High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/18/2013 8:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/17/2012 8:37:00 AM (view original):
This interests me in a personal way.   I live in a subdivision but there is a protected wetland butted up against my backyard.  Lots of wildlife back there.   Seems that wild boar have entered the mix.   For those who are unfamiliar with them, they're nasty creatures built like a tank.  They'll run unless they feel cornered or surprised. Then they'll attack.  Can easily kill a dog.   I have three and I happen to walk them in the area behind my house twice a day.

I have some guns but I do not have a handgun that will stop a wild boar.  As I do live in a neighborhood, I can't strap a high-powered rifle to my back.  So I've been researching handguns.  Those that know don't seem to think there is a handgun powerful enough to stop a boar with a single shot.  So, in my mind, I need something powerful enough to pierce boar skin and has multiple shot capability.

I have no designs on shooting people but I've just laid out a scenario where I need a firearm capable of killing a lot of people in a short time frame.  Should this gun be banned?
I think I have read this post 10 times over the last week and laugh every single time.

Yeah, you need a friggin ak47  so you can walk your dog in a wild boar infested swamp.  
Maybe you're not familiar with wild boar.

Or, maybe, you hate dogs.

Either way, you don't live my life so I'm pretty sure you have no idea what I need.

Dumbass.
1/19/2013 8:21 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/19/2013 8:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/18/2013 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2013 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/18/2013 6:35:00 PM (view original):
No, it's not. The gun is now illegal. Keep it at your own risk.
And that's where we differ.    Don't give me a right, because no one has any rights, and then take it away. 
What?
Prohibition.   Alcohol is legal.  Alcohol is not.   The govt said "You can drink.   No, wait a minute, you cannot."

How'd that work out anyway?
Prohibition was a massive failure.

However, the repeal of prohibition came along with a whole bunch of regulations and oversight over the manufacture, sales, distribution, etc of alcohol which resulted in less availability and consumption of alcohol than there was in the pre-prohibition days.

That's what should happen here.  Ban the assault weapons that Joe Citizen doesn't need, and make ownership illegal.  Let him still have access to non-assault weapons for hunting, personal protection, etc.
1/19/2013 8:37 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/19/2013 8:21:00 AM (view original):
This interests me in a personal way.   I live in a subdivision but there is a protected wetland butted up against my backyard.  Lots of wildlife back there.   Seems that wild boar have entered the mix.   For those who are unfamiliar with them, they're nasty creatures built like a tank.  They'll run unless they feel cornered or surprised. Then they'll attack.  Can easily kill a dog.   I have three and I happen to walk them in the area behind my house twice a day.

I have some guns but I do not have a handgun that will stop a wild boar.  As I do live in a neighborhood, I can't strap a high-powered rifle to my back.  So I've been researching handguns.  Those that know don't seem to think there is a handgun powerful enough to stop a boar with a single shot.  So, in my mind, I need something powerful enough to pierce boar skin and has multiple shot capability.

I have no designs on shooting people but I've just laid out a scenario where I need a firearm capable of killing a lot of people in a short time frame.  Should this gun be banned?
I think I have read this post 10 times over the last week and laugh every single time.

Yeah, you need a friggin ak47  so you can walk your dog in a wild boar infested swamp.  

Either way, you don't live my life so I'm pretty sure you have no idea what I need.

Dumbass.
Or maybe I would choose to walk my cockapoo on the street as opposed to your "feral boar" infested swamp.

This still cracks me up.

"I need an assault weapon to walk my dogs safely".   Do you believe the drivel you post?
1/19/2013 10:57 AM
Drivel?

What if someone from the government said "you only need freedom of sppech on odd days. You dont need to complain to the Government EVERY day.
You dont need to have ALL these religions. Lets narrow down to a few good ones and everybody can pick one.

I think the government needs to show a REALLY good reason to limit a constitutional freedom.

They have not.
1/19/2013 11:31 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/19/2013 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Drivel?

