MVP Candidates Formula Topic

A minor issue I know, but it is annoying to those of us who care about the postseason awards voting.
The value of + plays at 1B needs to be decreased in the formula for determining MVP candidates. Routinely I am seeing excellent candidates bumped off the list because they have a few - plays in LF or RF while above average hitters who could play corner OF are playing 1B, racking up tons of + plays, and make it on the list.
6/19/2015 11:19 AM
I hear that a lot but I guess it depends on how you view + plays in forming your opinion.

At worst, a + play prevents an extra base.
At best, a + play turns a hit into an out.

If you add 30 bases to a hitter's numbers, his slugging goes up .060 based on 500 AB.    In my mind, that's pretty significant.   If you consider them hits, you've turned a .300 hitter into a .360 hitter with the appropriate increases in OBP/SLG.    In turn, take hits/total bases away from those COF and they're not quite the same either.   I won't even bother to get into the effect +/- have on a pitching staff.
6/19/2015 11:34 AM
I understand the value of +/- plays as I typically have fielding teams in the upper third of my leagues or better. It's just that the game mechanics make it so easy for anyone not meant to be a C or DH to rack up a ton of + plays at 1B. That fact makes them feel much cheaper when evaluating someone to be the MVP of a league.
6/19/2015 4:57 PM
Do you really want + plays at 1B to be harder to get?    That's what I'm reading.
6/19/2015 5:26 PM
No, refer to the topic of this thread. They should be worth much less than + plays at more difficult fielding positions in the formula that generates the list of MVP candidates.
6/19/2015 5:48 PM
OK, which part of this do you disagree with?

At worst, a + play prevents an extra base.
At best, a + play turns a hit into an out.

6/19/2015 5:53 PM
Assuming neither, do you then think preventing a hit or extra base at SS is more valuable to a team than if a 1B prevents one?
6/19/2015 6:03 PM
MVP Candidates Formula Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.