THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/28/2013 4:12:00 PM (view original):
so how exactly should the system work?

No one should be able to sue the government?

Again if the system cannot weed out a few extremeists the system needs refining.

Fact is the left always wanted to gut tradition in America, and they used the Atheists as a reason to get what they wanted.
I think the system works fairly well. Our government is secular.
3/28/2013 4:54 PM
The idea that the government must remain 100% neutral on any issue that might raise the idea of religion is a fairly recent concept. Sometime in the 60s.

So were we this close to collapse before?
3/28/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/28/2013 6:24:00 PM (view original):
The idea that the government must remain 100% neutral on any issue that might raise the idea of religion is a fairly recent concept. Sometime in the 60s.

So were we this close to collapse before?
What makes you think we are close to collapse?
3/28/2013 6:36 PM
I think the system works fairly well. Our government is secular.
I can't believe you don't want to address the previous posts I made on the last page which show how your arguments don't make logical sense - i.e. how the ten commandments are cultural and historical according to your own arguments, even though you say they are not.

Or maybe I can believe it - you'd love everyone to forget your own logic was used against you.

3/29/2013 9:09 AM
Um, you never showed how the Ten Commandments are cultural. I do find it funny that you are calling someone else out for not addressing an argument.

You can't just say "they're cultural so they're cultural."
3/29/2013 9:39 AM
You said Christmas is cultural. I pointed out the ten commandments are as cultural to some people as Christmas is to some people.

I'm not sure why it's funny for me to call you out for not addressing this argument. It's not like it was a subtle piece of a larger argument - I turned your entire argument about Christmas being cultural against you by pointing out you can say the ten commandments are cultural by using the same logic.

3/29/2013 10:33 AM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 10:34:00 AM (view original):
You said Christmas is cultural. I pointed out the ten commandments are as cultural to some people as Christmas is to some people.

I'm not sure why it's funny for me to call you out for not addressing this argument. It's not like it was a subtle piece of a larger argument - I turned your entire argument about Christmas being cultural against you by pointing out you can say the ten commandments are cultural by using the same logic.

Christmas is cultural. You can (and millions do) celebrate it without religion or god. There are many customs (the tree, lights, gifts, songs) that are completely secular. The same with easter.

I don't know how the ten commandments are comparable. They aren't a holiday, just a list of rules from the bible. You'll have to explain further. 
3/29/2013 12:08 PM
Christmas has both cultural and religious aspects; so do the ten commandments, which are of cultural and historical significance.

If you're going to say one of them is okay "because it's cultural", the same logic of "because it's cultural" applies equally to the other one.

3/29/2013 12:51 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 12:51:00 PM (view original):
Christmas has both cultural and religious aspects; so do the ten commandments, which are of cultural and historical significance.

If you're going to say one of them is okay "because it's cultural", the same logic of "because it's cultural" applies equally to the other one.

How can someone celebrate or use the ten commandments in a way that is cultural but not religious?
3/29/2013 1:06 PM
By posting them somewhere in order to recognize their cultural and historic significance.

Like all such items of cultural and historical significance, it should be placed in a location that is relevant - like, say, a courthouse.

3/29/2013 1:11 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 1:11:00 PM (view original):
By posting them somewhere in order to recognize their cultural and historic significance.

Like all such items of cultural and historical significance, it should be placed in a location that is relevant - like, say, a courthouse.

You still haven't explained the non-religious cultural significance.
3/29/2013 1:21 PM
The ten commandments played a part in the shaping of modern laws and have had an enormous impact on many cultures and governments throughout the word, including America.

If you want to know all the specifics, this thing called the internet is great for researching those kinds of things for yourself.

3/29/2013 1:23 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 1:23:00 PM (view original):
The ten commandments played a part in the shaping of modern laws and have had an enormous impact on many cultures and governments throughout the word, including America.

If you want to know all the specifics, this thing called the internet is great for researching those kinds of things for yourself.

Would you find them posted in a non-religious person's house like a christmas tree or christmas lights?
3/29/2013 1:26 PM
You might find them posted in many people's houses, perhaps for reasons not associated with religion.

Either way, whether you do or not is irrelevant to their cultural significance.
3/29/2013 1:29 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 1:29:00 PM (view original):
You might find them posted in many people's houses, perhaps for reasons not associated with religion.

Either way, whether you do or not is irrelevant to their cultural significance.
Do you really believe that a non-religious person would post the ten commandments?

Name one reason a non-religious person would do that.
3/29/2013 1:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...66|67|68|69|70...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.