what would you do if put in charge ? Topic

since I said what I would do...what would you do if you could change 5 things if you were put in charge ? Hopefully this will be interesting topic as I would like to know
4/19/2012 12:14 PM
TERM LIMITS- FOR CONRESS  2 YEAR 2 TERMS FOR HOUSE, 1 6 YEAR TERM FER SENATE -- 1 6 YEAR TERM FOR PREZ, VICE-PREZ IS INELIGBLE TO RUN IN NEXT TERM.

RE-INTRODUCE THE DRAFT---MUST SERVE THE MILITARY, BORDER PATROL, PEACE CORPS, OR HIGHWAY DEPT---2 YEAR MINIMUM

BAN LOBBYISTS FROM WITHIN 200 MILES OF WASH. D.C.

CONGRESS MUST HAVE SAME HEALTH CARE PLAN OF AVG. AMERIKAN-- PAY RAISE FOR CONGRESS VOTED BY NATIONAL REFERENDUM

FINALLY TAKE CARE OF NATIVE AMERIKANS-- GIVE THEM HALF OF ALL FEDERALLY OWNED LAND

4/19/2012 12:25 PM
wow great list - not sure about the last one though. My brother works with the native americans as a CPA. he says the stuff they get from the US government is mind boggling - and they always want more.

I would love nothing more than to get my lazy a$$ son into the Army. He won't go on a Mission and won't join the military. Whats a mormon father to do?

good job AC.
4/19/2012 1:15 PM
CONSIDERING YOU HONKIES STOLE IT FROM US, THELD WANT MORE
4/19/2012 1:20 PM
GIVE US BACK OUR LAND!!!!!
4/19/2012 1:56 PM
How about we give you New York City, Detroit and several sections of New Jersey back ?
4/19/2012 2:38 PM
Hey! We bought NYC fair and square. 

HOKA! HOKA! HEY! HEY!

4/19/2012 3:19 PM
1.  Set an agenda based on freedom and then lead from it.
2.  Overhaul the tax system in conjunction with dismantling the IRS -  progress to a fair tax.  Allow (almost) everyone to have "skin in the game".  First 30K/year not taxed at all.  First 10K of capital gains for individuals not taxed at all.  No hidden federal taxes on items like gasoline.
3.  Dramatically reduce taxes on businesses (see item #2) so the US can compete in the world market for businesses to return or relocate here.
4.  Allow up to 50% tax CREDIT (not income deduction) for specific charitable giving - limited to food/clothing/shelter and get the federal government out of that business altogether.  Let the local governnments attack that if they wish.
5.  Divorce healthcare from corporations' benefit package (in other words pay the employee and let them choose from employer-negotiated group insurance or go outside of the company, allowing insurance to be portable state-to-state.

That's only 5.  I'd probably add 20 more. 
4/19/2012 3:45 PM
5.  Divorce healthcare from corporations' benefit package (in other words pay the employee and let them choose from employer-negotiated group insurance or go outside of the company, allowing insurance to be portable state-to-state.

not sure how I feel about that. Do you think that would solve some of our Heath care problems ? I kind of like my companies health insurance - $180 a month, $15 co-pay.
4/19/2012 5:14 PM
Posted by micki on 4/19/2012 5:14:00 PM (view original):

not sure how I feel about that. Do you think that would solve some of our Heath care problems ? I kind of like my companies health insurance - $180 a month, $15 co-pay.
The problem with the setup on this issue, as I see it is:

You pay that rate and co-pay, while your company pays the rest of the premium to the group. You are still earning that money the company pays.  It's just not passing through your accounts.  This helps to make the costs are transparent to the user, which gives you less decision-making ability on the procedures you need.  The plans are selected by the company meaning there is less competition between insurance companies.  Market pricing does not occur because insurance companies and (mostly) Medicare decide what they'll pay.  Providers make up the shortfalls from the "single-payer portion" (Fed- Medicare, State - Medicaid) which often doesn't even cover what the provider has to pay to accomplish a procedure, by charging non-market rates to everyone else, leaving the less insured (or uninsured) to pay even higher prices.  People being directly involved with payment of premiums and actual costs present actual market forces on pricing, which will help keep costs in line.

