Let's face it... Topic

And it doesnt change that I make more than President Washington did.

It just isnt really true.
10/24/2012 7:42 PM
That's why we use employment rates and not raw employment numbers. To account for overall population changes.

The unemployment rate is down.

10/24/2012 7:46 PM
I'm not really big on Romney.  Given a preference, I'd rather have somebody other than him on the ballot this season.  Not Bachman, not Cain, not Perry, none of the other Republican's who battled it out in the primaries.  None of them really impressed me.

But Romney will get my vote for one main reason . . . Obama's gotta go.

I was in a similar position in 2004.  I voted for Bush in 2000 because I thought he was the right guy for the job.  By 2004, I was a bit ambivalent about Bush.  Iraq was probably a big part of that.  To be honest, I forget my other reservations about a second Bush term.  I had an open mind about Kerry, I was looking for him to give me a reason why he would be better for the job than Bush,  I never got one.  His whole campaign was centered around "I'm not Bush".  I voted for Bush again.

Some might argue that that's exactly what Romney is doing this year.  And maybe that's true.  But because my dissatisfaction with Obama is so much stronger than was my ambivalence about Bush eight years ago, "I'm not Obama" is a good enough reason for me to give Romney my vote.

If he can dismantle Obamacare, that would be fantastic.  Obamacare, while it does a lot of good things, is an overall horrible program because of how it does what it does, and also for what it doesn't do.

10/24/2012 7:48 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/24/2012 7:38:00 PM (view original):
Unemployment is down from something like 10% in 2009.
Just yesterday I saw a laid off attorney applying for a bank teller job. That person getting hired would certainly improve the unemployment # you like to throw around but are they really better off now than 4 years ago?
10/24/2012 7:59 PM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 10/24/2012 7:46:00 PM (view original):
That's why we use employment rates and not raw employment numbers. To account for overall population changes.

The unemployment rate is down.

But the average unemployment rate for Obama's presidency is scandalous.

That is why they stopped talking about it. They were above 8% for so long it was an embarresment.

They started using the raw "Jobs created" stat to cover their failures.

And when it went below 8, they suddenly threw a party.

I guess a lot of college kids dont remember the Bush administrations unemployment rates so they think anything below 8 is great.
10/24/2012 8:05 PM
Posted by moy23 on 10/24/2012 7:59:00 PM (view original):
Just yesterday I saw a laid off attorney applying for a bank teller job. That person getting hired would certainly improve the unemployment # you like to throw around but are they really better off now than 4 years ago?
Anecdotal evidence aside.....4 years ago he wasn't working, today he is.  You don't think that's better?
10/24/2012 8:06 PM
Posted by jvford on 10/24/2012 8:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 10/24/2012 7:59:00 PM (view original):
Anecdotal evidence aside.....4 years ago he wasn't working, today he is.  You don't think that's better?
Anecdotal evidence aside... that person that wasn't working 4 years ago has given up looking cor work which also helps the unemployment # ....since very few firms are hiring people that haven't worked in over 6 months.
10/24/2012 8:13 PM
So what's your point?  Other than you know an attorney who's going to be handling people's deposits.
10/24/2012 8:18 PM
Posted by jvford on 10/24/2012 8:18:00 PM (view original):
So what's your point?  Other than you know an attorney who's going to be handling people's deposits.
4 years ago that attorney probably made 6 figures now $11 hour.

4 years ago 1/3 of homeowners weren't upside down on their mortgage.

My point is there are a lot of people that are not better off than 4 years ago despite unemployment #s ticking up slightly.

What's your point?
10/24/2012 8:45 PM (edited)
4 years ago he was out of work or about to be out of work....now he's working.
10/24/2012 9:25 PM
Maybe he was a bad attorney.
10/24/2012 10:04 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by jvford on 10/24/2012 9:25:00 PM (view original):
4 years ago he was out of work or about to be out of work....now he's working.
You make a strong argument that someone accustomed to making a lot of money and is now making $11 an hour will vote 'yes' I'm better off today than 4 years ago. Obama should win in a landslide since Romney is campaigning on that exact question.
10/25/2012 7:45 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/24/2012 7:50:00 PM (view original):
I'm not really big on Romney.  Given a preference, I'd rather have somebody other than him on the ballot this season.  Not Bachman, not Cain, not Perry, none of the other Republican's who battled it out in the primaries.  None of them really impressed me.

But Romney will get my vote for one main reason . . . Obama's gotta go.

I was in a similar position in 2004.  I voted for Bush in 2000 because I thought he was the right guy for the job.  By 2004, I was a bit ambivalent about Bush.  Iraq was probably a big part of that.  To be honest, I forget my other reservations about a second Bush term.  I had an open mind about Kerry, I was looking for him to give me a reason why he would be better for the job than Bush,  I never got one.  His whole campaign was centered around "I'm not Bush".  I voted for Bush again.

Some might argue that that's exactly what Romney is doing this year.  And maybe that's true.  But because my dissatisfaction with Obama is so much stronger than was my ambivalence about Bush eight years ago, "I'm not Obama" is a good enough reason for me to give Romney my vote.

If he can dismantle Obamacare, that would be fantastic.  Obamacare, while it does a lot of good things, is an overall horrible program because of how it does what it does, and also for what it doesn't do.

If someone were to dig up my posts from the Republican campaign, they'd see I feel pretty much the same way.   I voted for Clinton twice.   I'm reasonably open-minded(althought I dismissed Kerry pretty quickly).  

The problem is Obama has just not done a very good job.   You can't argue that he has.    And that makes my decision for me. 
10/25/2012 8:09 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11 Next ▸
Let's face it... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.