Incumbents Out Topic

Posted by raucous on 11/5/2012 1:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sinverguenza on 11/4/2012 9:32:00 PM (view original):
it's the long-standing institutions who need to go, like reid, boehner, and pelosi.

there are so many people in congress who have become so entrenched that they no longer have any fear of losing an election, and thus do whatever the hell they want despite whatever public opinion may be.

term limits need to be enacted. 4 terms for house, 2 for senate. if you can't get it done in 8 or 12 years, you can't get it done. unfortunately, guess who decides whether there should be term limits?

public office should be a service, not a career.
+2
11/5/2012 1:54 PM
Taint and I just agreed on something politically.  I am stunned.

11/5/2012 1:57 PM
Posted by sinverguenza on 11/4/2012 9:32:00 PM (view original):
it's the long-standing institutions who need to go, like reid, boehner, and pelosi.

there are so many people in congress who have become so entrenched that they no longer have any fear of losing an election, and thus do whatever the hell they want despite whatever public opinion may be.

term limits need to be enacted. 4 terms for house, 2 for senate. if you can't get it done in 8 or 12 years, you can't get it done. unfortunately, guess who decides whether there should be term limits?

public office should be a service, not a career.
Take away pensions for public office while you're at it...it would fit in with your last statement.
11/5/2012 6:20 PM
Posted by raucous on 11/5/2012 1:57:00 PM (view original):
Taint and I just agreed on something politically.  I am stunned.

Hah, I just agreed with something else you said in another thread!  Twice in one day....crazy times we live in indeed. 
11/5/2012 7:43 PM
Posted by bistiza on 11/5/2012 11:50:00 AM (view original):
The electoral college system will NEVER go away. It is established by the constitution, meaning a constitutional amendment is necessary to make it go away. Two thirds of states must approve any amendment. Every small state (population wise) gets at least three electoral votes, which means most of them are over represented compared to the number of people they contain. There are enough of those states who are over represented compared with a popular vote system that they will not vote to join a popular vote system and give their voters less power by comparison that the required two thirds to change the system will NEVER be achieved. So unless you can convince several states to give their voters LESS elective power than they already have, it won't happen.

There is actually a movement afoot, and quite a few states have already adopted it, that will award the electors of that state to whoever wins the popular vote nationally. It will take effect when enough states totaling 270 EV have adopted it.
11/5/2012 8:35 PM
So here is the Ugly part....

All this work and $8 billion and nothing changed in reality.

Dems have a few more seats, but no real change.

The Fiscal Cliff (heard that term about 300 times in the last 2 days) will see if anyone is willing to play nice.

The Pubs are already making compromise noises, more taxes and cuts to defense. Waiting to see what the left will give up.
11/8/2012 3:51 AM
◂ Prev 12
Incumbents Out Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.