Trading Draft Picks. MLB is finally doing it. Topic

And I'm sure it's true that he could make a bunch of trades work that didn't before by tossing in draft picks that are worthless to him and worth something to an owner that's doing draft scouting.
6/7/2013 10:57 AM
FWIW, I'm sure I'd veto a lot more trades.   As I said earlier, it would be "pot sweetening" which is now done by including cash.   A guy with 0/0 will always "sweeten the pot" by including his picks.    Why shouldn't he?

This is one of these things that would DRASTICALLY alter the game for some.   I'd probably go 0/0 HS/College and invest in IFA scouting then include all my picks in trades.
6/7/2013 10:58 AM

Absolutely - you could do that, or it would also be a powerful new tool for someone who was ignoring prospects altogether and just investing in ML talent via trades/FA.

6/7/2013 11:00 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/7/2013 10:58:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, I'm sure I'd veto a lot more trades.   As I said earlier, it would be "pot sweetening" which is now done by including cash.   A guy with 0/0 will always "sweeten the pot" by including his picks.    Why shouldn't he?

This is one of these things that would DRASTICALLY alter the game for some.   I'd probably go 0/0 HS/College and invest in IFA scouting then include all my picks in trades.
Yes. IMO, the guys who are 0/0 have an advantage.  I would bottom those out and always trade my picks.

You also create a scenario where the rich can get richer.  The guys who are getting 100 wins a year who have traded any valuable prospects they have can trade picks now.  Seems off.  I feel like you'd have more uncompetitive worlds from year to year.
6/7/2013 11:08 AM
I don't know.

The thought of picking up 2 or 3 bottom of the first round picks cheap and draft 4 first rounders, of which you have a good chance of all making the show....it is tempting.
6/7/2013 11:19 AM
I'd rather the extra cash I'd get to spend on FA from not worrying about the draft, and also the ML talent I'd get from trading the picks I wasn't going to use anyway.
6/7/2013 11:26 AM
i would raise my HS/College budgets to raise the value of my picks.
6/7/2013 11:30 AM
If you're already at 0/0, I find that doubtful.  And I now believe I understand why you want to trade them.
6/7/2013 11:33 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/6/2013 3:57:00 PM (view original):
I could live with (though not particularly care for) trading current season draft picks.  But to limit the damage, I would further restrict it by not allowing the trading of picks 1-16 (which are already protected from Type A FA compensation).
agreed
6/7/2013 11:33 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/7/2013 11:33:00 AM (view original):
If you're already at 0/0, I find that doubtful.  And I now believe I understand why you want to trade them.
i would raise them to at least 4/4 because ive hit the jackpot a few times that way. way better than at 0/0
6/7/2013 11:35 AM
Posted by deathinahole on 6/7/2013 11:19:00 AM (view original):
I don't know.

The thought of picking up 2 or 3 bottom of the first round picks cheap and draft 4 first rounders, of which you have a good chance of all making the show....it is tempting.
yep, it depends on everyone's strategies. it seems to be opening up more strategies, and that seems like more fun to me.
6/7/2013 11:39 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 6/7/2013 10:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by nordique93 on 6/6/2013 10:22:00 PM (view original):
to everybody who told me trading draft picks is restricted, i know. but thats no reason to explore how much fun it could be in HBD. i like the discussion, very productive. like i said at 1st we can make it very restrictive just like you cant spend all your money on year 2, 3, 4 and 5 when u try to acquire free agents so as to not ruin the franchise. i can see so many trade offers that get rejected right now that would get approved by including picks.
How much fun it could be = how much it could help you get value out of your draft picks which are a total waste now due to your scouting strategy.

It's hard to take you seriously given your past on this issue and the fact that you came in claiming to have taken a vote in which "most" of your world wants to trade picks when it looks like all of 3 people chimed in to the discussion and vote.
we clearly stopped voting after 3 or 4 guys talked me into stopping trying to implement this on our own. i agreed and we stopped voting. i was trying to become the 1st world ever to trade picks, and that would have been our hook in the classifieds. but it seems just about impossible to implement without WIS putting it into the system. like i said before, personally i would change my 0/0 stategy of HS/College scouting to increase the value of my picks. ive hit the jackpot before at 4/4 but almost never when at 0/0
6/7/2013 11:45 AM
"more strategies" isn't necessarily a good thing.  If you could take your 185 and use it anyway you wanted to (60 in prospect, etc), that would be bad for the game.

This opens up more avenues for trade rape and probably more worlds with competitive imbalance.  I vote a hard no.
6/7/2013 11:47 AM
sure thats one way of looking at it but in the end i see more strategies and more fun. and the more we talk about it, the more solutions to make it better we are going to have. i already agree with most suggestions ive seen here. i say with start slow and go from there.
6/7/2013 11:51 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/7/2013 11:47:00 AM (view original):
"more strategies" isn't necessarily a good thing.  If you could take your 185 and use it anyway you wanted to (60 in prospect, etc), that would be bad for the game.

This opens up more avenues for trade rape and probably more worlds with competitive imbalance.  I vote a hard no.
how about we dont let newbies trade picks? give them, lets say 5 seasons under their belt before they can?
6/7/2013 11:57 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Trading Draft Picks. MLB is finally doing it. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.