What really eats me up... Topic

As I've repeatedly pointed out, I'm a very moderate voter.  I voted for Romney because I hate Obamacare, but most of the rest of my ballot swung democratic.  But here's what I don't understand.  Why do young voters swing so heavily to the Democratic party every year?

Ok, so I KNOW why.  I just went to college a few years ago, and even in a conservative area of the world I was regularly bombarded with liberal rhetoric.  Young people are inundated with idealism that tells them that social issues are the important ones, and that they need to vote for Democrats in order to advance their social agendas.  But frankly, I care FAR less about most social issues than economic ones.

The current president has demonstrated an utter lack of fiscal responsibility and total disconcern for the rapidly inflating defecit.  He criticized Bush heavily for the amount of debt accumulated during his presidency, then went out and accumulated 150% as much debt in his first term alone.  The young people are the ones who are going to wind up paying for it.  Eventually if we don't demonstrate much more fiscal responsibility as a nation the sh!t will hit the fan on this, and while the retired crowd likely doesn't have to worry about it, but the under-30 crowd who vote more than 70% Democratic are going to wind up paying for it.

Doesn't seem right.
11/7/2012 1:03 AM
I've always heard: If you are under 30 and don't vote Democrat, you don't have a heart. If you are over 30 and don't vote GOP, you don't have a brain.
11/7/2012 1:05 AM
I don't understand why young people are expected to be impractical and ignore their long-term interests.  That's not saying they should always vote one way or the other.  But it was one of his late push issues that under Bush the Republicans had been indefensibly fiscally irresponsible and that this was placing an unfair burden on our young people.  Now, 4 years later, he has been FAR more fiscally irresponsible than Bush ever was, and those young people that he himself explicitly told were being unfairly burdened by such policies still went out and voted for him overwhelmingly.  Not as overwhelmingly as 4 years ago, but overwhelmingly nonetheless.  The reasons not to had been explicitly laid out by Obama himself.  I think the Romney campaign did itself a major disservice by not playing Obama sound bites about the Bush fiscal policy throughout the campaign, but those of us without selective memories can remember it anyway...
11/7/2012 1:26 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Young people are always easily swayed because they have little personal life experience with which to provide a framework of perspective.  Because of this, few are able to critically evaluate the belief system handed down to them by those who provide first influence.  A little dose of crushing tax burden, garnished with the realization that the concept of responsible saving has been stripped of any value by the artificial suppression of interest rates (so we can kid ourselves that we can service the national debt) by adding even more debt (purchasing mortgage securities to the tune of 30 bill a month) will probably put this current bunch of idealistic idiots into a financial coma.
11/7/2012 3:01 AM
Most of these young people don't yet have full-time jobs where they're paying taxes and have to think about health benefits.  They think they're ENTITLED to all of this stuff, regardless of whether or not they actually work or earn a living.

We'll see how all you short-sighted idiots feel when your company decides "**** this" and leaves the country, or if they decide to stay, cuts your benefits to the bone and requires double your contribution to pay for half the coverage. 
11/7/2012 3:15 AM
Which is exactly why many of them fall in love with Ayn Rand and her nonsense.
11/7/2012 3:47 AM
I saw on either CBS or CNN last night (I forget which, I was switching back and forth between the two last night) the results of an exit poll taken yesterday in which voters under 25 overwhelmingly held Bush responsible for the economic crash,  Which just shows how uneducated and naive young people are when it comes to understanding such things.
11/7/2012 5:57 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/7/2012 5:59:00 AM (view original):
I saw on either CBS or CNN last night (I forget which, I was switching back and forth between the two last night) the results of an exit poll taken yesterday in which voters under 25 overwhelmingly held Bush responsible for the economic crash,  Which just shows how uneducated and naive young people are when it comes to understanding such things.
CNN

They bought the message.   Quite honestly, and I've said this several times, Obama is a fantastic speaker.   If he's saying it, it sounds believable and right. 
11/7/2012 8:18 AM
Posted by jvford on 11/7/2012 7:51:00 AM (view original):
I saw that Romney performed better demographic to demographic than Bush did in 2004 with the results being vastly different.  The country has changed, no republican has gotten 300 electoral votes since 1988, and the call for a smaller government will continue to fall on deaf ears until republicans can separate themselves from the extreme right.

agreed-some pundits I saw said that the Repulican Party is going to have to figure out if it wants to be more economically conservative-socially moderate, or more Tea Party-John Bircher......it can't be both and succeed
11/7/2012 8:22 AM
"everyone who isn't wealthy like him is scum in his mind"

Do you seriously believe this?
11/7/2012 8:37 AM
From the comments he made, yes, absolutely I believe it.

The 47 percent comment was very revealing, and that's him speaking his mind when he didn't think it would get out to anyone but those present at the meeting. That's what he's willing to say to those people. I'm sure what he really thinks in his mind is much worse than he ever said.
11/7/2012 8:44 AM
You're delusional.
11/7/2012 8:46 AM
1|2|3...34 Next ▸
What really eats me up... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.