What really eats me up... Topic

Do you "think" that's a "fair" question?
11/15/2012 3:43 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 11/15/2012 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Y'know, I TRIED to give biz and badluck a graceful way out by explaining the THINKING vs. FEELING paradigms and the divergent concept of "fair"...

But they don't seem to get it.

Are they deliberately being obtuse?

I'm not arguing for fairness.

The government has X amount of dollars it needs to collect to do the things we ask it to do. It can't simultaneously keep tax rates for the poor at a percentage low enough for them to survive and tax all income levels the same percentage and pay for everything.

So we have a progressive income tax system. It has nothing to do with feelings or fairness. I think you'll have a hard time changing anyone's mind by arguing that the well off are being treated unfairly because the tax rate on the dollars they earn over $250,000 might go up by less than four percent.
11/15/2012 3:48 PM
It bears mentioning, and I don't think it has been unless one of the blocked dumbasses did so, that "well off" or "rich" varies greatly throughout the US.  250k is a lot of money in Selma, AL and Bismark, SD.   Not so much in NY or LA.   Are they treated differently in tax law?  No.  Is that "fair"?
11/15/2012 3:56 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/15/2012 3:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 11/15/2012 3:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/15/2012 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Tax brackets are not discrimination.
I think discriminating people based on wealth is just as bad as discriminating based on age, sex, or race. taxing people more based on their wealth is discrimination.... it's just legal discrimination.
But it's not discrimination. Everyone is subject to the same laws. Assuming the same deductions, etc., me and Alex Rodriguez pay the same federal income tax on the first $100,000 that we make. I'm not wealthy. He is. 
precisely.... legalized discrimination.
11/15/2012 4:56 PM
What? Who is being discriminated against?
11/15/2012 4:59 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/15/2012 3:56:00 PM (view original):
It bears mentioning, and I don't think it has been unless one of the blocked dumbasses did so, that "well off" or "rich" varies greatly throughout the US.  250k is a lot of money in Selma, AL and Bismark, SD.   Not so much in NY or LA.   Are they treated differently in tax law?  No.  Is that "fair"?
I wish the government would define wealthy as $50000 in hh income so that these guys would grasp the concept that 'it's only 3.6 percent so who cares, you're well off' when it pertains to them.... I guarantee you every one of them would throw a fit.
11/15/2012 5:02 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/15/2012 4:59:00 PM (view original):
What? Who is being discriminated against?
I can't make it any clearer.... sorry man. Currently the wealthy simply have to pay more for the SAME EXACT American Citizenship than someone who has less $.
11/15/2012 5:14 PM
But Arod and me are paying the exact same rate for my entire salary.
11/15/2012 5:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/15/2012 5:23:00 PM (view original):
But Arod and me are paying the exact same rate for my entire salary.
A-Rod doesn't care about your salary.... A-Rod cares he has to pay a bigger percentage of his than you do for the same exact citizenship. how would you feel about paying more for a ticket to the Yanks game than the guy next to you for the exact same seat simply because you can afford it? that's discrimination. if you were paying more for a better seat.... now that's different.
11/15/2012 6:42 PM
Arod makes $25 million a year. You don't think his seat is better than mine?
11/15/2012 6:51 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/15/2012 6:51:00 PM (view original):
Arod makes $25 million a year. You don't think his seat is better than mine?

what additional freedoms or rights as a citizen does he get from uncle Sam that you aren't getting?
11/15/2012 7:11 PM (edited)
None. Just like I don't get any additional rights or freedoms over an unemployed person that pays zero income tax. That doesn't mean that I'm being discriminated against.
11/15/2012 7:15 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/15/2012 7:15:00 PM (view original):
None. Just like I don't get any additional rights or freedoms over an unemployed person that pays zero income tax. That doesn't mean that I'm being discriminated against.
legally no. technically yes. paying more than someone else for the same goods or services because of your financial well-being is class discrimination. it's certainly not equality, is it?
11/15/2012 7:39 PM
Are you insane? I'm not paying for goods or services. I'm being taxed. And no, it's not discrimination if I pay a higher income tax rate than someone who makes less money than me.
11/15/2012 7:44 PM (edited)
You don't think the government is more sensitive to the needs and wants of people who make over $250K than those who make less?  I mean, not even on a per capita level, but TOTAL.  And then when you make it per capita...

Yeah, it the same basic citizenship, and the same rights, but absolutely the government pays more attention to what the wealthy think and say than the poor OR the middle class.
11/15/2012 7:44 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...34 Next ▸
What really eats me up... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.