THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/20/2012 2:49:00 AM (view original):
I never said anything about what the Catholics believe.

You posted: Cutting assistance programs is a mortal sin. No way around it.

To which I replied: God commanded that each INDIVIDUAL should take care of their brother, He didn't say the government.should.

And I replied, why are we cherry picking in what we want to believe god said. Why are we not killing all those that don't go to church on the Sabbath?
10/20/2012 2:52 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/20/2012 2:51:00 AM (view original):
I never argued that they were right either.

I simply clarified their position a bit more clearly.

You don't know their position if you don't know and/or care what the catechism says.
10/20/2012 2:53 AM
Obviously you are very tainted towards organized religion. Certainly there are tons and tons of terrible people in positions of power in the CC. There are also tons and tons of "religious leaders" who are immoral and are conmen.

Those facts still in no way should be held against actual devout Christians who do indeed help their brother. The Christians in this nation are responsible for doing more good throughout the world than any other group of people in the world.

10/20/2012 2:54 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/20/2012 2:29:00 AM (view original):
God commanded that each INDIVIDUAL should take care of their brother, He didn't say the government.should.
But if "We the people" are the government, then it would make sense that we have a moral obligation to do something. To do nothing is to invite anarchy.
And Paul is quite clear that governments are instituted by God, and that we should obey government, follow the laws, etc.

Quite a bit about love of money, hypocrisy, greed and pride being bad things however.

10/20/2012 2:55 AM
Posted by The Taint on 10/20/2012 2:53:00 AM (view original):

You don't know their position if you don't know and/or care what the catechism says.
That's pretty narrow minded.

I can certainly understand a position I do not agree with. Humans are capable of empathy are we not?

What part of my clarification of their position is in error?

They  are only forcing businesses to pay for healthcare which facilitates others ability to commit that sin.

So the only thing they can do to avoid having to facilitate that which is abhorrent to them is shut the doors of their businesses.

10/20/2012 2:57 AM
Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesars.
10/20/2012 2:58 AM
I think the Catholic position is dead wrong.
At least concerning contraceptives. I don't think their "no contraception doctrine" is very well supported Biblically..

But that doesn't change the fact that many of them DO believe that.

10/20/2012 3:04 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/20/2012 2:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 10/20/2012 2:53:00 AM (view original):

That's pretty narrow minded.

I can certainly understand a position I do not agree with. Humans are capable of empathy are we not?

What part of my clarification of their position is in error?

They  are only forcing businesses to pay for healthcare which facilitates others ability to commit that sin.

So the only thing they can do to avoid having to facilitate that which is abhorrent to them is shut the doors of their businesses.

Their position is one of hypocrisy. You either follow the catechism or you don't. You don't get to pick and choose.
10/20/2012 3:05 AM
So then other than the fact that the Institution of the CC is hypocritical, and therefore not entitled to rights in your mind, you find no factual error in my paraphrasing of their position?
10/20/2012 3:07 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/20/2012 3:05:00 AM (view original):
I think the Catholic position is dead wrong.
At least concerning contraceptives. I don't think their "no contraception doctrine" is very well supported Biblically..

But that doesn't change the fact that many of them DO believe that.

Something we agree on there.

Even my ex wife who never missed church, loved to spout biblical verse, and loved the Catholic Church like no other, used birth control, loved to flick the bean(especially for me), and in the end got divorced from me. Of course with a sizable donation the marriage was annulled. Three mortals right there!
10/20/2012 3:09 AM
They are deplorable.

That's what the whole Protestant reformation was all about.

They have been "getting grandma out of purgatory" for a sizable donation for 1500 years or more.

Many of their teachings are in direct opposition to what is actually written in the Word

10/20/2012 3:14 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/20/2012 3:07:00 AM (view original):
So then other than the fact that the Institution of the CC is hypocritical, and therefore not entitled to rights in your mind, you find no factual error in my paraphrasing of their position?
I'll grant them some rights when they start paying taxes like any other business.
10/20/2012 3:15 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/20/2012 3:14:00 AM (view original):
They are deplorable.

That's what the whole Protestant reformation was all about.

They have been "getting grandma out of purgatory" for a sizable donation for 1500 years or more.

Many of their teachings are in direct opposition to what is actually written in the Word

Almost everything these days is in direct opposition to what is written in the word. Unless of course you want to completely toss out the Old Testament.
10/20/2012 3:17 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 10/20/2012 2:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/20/2012 2:29:00 AM (view original):
God commanded that each INDIVIDUAL should take care of their brother, He didn't say the government.should.
But if "We the people" are the government, then it would make sense that we have a moral obligation to do something. To do nothing is to invite anarchy.
And Paul is quite clear that governments are instituted by God, and that we should obey government, follow the laws, etc.

Quite a bit about love of money, hypocrisy, greed and pride being bad things however.

Those are some valid points seamar.

I, personally, feel it is lazy to let the government inefficiently "help the poot" when the individual can do so much more effectively and also be a witness to those we help. Letting uncle sam mail out checks to the poor, rather than getting out there and helping your brother on your own isn't something I think God would be proud of.

But that's just my opinion.

10/20/2012 3:18 AM
I think that's one of the last things God wouldn't be proud of these days.
10/20/2012 3:22 AM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.