/2013 10:22 PM
Seriously, I'm on line as yes, good idea if the picks are current season. But how do they make a trade more likely to be accepted?

"I'll add my first round pick" "Oh, ok, I'll accept that deal now."
6/7/2013 10:38 AM
Well, yeah, that's why. 

"I can't find a player on your team that will complete this deal."
"OK, I'll throw in my first round pick."
"Done!!"
6/7/2013 10:46 AM
Posted by nordique93 on 6/6/2013 10:22:00 PM (view original):
to everybody who told me trading draft picks is restricted, i know. but thats no reason to explore how much fun it could be in HBD. i like the discussion, very productive. like i said at 1st we can make it very restrictive just like you cant spend all your money on year 2, 3, 4 and 5 when u try to acquire free agents so as to not ruin the franchise. i can see so many trade offers that get rejected right now that would get approved by including picks.
How much fun it could be = how much it could help you get value out of your draft picks which are a total waste now due to your scouting strategy.

It's hard to take you seriously given your past on this issue and the fact that you came in claiming to have taken a vote in which "most" of your world wants to trade picks when it looks like all of 3 people chimed in to the discussion and vote.
6/7/2013 10:48 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/7/2013 10:46:00 AM (view original):
Well, yeah, that's why. 

"I can't find a player on your team that will complete this deal."
"OK, I'll throw in my first round pick."
"Done!!"
No no, if I'm reading right, he means more trades will pass rather than be vetoed. I cannot draw that line.
6/7/2013 10:50 AM
I don't think you're reading it right.
6/7/2013 10:54 AM
Of course, I could be misinterpreting. That would be a first!
6/7/2013 10:54 AM

Accepted/rejected = trade between 2 owners
Approved/vetoed = decision of the other 30

6/7/2013 10:55 AM
And he said "trade offers", not trades.
6/7/2013 10:56 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Trading Draft Picks. MLB is finally doing it. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.