One of the many problems with going toward the current President's vision of "single payer" is that the single payer sets the price of what gets paid for care, regardless of actual cost, or better yet, with an eye on limiting what the provider can make.  This takes away freedom from the provider of the product or service to pursue a profitable venture, which should be their right as a business entity.  Once that goes away, it will act as a limiter to the supply of the product or service because there will be better options for people to get into a different business than healthcare.

Part of the reason the healthcare system is broken is because people aren't exposed to the true costs, and because they do not exert the type of market force that occurs in other sectors.

(This is only a snapshot of the picture as I understand it).
4/19/2012 5:32 PM
I understand, kind of, what you are saying. It makes my head hurt though.  I recently tore my ACL/MCL skiing. What the doctors/staff/Physical Therapy charges are outrageos. I pay my $2000 deductable and really have not thought much more about it, figuring it is the insurance companies problem. I can see how your solution could make a difference.
4/19/2012 6:29 PM
Posted by silentpadna on 4/19/2012 5:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by micki on 4/19/2012 5:14:00 PM (view original):

The problem with the setup on this issue, as I see it is:

You pay that rate and co-pay, while your company pays the rest of the premium to the group. You are still earning that money the company pays.  It's just not passing through your accounts.  This helps to make the costs are transparent to the user, which gives you less decision-making ability on the procedures you need.  The plans are selected by the company meaning there is less competition between insurance companies.  Market pricing does not occur because insurance companies and (mostly) Medicare decide what they'll pay.  Providers make up the shortfalls from the "single-payer portion" (Fed- Medicare, State - Medicaid) which often doesn't even cover what the provider has to pay to accomplish a procedure, by charging non-market rates to everyone else, leaving the less insured (or uninsured) to pay even higher prices.  People being directly involved with payment of premiums and actual costs present actual market forces on pricing, which will help keep costs in line.

One of the many problems with going toward the current President's vision of "single payer" is that the single payer sets the price of what gets paid for care, regardless of actual cost, or better yet, with an eye on limiting what the provider can make.  This takes away freedom from the provider of the product or service to pursue a profitable venture, which should be their right as a business entity.  Once that goes away, it will act as a limiter to the supply of the product or service because there will be better options for people to get into a different business than healthcare.

Part of the reason the healthcare system is broken is because people aren't exposed to the true costs, and because they do not exert the type of market force that occurs in other sectors.

(This is only a snapshot of the picture as I understand it).
True costs in healthcare do not exist.  Providers have no ******* idea what a procedure itself is worth related to their operation's expenses and they don't care.  There are thousands of different ways to bill thousands of different things and the way they approach it is much closer to vegas oddsmaking than it is to corporate accounting.  This isn't a system that is going to be changed without large quantities of explosive.
4/20/2012 7:49 PM
I don't know if you need explosives.    If doctors/surgeons had a menu, you'd know what they charge and you could shop around.

Broken leg - $388
Blood test - $225
Physical - $75
4/20/2012 8:05 PM
but I want to pay for my broken leg using 5 different methods!
4/20/2012 8:08 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/20/2012 8:05:00 PM (view original):
I don't know if you need explosives.    If doctors/surgeons had a menu, you'd know what they charge and you could shop around.

Broken leg - $388
Blood test - $225
Physical - $75

They can't have that.  Because if it costs the doctors $325 to provide the $388 procedure, the government will tell them Medicare will only pay $145, leaving the insureds and uninsured to pay the difference.  Or they can not take Medicare at all and charge $370 and have an acceptable profit level.

But the broader point is, if you knew the costs, you could shop.  As long as it's camoflauged and we live under the illusion that it's "free" if it's paid for by someone else, it will continue to be obscure.........

4/22/2012 5:06 PM
12 Next ▸
what would you do if put in charge ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.