Another Tragedy Caused by an Armed Citizen Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

Detroit— Police today identified the gunman who walked into a police precinct Sunday afternoon and opened fire with a shotgun, injuring four officers before return gunfire took his life. Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee identified the man as 38-year-old Lamar Moore of Detroit. Moore entered the 6th Precinct on the city's northwest side about 4:30 p.m. and shot Cmdr. Brian Davis, in charge of the precinct, Officer David Anderson, Sgt. Ray Saati and Sgt. Carrie Schulz.

Davis and Anderson are in stable condition at Sinai-Grace Hospital, Godbee said today. Saati and Schulz have been released from the hospital. All are expected to recover, Godbee said.

Davis was shot in the hand and side and underwent surgery Sunday evening. Anderson was struck in the head but was alert and talking and moving his limbs on Sunday.

Saati was also struck, as was Schulz . Schulz was hit in the chest but was wearing a bulletproof vest.

"It was a rough weekend for all of us but we're going to stand tall," Godbee said today at a morning press conference at police headquarters, where he also addressed the city's alleged serial rape case. "We're not gong to give up. We're not discouraged in the least."

Godbee said Moore has a believed relative due in court today to be sentenced for a double homicide.

Venson Robert Hibbit is to be sentenced today on two counts of second-degree murder, for being a felon in possession of firearm and one count of assault with intent to murder. The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office couldn't confirm if the two were related.

Police say Hibbit, 27, killed two people at a mechanic's shop because he was upset about a car he purchased there.

Godbee also said Mayor Dave Bing and Deputy Mayor Saul Green have promised whatever resources police need to make the precincts safer. Goodbee declined to say what changes would be made for security reasons.

The 6th precinct, considered a crime scene, is temporarily shut down, police said Sunday. Residents needing to file police reports can go to the 10th and 12th precincts or call (313) 596-2200.

The Detroit City Council is expected to discuss the issue during its Public Health and Safety Committee session today. Green was scheduled to attend the session to discuss issues with EMS, and the federal monitor was also set to address the group, Councilman Gary Brown said.

1/24/2011 11:25 AM
They should make a law that murdering people is illegal.

I guess criminals dont follow the laws. Just like a criminal gets illegal firearms.
1/24/2011 4:25 PM
Dude.  People. Dead.  "Well, it's against the law." is like the shittiest argument you could possibly make.
1/24/2011 4:34 PM
My point is that gun control doesnt work.

Making guns illegal is no more effective than making murder illegal.

Only law abiding citizens follow the laws.
1/24/2011 6:29 PM
Posted by rlahann on 1/24/2011 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Dude.  People. Dead.  "Well, it's against the law." is like the shittiest argument you could possibly make.
It's his anti-human worldview kicking in again. The real tragedy to him is that the deaths can't be spun to support his political causes.
1/24/2011 7:29 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/24/2011 6:29:00 PM (view original):
My point is that gun control doesnt work.

Making guns illegal is no more effective than making murder illegal.

Only law abiding citizens follow the laws.
Wait, what? So you don't think murder being illegal has reduced homicides?
1/24/2011 8:34 PM
You do realize that the vast majority of murders are not pre-meditated, right?    And, those who commit pre-meditated murders do know that it's illegal, right?

So, if you agree with these two simple facts, how many murders do you think aren't committed because it's illegal?
1/24/2011 9:04 PM
Well, I mean, the proof is in the negative stats, you know?
1/24/2011 9:34 PM
Also, Hey, MIKET23!  What brings you down here?
1/24/2011 9:35 PM

Slumming in the NFL forum, saw the non-sports forum, thought it might find something funny and decided to poke at some gun control nuts.

1/24/2011 9:39 PM
Anyhow, I could buy that guns make murder easier but less murders aren't committed because it's illegal.   I doubt anyone has said "Damn, if I shoot that dude one more time, he might die.  And then I'll be in all kinds of trouble!!!"

But back to easier murders.   If we had to commit all our murders by beatings, fat America would get too winded to finish the job.
1/24/2011 9:43 PM
I think you're wrong about the murder angle...but I could be wrong.  My data for this argument is based entirely on movies I've seen, so, there's that.

Don't call out fat dudes in a Swamphawk thread.  It's just poor taste.
1/24/2011 9:48 PM
I am well aware of Mike23's negative depictions of overweight people from the HBD forums.

The point is that gun control doesnt work. The cities with strong gun control are the most violent and the Counties with right to carry laws are the safest.

We need to control crime and not guns!
1/25/2011 4:09 AM
1|2|3...33 Next ▸
Another Tragedy Caused by an Armed Citizen Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.