THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

I would go as far as saying that belief in god alone does not make you a member of a religion. Membership of a religion requires a conscious effort to take part in that religion - the rituals, traditions, the moral code, etc, etc. You can't be religious by default.

If you identify as atheist, you are of that religion. It requires nothing more than that.

As I already explained, rituals, traditions, and moral codes are not necessary in a religion. Only a belief regarding the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe.
12/14/2012 1:35 PM
The atheist I work with says anyone that thinks atheism is a religion is the dumbest **** ever.
12/14/2012 1:40 PM
"I believe there is life on other planets. That is an idea about the nature of the universe. Is that a religious idea?"

According to the definition of religion, yes
I wasn't aware that there is only one broad definition of religion and that it includes the belief that there could be life on other planets. I think most people would disagree with a definition so broad that it classifies X-Files as church.

This is ridiculous. You are taking half of the first definition (out of 5) and claiming that THAT is the one and only definition of religion, anything that meets that partial definition is absolutely a religion, and all of the other considerations don't matter.

You are an idiot.

re·li·gion

[ri-lij-uh?n]  Show IPA
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, natureand purpose ofthe universe, especially when considered as the creation of asuperhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional andritual observances, and often containing a moral code governingthe conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generallyagreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christianreligion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs andpractices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

12/14/2012 1:46 PM
Posted by The Taint on 12/14/2012 1:40:00 PM (view original):
The atheist I work with says anyone that thinks atheism is a religion is the dumbest **** ever.
That atheist is right.
12/14/2012 1:53 PM
"If you identify as atheist, you are of that religion."

Congratulations.  You have reached a new height in stupidity with this statement.
12/14/2012 1:57 PM
The other day I was driving past city hall and could not believe my eyes. There was a HUGE atheist display on the side of the building. This is obviously government sponsored and should be removed immediately.

Look at that!!!! All that nothingness behind the trees on the right. Clearly an atheist display.
12/14/2012 2:02 PM
Somehow I feel like your bartender might not be the world's expert on religion.  Or intelligence, for that matter.
12/14/2012 2:06 PM
The copy of Secular World he pulled out of his car tells me he's probably smarter than you are on the matter.
12/14/2012 2:07 PM
He said to read the Dublin Accord.
12/14/2012 2:07 PM
He also said to go **** yourself.
12/14/2012 2:09 PM
You can't believe anything that lying heathen says.
12/14/2012 2:13 PM
What I don't get is why anyone would think he's not intelligent when they've never met him. Talk about arrogance.
12/14/2012 2:16 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/14/2012 1:47:00 PM (view original):
"I believe there is life on other planets. That is an idea about the nature of the universe. Is that a religious idea?"

According to the definition of religion, yes
I wasn't aware that there is only one broad definition of religion and that it includes the belief that there could be life on other planets. I think most people would disagree with a definition so broad that it classifies X-Files as church.

This is ridiculous. You are taking half of the first definition (out of 5) and claiming that THAT is the one and only definition of religion, anything that meets that partial definition is absolutely a religion, and all of the other considerations don't matter.

You are an idiot.

re·li·gion

[ri-lij-uh?n]  Show IPA
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, natureand purpose ofthe universe, especially when considered as the creation of asuperhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional andritual observances, and often containing a moral code governingthe conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generallyagreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christianreligion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs andpractices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

I posted this earlier.    #3 could be loosely interpreted as athiests.

They believe, as a group, that there is no higher power.   Just because they don't build a meeting place and gather to read from the Book of Heathens doesn't mean they're not a "religion" of sorts.   Hell, meeting and reading from a book could be a book club.

Not that I care or have really put much thought into atheism as a religion.   But I wouldn't argue with anyone if they said "My religion is atheism."   I might look at them a bit oddly but I wouldn't care how they classify themselves.  Pretty much the same with Christians, Mormons, Buddhist, whatever.   Doesn't matter to me. 
12/14/2012 2:19 PM
Set means more than one. There's really only one thing that they ALL agree on.
12/14/2012 2:23 PM
I said "loosely".

What set of beliefs do ALL Buddhists share?   Catholics?  Baptists? 
12/14/2012 2:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...37|38|39|40|41...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.