New Bunch of Suggestions Topic

Im only in my 3rd GD season but these are already a few things I would suggest. Please read and tell me what you think
  1. A coach ratings system. Each coach will have rating categories.
  • There could be a rating for each position, so QB, LB etc and the higher your rating in each area the more your player will improve and get a small boost in a game.
  • A charisma rating.  The higher the rating in this area, the better you will be at convincing a recruit to come to your school, and of the rating is high enough, the easier it will be to pull down a DII or DIAA recruit that you normally wouldnt be able to.
  • A scouting rating, obviously the higher the rating, the easier it is to scout players and also scout teams.
  • Each coach would start out with a limited number of points to put into whichever ratings they like and you will receive more points for achievements such as have a winning season, win the conference, get a job at DII, Have 50 Career wins and so on..I think this will make the game interesting by making people decide if they want to be good at developing players or if they want to sign better players but not see as much developement.
          2.  Expand Rosters/ Realistic Scholorships
  • Ok D1A is allowed to have 85 scholorships in real life. DIAA is allowed 63 but the scholorships can be broken up. DII is allowed 36 and the scholorships can also be broken up.  I just think that would make they game a whole lot more interesting by deciding which players your going to offer a full scholorship and which ones your going to give a partial scholorship. And also just being able to maintain a larger roster.

3. Injuries/Bad Kids
  • If the roster were to be expanded(see #2) then I think these could be an awesome addition.  Make injuries more common, some injuries might force a kid out for the game, some a half, some for a season.  Also implement a GPA that players have to maintain or else they will be suspended.  Then add player personalities to wear some kids might be trouble makers and start fights, or they give the coach attitude or something of that nature.  Then you the coach will have to decide what you want to do: suspend the player or let it slide by.  Other members on the team could be affected by those decisions like having your star running back with an attitude problem and your new freshman running sees the star not being punished and so he begins to act out, or maybe his work ethic drops. There are so many possibilities.
          4. Redshirting
  • With expanded rosters, make it so you can redshirt as many players as you want, but only if the player agrees.  Inform the player in the recruiting process that you intend to redshirt him and lower level recruits will generally be ok with it but higher rated recuits wont.  Also if there are more injuries (see# 3) then medical redshirting could come into play more.
          5. Transfers
  • Make kids transfering a part of the game, some kids will transfer because they want more playing time, other because they want to be closer to home, others because they want to play for a succesful program.  Make tranfering from DIA to DIAA or DII possible.  Also implement the madantory year wait if a player transfers from one DIA school to another DIA school, or DII school to DII school, etc
          6.  Diamond in the Rough
  • Have there be some players that, for instance, are a pretty average DII you scout and appears to have average potential and suddenly the kid turns out to be an amazing player with all american type ratings by his senior year.  Just throw some random guys every once in a while that dont really look like much to the naked eye but they just randomly improve to be excellent players. Or get a kid that looks to be a career backup and never really get much playing time but he suddenly becomes a solid player for you by his junior/senior year.
          7.  More plays/formations/styles
  • So much is happening in college lately with teams running hurry up offenses and running a play every 12 or so seconds, to the option, to just smashmouth football.  WE just need to have more options to taylor gameplans to the types of teams we have, or want to have.
          8. Ability to hire defensive/offensive coordinators.
  • Be able to hire coordinators, maybe if you have good charisma (see# 1) you can sway a decent coordinator to your school, or maybe you have had a few succesful defensive teams and that is enough to convince a good defensive coordinator to come to your school.  The coordinators will be able to affect player developement, some areas of recruiting, and scouting.  The coordinators could aslo have rating similar to what head coaches have.
          9.  Cross Division Competition
  • Be able to schedule games such as a DIII team against a DII team.  I think this could be beneficial by strengthening a lower divisions schedule but also ammounting to a win the majority of the time for the higher divisions team.  I still trying to figure out more of an incentive to encourage this cross division competition.
          10. Too many games
  • Make a regular season schedule 11 or 12 games simply just to be more realistic.  Also not all conferences play a conference championship game.
          11. Accurate Team Placement
  • It truly pains me to see North Dakota State, North Dakota, Southdakota State etc, still in DII on this game.  They all play in DIAA now and im sure there are many other similar cases of teams not in the right division, so i would like to see a new world that is accurate to the modern day landscape of college football.  Also I personally could care less about every conference having the same number of teams and all that crap.  I just want an accurate representation of college football.    
          12. Accurate Positions
  • Its been made a step closer with 3.0 but why not go the extra mile and simply recruit players as a Fullback, or a Outside Linbacker, or a Strong Safety
          13. Postion Changes
  • I feel like I should be able to switch players positions without such extreme rating hits,  I want to bee able to switch my running to DB and not have his tackling go from 27 to 5 or whatever.  If his tackling is 27 it should be 27 period.  Or maybe i want to switch an offensive lineman to be my blocking TE and not have his speed go from 22 down to 7. His speed is 22 and i simply just dont see the logic in dropping it down to 7 or whatever the case may be. 

