THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Nope, the god part is religion and doesn't belong on a science class. It can be taught in a religious studies class.
9/27/2012 7:42 PM
If you don't believe in it, it doesn't, and never did, exist, right?

So why can't God be taught in schools?    Should be no different than reading Peter Pan, right?    Fiction, right?
9/27/2012 8:52 PM
9/28/2012 4:31 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/27/2012 8:52:00 PM (view original):

So why can't God be taught in schools?    Should be no different than reading Peter Pan, right?    Fiction, right?
You can teach religion in religious studies classes. If you want to teach the bible in literary fiction class, I have no problem with that. Intelligent design is religion, not science, so it needs to stay out of the science class.
9/28/2012 11:15 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/28/2012 11:15:00 AM (view original):

You can teach religion in religious studies classes. If you want to teach the bible in literary fiction class, I have no problem with that. Intelligent design is religion, not science, so it needs to stay out of the science class.
Unless it's true.  Then it's science.
9/28/2012 12:07 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/28/2012 12:07:00 PM (view original):

I disagree. Intelligent design could be 100% true. But we'll never know, there's no evidence, so it can't be science. It could be true that a giant alien monster birthed the world out of his anus 20 years ago and gave us all fake memories. That idea is equally scientific as intelligent design.
9/28/2012 12:36 PM

I'm not talking about the bible.  I'm talking about God. 

What, exactly, would be the damage in teaching people about God?   You can preface it however you deem fit("There is no actual proof that God exists") but what would be the harm in teaching God in general studies?
9/28/2012 12:41 PM
SHEEP KILL IN THE NAME OF GOD

9/28/2012 12:46 PM
Is killing better if not done in the name of God?
9/28/2012 12:48 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/28/2012 12:36:00 PM (view original):

I disagree. Intelligent design could be 100% true. But we'll never know, there's no evidence, so it can't be science. It could be true that a giant alien monster birthed the world out of his anus 20 years ago and gave us all fake memories. That idea is equally scientific as intelligent design.
Up until this past summer, there was no evidence that the Higgs Boson actually existed.  Should physicists have been admonished for talking about it and looking for it in the name of science?
9/28/2012 12:48 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/28/2012 12:41:00 PM (view original):

I'm not talking about the bible.  I'm talking about God. 

What, exactly, would be the damage in teaching people about God?   You can preface it however you deem fit("There is no actual proof that God exists") but what would be the harm in teaching God in general studies?
I don't know, probably no harm. Would you see a harm in schools teaching the kids about the flying spaghetti monster and his hand in creating the earth? I mean, obviously with the "there's no proof he actually exists," disclaimer.
9/28/2012 12:53 PM
If there is a legit belief, by a substantial number of people, that the flying spaghetti monster had a hand in creating the earth, no, I'd see no harm.
9/28/2012 12:59 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/28/2012 12:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/28/2012 12:36:00 PM (view original):

Up until this past summer, there was no evidence that the Higgs Boson actually existed.  Should physicists have been admonished for talking about it and looking for it in the name of science?
There are many things in science that are controversial or just a hypothesis without evidence. The difference between those and intelligent design, is that ID is predicated on a lack of evidence. We don't know how it happened so god must have done it. That's OK if you want to believe that, but if we start teaching that as valid science to the next generation of scientists, we are going to have problems. With that attitude, the Higgs Bosen would never be discovered. Why study particles in a large hadron collider? We know it's god that holds particles together, no need to look further.
9/28/2012 1:02 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/28/2012 12:59:00 PM (view original):
If there is a legit belief, by a substantial number of people, that the flying spaghetti monster had a hand in creating the earth, no, I'd see no harm.
A large number of people believing in something doesn't make it true. If you want your kids to have a religious education, there are many choices available to you. Not sure why you want everyone else's kids to be indoctrinated.
9/28/2012 1:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.