Who should give in? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Aren't you the the "immediate" guy? 

You can put things off and put things off until they never get done.   It's never too early to do the RESPONSIBLE thing.
12/10/2012 1:28 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/10/2012 1:12:00 PM (view original):
OK. But why do we need to do those things now? Why do we need to immediately start paying down the debt? Will that somehow improve the economy?
There is a point where we cannot get back. It isnt really close, but it does exist.

Why shouldnt we do things now? Isnt a time when people are afraid of the economy dropping a good time to show that the government is serious about its fiscal house?

We need to get out of the hole, and we need to start now.
12/10/2012 1:56 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/10/2012 1:56:00 PM (view original):
OK. But why do we need to do those things now? Why do we need to immediately start paying down the debt? Will that somehow improve the economy?
There is a point where we cannot get back. It isnt really close, but it does exist.

Why shouldnt we do things now? Isnt a time when people are afraid of the economy dropping a good time to show that the government is serious about its fiscal house?

But shouldn't we wait for the economy to recover all the way before we start doing things that might drag it down again?
12/10/2012 2:11 PM
That's my point, bad luck. The economy will be destroyed if the fiscal cliff hits, so we need to avoid it.
12/10/2012 3:39 PM
Posted by bistiza on 12/10/2012 3:39:00 PM (view original):
That's my point, bad luck. The economy will be destroyed if the fiscal cliff hits, so we need to avoid it.
The fiscal cliff is self inflicted. Congress could pass legislation eliminating the automatic sequestration and extend the tax cuts, payroll tax holiday, and unemployment.
12/10/2012 4:00 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/10/2012 4:00:00 PM (view original):
The fiscal cliff is self inflicted. Congress could pass legislation eliminating the automatic sequestration and extend the tax cuts, payroll tax holiday, and unemployment.
There is usually a scene in rom/coms where one of the people makes a grand gesture that shows the other person that they are meant for each other.

I think avoiding the fiscal cliff is the grand gesture to show all Americans and the world for that matter that our government isnt broken.

It might be more symbolic than anything, but I think confidence is important.

Obama and the House Pubs needs to get this deal cut. Obama needs to compromise as much as our side has. Then we are half there. Revenue is on the table. SS and Medicare need to be on the table. No stimulus package needs to be on the table. Realistic cuts needs to be on the table. Even Defense can be on the table.

12/10/2012 4:16 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/10/2012 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/10/2012 4:00:00 PM (view original):
There is usually a scene in rom/coms where one of the people makes a grand gesture that shows the other person that they are meant for each other.

I think avoiding the fiscal cliff is the grand gesture to show all Americans and the world for that matter that our government isnt broken.

It might be more symbolic than anything, but I think confidence is important.

Obama and the House Pubs needs to get this deal cut. Obama needs to compromise as much as our side has. Then we are half there. Revenue is on the table. SS and Medicare need to be on the table. No stimulus package needs to be on the table. Realistic cuts needs to be on the table. Even Defense can be on the table.

No, that's a bad idea. We don't need to increase revenue right now. We don't need to make cuts right now.

Let the economy finish recovering first.

Making cuts and increasing taxes will drag the economy down.
12/10/2012 4:27 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/10/2012 2:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/10/2012 1:56:00 PM (view original):

But shouldn't we wait for the economy to recover all the way before we start doing things that might drag it down again?
Please define "all the way".
12/10/2012 4:53 PM
5.5 or 6% unemployment? I'm sure you'd agree that the economy isn't in great shape right now, even if we aren't officially in a recession.
12/10/2012 5:12 PM
Rhetorical questions: 

Are recessions always bad for the economy?  (I'm not talking about whether they're bad for individuals - up and down cycles can be good and bad for both - I'm talking about the economy in general).

Should the government do all it can to minimize any down cycles?  (If you were in the Soviet Union in the 20th century, you'd need to be very careful with your answer).

12/10/2012 5:53 PM
Are they rhetorical or do you want answers?
12/10/2012 5:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/10/2012 5:12:00 PM (view original):
5.5 or 6% unemployment? I'm sure you'd agree that the economy isn't in great shape right now, even if we aren't officially in a recession.
So the state of the economy is solely based on unemployment numbers?
12/10/2012 6:00 PM
Posted by silentpadna on 12/10/2012 5:53:00 PM (view original):
Rhetorical questions: 

Are recessions always bad for the economy?  (I'm not talking about whether they're bad for individuals - up and down cycles can be good and bad for both - I'm talking about the economy in general).

Should the government do all it can to minimize any down cycles?  (If you were in the Soviet Union in the 20th century, you'd need to be very careful with your answer).

Ups and downs are a natural part of any free economic system. They are neither bad or good, they just exist.

And the government always needs to do what is good for the economic health of America.

Obama and I disagree as to what that is.
12/10/2012 6:16 PM
So those weren't rhetorical questions???
12/10/2012 6:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...14 Next ▸
Who should give in? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.