Well thats all i got on the top of my head right now but im sure i will have more to come.  BTW im also aware of the numerous grammar errors, i put them in there to keep you on your toes.
11/25/2013 4:06 PM
So, seeing this, I have two things to say. Apologies for not expanding on such statements as I am on my phone.

1) Over half of this I have seen suggested frequently, and most of those I think would be good implementation.
2) I do think you are wanting it to be a little more "Madden-esque" as far as coaches and coach ratings go (and by that I mean like the NCAA game, but "NCAA-esque" sounded weird lol).
12/4/2013 12:04 AM
Re: #2 from timberdrive, that would seem to fit the HBD model where you have to hire and retain a coaching staff each season. A few other things I'd add as I've come back to try 3.0 and remember a few reasons why I had been gone for nearly 20 seasons...

1) let coaches redshirt w/out needing another season paid for. give somebody a full set of keys if they're going to play.  
2) along the same lines, let coaches schedule games for the next season w/out needing another season paid for. it's not like that in HD, so I don't see why it's a problem in GD. 
3) I know I've seen this stated elsewhere, but make the coaches corner more like HD so coaches can post in another conference. otherwise, communication is done by sitemail and it seems to lessens the amount of communication that you can have in your world. 
12/4/2013 9:29 PM
I played Sim Racing here before & was looking forward to trying that again but seems that no longer exists anymore. I've just finished 2 seasons in 2 different worlds.Both were fun but I think I should have had a shot at the conference title. I think 11-2 & 10-3 is good enough. Hopefully season 2 for both my teams will mean title shots. My issue is there is absolutely WAAAAAYYYY too much time between the end of the regular season & the start of the new season. I'm not in the playoffs so for 2 weeks I'm doing NOTHING. I can't even research & follow more than 100 players. Even when I remove guys from the list, I'm still locked into that 100. We need some changes so that there is more going on between end of regular season & hiring/recruiting begins the next season. That may be the one thing that drives me away. After 2-3 days I'm tired of waiting & I want to get started on the next season. Let's do something about that!
1/3/2014 6:01 AM
Posted by idkc_geez on 11/25/2013 4:06:00 PM (view original):
Im only in my 3rd GD season but these are already a few things I would suggest. Please read and tell me what you think
  1. A coach ratings system. Each coach will have rating categories.
  • There could be a rating for each position, so QB, LB etc and the higher your rating in each area the more your player will improve and get a small boost in a game.
  • A charisma rating.  The higher the rating in this area, the better you will be at convincing a recruit to come to your school, and of the rating is high enough, the easier it will be to pull down a DII or DIAA recruit that you normally wouldnt be able to.
  • A scouting rating, obviously the higher the rating, the easier it is to scout players and also scout teams.
  • Each coach would start out with a limited number of points to put into whichever ratings they like and you will receive more points for achievements such as have a winning season, win the conference, get a job at DII, Have 50 Career wins and so on..I think this will make the game interesting by making people decide if they want to be good at developing players or if they want to sign better players but not see as much developement.
          2.  Expand Rosters/ Realistic Scholorships
  • Ok D1A is allowed to have 85 scholorships in real life. DIAA is allowed 63 but the scholorships can be broken up. DII is allowed 36 and the scholorships can also be broken up.  I just think that would make they game a whole lot more interesting by deciding which players your going to offer a full scholorship and which ones your going to give a partial scholorship. And also just being able to maintain a larger roster.

