Today's the day.... Topic

I don't understand why you would care about people being too lazy to drive to their polling place. One can't prove that the person that votes at the polling place is who they say they are either (at least in most states). So what? 
11/6/2012 12:46 PM
You have to show some sort of ID at the polling place to vote.  I showed my photo ID (driver's license) this morning.  How are absentee ballots validated with respect to the person who allegedly filled out the ballot actually did?

And why do you believe that if somebody has the means and opportunity to get to the polling place to vote in person that they shouldn't have to?  Why do you think lazy people should be catered to?
11/6/2012 12:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2012 12:21:00 PM (view original):
There are a lot of problems in the world. People voting by mail is not one of them.
Nah, when ballots show up in the mail for people who've passed away recently (because their names are still on the rolls), no opportunity for this to be a "problem in the world".

Vote by mail is one of the most idiotic concepts ever invented.  That, along with saying that needing photo ID to vote is discriminatory.
11/6/2012 1:01 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/6/2012 12:40:00 PM (view original):
I didn't say it was a problem.  I just said that it should only be used in the event of hardship or logistical impediment.  If you have the ability and means to make it to your designated voting place, then it's your civic responsibility to get there and vote in person.

Though since you mention it, how does one prove that the designated absentee voter actually filled out the ballot themselves?  Seems like it could be easily abused.

What part of that don't you understand?
Exactly right.
11/6/2012 1:03 PM
Posted by silentpadna on 11/6/2012 1:01:00 PM (view original):
There are a lot of problems in the world. People voting by mail is not one of them.
Nah, when ballots show up in the mail for people who've passed away recently (because their names are still on the rolls), no opportunity for this to be a "problem in the world".

Vote by mail is one of the most idiotic concepts ever invented.  That, along with saying that needing photo ID to vote is discriminatory.
Again, exactly right, though if an ID is needed to vote, it should be free to obtain.
11/6/2012 1:04 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/6/2012 12:59:00 PM (view original):
You have to show some sort of ID at the polling place to vote.  I showed my photo ID (driver's license) this morning.  How are absentee ballots validated with respect to the person who allegedly filled out the ballot actually did?

And why do you believe that if somebody has the means and opportunity to get to the polling place to vote in person that they shouldn't have to?  Why do you think lazy people should be catered to?
You don't have to show ID in most states.

I think we should be encouraging people to vote. If allowing absentee ballots gets a larger turnout and there aren't any big drawbacks to "catering to the lazies," then I think it's a good thing.
11/6/2012 1:12 PM
Posted by silentpadna on 11/6/2012 1:01:00 PM (view original):

Absentee voting has it's place if there's a legitimate reason.  You're in the military and posted oversees (or domestically).  You're in college in another state.  You're on the road for a business trip (or even on vacation).  You're hospitalized.  There are many, many valid reasons why one cannot make it to their designated polling place on election day.

But because it's too inconvenient for you to get to your polling place, or you can't be bothered to possibly stand in line, or you might miss an episode or two of the "Pawn Stars" marathon on the History Channel . . . none of those should be valid reasons to vote by mail.
11/6/2012 1:15 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2012 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/6/2012 12:59:00 PM (view original):

You don't have to show ID in most states.

I think we should be encouraging people to vote. If allowing absentee ballots gets a larger turnout and there aren't any big drawbacks to "catering to the lazies," then I think it's a good thing.
I disagree.

Everybody should be required to show ID to vote.  Photo ID is better than showing a copy of your telephone bill with your name and address on it.  You should be able to figure out why.

If one can't be bothered to get their fat *** out of the house once a year to vote, then voting is not very important to them.  If you want to encourage people to vote, then encourage them to go to the polls to do it.
11/6/2012 1:18 PM
Posted by The Taint on 11/6/2012 11:49:00 AM (view original):
I did all my research ahead of time. It was pretty easy to go in knowing exactly who and what I was going to be voting for. To me it's just another example of the pussification of America. We want everything to be easy.
Yep.  God forbid that voting be important enough to you to actually have to be a little "inconvenienced" to elect your leaders.
11/6/2012 1:19 PM
We don't need to means test someone's will to vote. They are taking to time to fill out the ballot within the rules. Again, who gives a ****?

ID at the polls is an entirely different topic. In California, you don't have to show anything. You walk up to the poll, tell them your name, sign on the line, and vote.
11/6/2012 1:21 PM
I'd hope the people voting take it seriously enough to not worry about standing in line to do so. 
11/6/2012 1:23 PM
I think they take it seriously enough to register, apply for an absentee ballot, and then mail it ahead of time. Seems like plenty of effort.

And again, of all the problems in the world to get worked up about, people voting by mail is not one of them.
11/6/2012 1:25 PM
I think they think going to the polling place is too much work. 
11/6/2012 1:27 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2012 1:21:00 PM (view original):
We don't need to means test someone's will to vote. They are taking to time to fill out the ballot within the rules. Again, who gives a ****?

ID at the polls is an entirely different topic. In California, you don't have to show anything. You walk up to the poll, tell them your name, sign on the line, and vote.
It doesn't bother you that somebody could show up at your polling place, say they were you without having to produce any form of ID, and vote in your place?

I know somebody who had this exact scenario happen to her a number of years ago.  She showed up to vote and was told "You already voted".
11/6/2012 1:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2012 1:27:00 PM (view original):
I think they think going to the polling place is too much work. 
I'm glad they get to vote by mail. Obama has a significant advantage in absentee ballots.
11/6/2012 1:28 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...12 Next ▸
Today's the day.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.