3. Injuries/Bad Kids
  • If the roster were to be expanded(see #2) then I think these could be an awesome addition.  Make injuries more common, some injuries might force a kid out for the game, some a half, some for a season.  Also implement a GPA that players have to maintain or else they will be suspended.  Then add player personalities to wear some kids might be trouble makers and start fights, or they give the coach attitude or something of that nature.  Then you the coach will have to decide what you want to do: suspend the player or let it slide by.  Other members on the team could be affected by those decisions like having your star running back with an attitude problem and your new freshman running sees the star not being punished and so he begins to act out, or maybe his work ethic drops. There are so many possibilities.
          4. Redshirting
  • With expanded rosters, make it so you can redshirt as many players as you want, but only if the player agrees.  Inform the player in the recruiting process that you intend to redshirt him and lower level recruits will generally be ok with it but higher rated recuits wont.  Also if there are more injuries (see# 3) then medical redshirting could come into play more.
          5. Transfers
  • Make kids transfering a part of the game, some kids will transfer because they want more playing time, other because they want to be closer to home, others because they want to play for a succesful program.  Make tranfering from DIA to DIAA or DII possible.  Also implement the madantory year wait if a player transfers from one DIA school to another DIA school, or DII school to DII school, etc
          6.  Diamond in the Rough
  • Have there be some players that, for instance, are a pretty average DII you scout and appears to have average potential and suddenly the kid turns out to be an amazing player with all american type ratings by his senior year.  Just throw some random guys every once in a while that dont really look like much to the naked eye but they just randomly improve to be excellent players. Or get a kid that looks to be a career backup and never really get much playing time but he suddenly becomes a solid player for you by his junior/senior year.
          7.  More plays/formations/styles
  • So much is happening in college lately with teams running hurry up offenses and running a play every 12 or so seconds, to the option, to just smashmouth football.  WE just need to have more options to taylor gameplans to the types of teams we have, or want to have.
          8. Ability to hire defensive/offensive coordinators.
  • Be able to hire coordinators, maybe if you have good charisma (see# 1) you can sway a decent coordinator to your school, or maybe you have had a few succesful defensive teams and that is enough to convince a good defensive coordinator to come to your school.  The coordinators will be able to affect player developement, some areas of recruiting, and scouting.  The coordinators could aslo have rating similar to what head coaches have.
          9.  Cross Division Competition
  • Be able to schedule games such as a DIII team against a DII team.  I think this could be beneficial by strengthening a lower divisions schedule but also ammounting to a win the majority of the time for the higher divisions team.  I still trying to figure out more of an incentive to encourage this cross division competition.
          10. Too many games
  • Make a regular season schedule 11 or 12 games simply just to be more realistic.  Also not all conferences play a conference championship game.
          11. Accurate Team Placement
  • It truly pains me to see North Dakota State, North Dakota, Southdakota State etc, still in DII on this game.  They all play in DIAA now and im sure there are many other similar cases of teams not in the right division, so i would like to see a new world that is accurate to the modern day landscape of college football.  Also I personally could care less about every conference having the same number of teams and all that crap.  I just want an accurate representation of college football.    
          12. Accurate Positions
  • Its been made a step closer with 3.0 but why not go the extra mile and simply recruit players as a Fullback, or a Outside Linbacker, or a Strong Safety
          13. Postion Changes
  • I feel like I should be able to switch players positions without such extreme rating hits,  I want to bee able to switch my running to DB and not have his tackling go from 27 to 5 or whatever.  If his tackling is 27 it should be 27 period.  Or maybe i want to switch an offensive lineman to be my blocking TE and not have his speed go from 22 down to 7. His speed is 22 and i simply just dont see the logic in dropping it down to 7 or whatever the case may be. 

Well thats all i got on the top of my head right now but im sure i will have more to come.  BTW im also aware of the numerous grammar errors, i put them in there to keep you on your toes.
1.  No.  Makes good coaches better.    Puts new coaches further behind the 8 ball.  It will make the better teams tougher to knock off.
2.  No.  Adding to the roster will eliminate strategy because your 70-85th player will likely never see the field.  With the current roster size , the roster makeup is part of the game strategy.    Additionally, once stamina is corrected, it should mean something.   Besides, the better recruiters will end up with even more of the better recruits, adding to the talent disparity.
3.   Used to have more serious injuries, but only serious injuries.  I agree that injuries should be part of the game.  It adds to the strategy, especially with a 50 man roster size.   Plus, we used to have decisions where we could kick players off the team for breaking team rules, very helpful when rebuilding. 
4.  Adds to startegy.  Like it
5.  Agreed, especially, players not getting playing time.
6.  Interesting.  Adding a lottery aspect may not go over well though, especially if the player turns into a stud of studs
7.  Debatable. You can recruit to any style already.  You can run different formations already assign carries, etc.  
8. Coach hiring is the worst part of HBD.   Additionally, wouldn't the better coaches have the better coordinators most often - adding to the talent disparity?
9. Used to be able to do this in exhibition games.   When jconte destroyed the engine, it made these matchups result in unrealistic results.  Thus, WIS blocked interdivisional matchups.
10.  Schedule is fine.   Conference championships are fine.   Changing schedule formats, conference sizes will cause too many issues with the program, and could create schools with decided significant advantages or disadvantages due to different route to playoffs
11.  Moving teams as they switch conferences, divisions causes problems with programing as they may create odd sized conferences, unbalanced schedules, etc.  Additionally, I have been in conferences where a group of friends join to play in the same conference.   Do you want to have one of them start over because WIS moves one of the teams?  What if the team moves down to a lower division?  Is that fair to the coach who would go down with them?
12.  Flexibility is good.  RBs should be FBs and HBs,   It allows 2 different coaches to see players differently for different roles
13.  Position changes used to be different.    However, there were some exploitations that made decent LBs turn into stud RBs and P turn into great QBs.  

1/11/2014 12:24 AM
 I think it would be fun to recruit "Athletes" that could play one of multiple positions.  For example - The player could be recruited to play on the offensive side of the ball (with good ratings) or defensive side of the ball (with excellent ratings) -  The player would have a preference as to what position they would like to play and that could sway their decision as to which school they choose to commit.

1/27/2014 12:58 PM
This game is 100% broken becuase recruiting sucks.  It punishes scouting and rewards  those who throw their money hard off the bat, and also does not reward a player for keeping up a relationship with a player.  Worst of all is how a player will by every account be completely 100% on board and then lose interest after signing day.  It is complete BS.  You can scout players that no one is coveting, purely in your back yard, spend every dime you have on them and end up missing out because some ***** snipes them at the last second?!?!?!  Do you ever see a kid at a table with three hats announcing which team he is going to pick, get a phone call and say, excuse me... I am going to go on a campus visit to another school right now, and I likely will sign with them instead. 
2/23/2014 11:38 AM
Some good ideas. I love the idea on redshirting.One thing I'd like to see is allowing us to redshirt in-season WITHOUT needing to have an additional season. Most of the time I don't have the funds available to buy an additional season. With seasons staggered across all the worlds it makes it difficult. I play in multiple worlds. We should be able to redshirt ANYTIME during a current season regardless of whether we have an additional season or not.

I also like the idea of having at least a LITTLE more flexibility in game planning. I think D3 should be allowed 4 playbooks. That would allow 2 pass, 2 run or any combo of plays. Sometimes when taking over a team I'm stuck with using the formations the team has become strong in even though I prefer different formations. We should be able to use a playbook where our ratings are good AND be able to develop one we would actually prefer. With only  3 that limits us (IMO) to a pass, run & balanced playbook. Same with defense. Limited to pass & run defense & balanced. We need at least 1 more as a 'wildcard' or that we can customize.

D3 needs to be able to have our starters depth chart and subs. As it is now, we either have to use all starters or go in before 2pm or 2am & move players. Our reserves are getting ****** off because we cant play them enough. Ive gone in & adjusted stamina ratings to hopefully sub more & it still doesn't do much.

I'd  like to see the game played in quarters & game times be at better hours. I think games should be between noon & 8pm. Yes I know there are diff time zones but I still thin this can be improved.

I'd  like us to be able to practice ANY time during a specific period. Maybe have a set number of days or hours we can practice each 'season'. We should be able to see some results after each one (or after 2-3 practices). I don't like the  tiny incrementals that only show up after days/weeks. We need something like a spring practice & spring game. I know we have 3 exhibitions but those are all while recruiting is going on & JUST prior to the season.Id like to see us able to do more between seasons.

I LOVE the idea of some sort of rating/report on player conduct. One thing I HATE is going after a kid only to have him ask about the parties or 'hunnies'. Once I hear that or they say something about theyre the best or 'throwing green' at  them, i delete them. Talented or not, I'm not interested in cocky players. I also HATE getting a reply that sounds like a 2nd grader wrote it. That seems to be a LITTLE better lately but I'd rather know ahead of time if they can & do at least know basic english.
I did get a few replies recently that said mom didnt even show the recruit my letter or that I'd called or a guy told me NO CHANCE. Cmon now!

I TOTALLY agree about losing a guy who seems a lock. THAT really ****** me off. If a guy is undecided/unrecruited or has only ONE other team after them then they are NOT too busy to talk with me. If a guy is set on a team he should say so SPECIFICALLY. I also hate when a guy is undecided or says Im at the top yet won't make a move for 4-5 cycles. Either sign or flat out tell us NOT INTERESTED. Nobody WANTS to waste their  money/time during recruiting.

10/10/2014 10:37 AM
New Bunch of Suggestions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.