What if someone from the government said "you only need freedom of sppech on odd days. You dont need to complain to the Government EVERY day.
You dont need to have ALL these religions. Lets narrow down to a few good ones and everybody can pick one.

I think the government needs to show a REALLY good reason to limit a constitutional freedom.

They have not.
Your right swamp....not enough dead body's.
1/19/2013 11:44 AM
Make a connection between the dead bodies and a gun ban.

We had the gun ban. It didnt reduce crime or reduce shootings or actually do anything.

The left is so worried about banning guns that they are willing to ignore a real problem to get rid of them.

If gun bans will not reduce crime why waste time and effort on them?

Why not try to actually prevent kids from being murdered instead of just using massacres to promote your pet projects??
1/19/2013 11:49 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/19/2013 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/19/2013 8:21:00 AM (view original):

Dumbass.
Or maybe I would choose to walk my cockapoo on the street as opposed to your "feral boar" infested swamp.

This still cracks me up.

"I need an assault weapon to walk my dogs safely".   Do you believe the drivel you post?
Did you really read the post?  "As I do live in a neighborhood, I can't strap a high-powered rifle to my back.  So I've been researching handguns."

I don't care where you walk your cockapoo.   Doesn't mean everyone has to follow your path.

What part of this do you not understand?
1/19/2013 12:38 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/19/2013 8:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/19/2013 8:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/18/2013 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2013 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/18/2013 6:35:00 PM (view original):
No, it's not. The gun is now illegal. Keep it at your own risk.
And that's where we differ.    Don't give me a right, because no one has any rights, and then take it away. 
What?
Prohibition.   Alcohol is legal.  Alcohol is not.   The govt said "You can drink.   No, wait a minute, you cannot."

How'd that work out anyway?
Prohibition was a massive failure.

However, the repeal of prohibition came along with a whole bunch of regulations and oversight over the manufacture, sales, distribution, etc of alcohol which resulted in less availability and consumption of alcohol than there was in the pre-prohibition days.

That's what should happen here.  Ban the assault weapons that Joe Citizen doesn't need, and make ownership illegal.  Let him still have access to non-assault weapons for hunting, personal protection, etc.
Again, an AW ban doesn't prevent the possibility of 20 murdered 6 year olds.

What do you REALLY want to prevent?
1/19/2013 12:41 PM
Nothing can prevent it, but why not make it a bit harder?
1/19/2013 1:29 PM
Couldn't we just outlaw all firearms?   Don't you think that would also make it a bit harder?
1/19/2013 2:32 PM
1) As I've already pointed out, over 2/3 of the "massacres" over the last 30 years have been a guy using an automatic weapon.
2) No one has offered a legitimate purpose for Joe Citizen owning a HCAW.

Those two facts seem to indicate that a ban on HCAW should be a step in the right direction, and doesn't make the ridiculous leap that you just attempted.

1/19/2013 2:56 PM
Well, I assume you're intelligent enough to know where I'm going.

HCAW banned.   Next elementary school massacre is with a couple of 9mm handguns and a bag of clips. 

Wouldn't it stand to reason that 9mm handguns would be next to be outlawed?
1/19/2013 3:38 PM
I think they are addressing something about clip capacities. As when an assailant is changing clips that;s a few seconds an armed guard or police officer can gain an advantage on the guy.

I don't see the slippery slope here.

I may be naive, but I feel there is no correlation between HCAW and typical hand guns.
Handguns serve a legitimate purpose, whereas HCAW do not.

I am sure if/when legislation is passed, many on the left will try to push even harder for more gun control, figuring the ball is already rolling, but I don't think they will have much success.

I agree that some are over-reacting, or using Sandy Hook as a tool to further their agenda, or both.
But there are many others of us who are not anti-gun, but also see a need for changes in the way the system currently operates.

1/19/2013 3:47 PM
I believe the clip limit is going to be 7.    14 bullets with 2 guns.    Dead teacher, dead teacher's aide, 12 dead children before a clip change is  necessary.  Takes about 1 second to pull a trigger.   All done in less than 20 seconds. 

That is your slippery slope.   

What needs to be addressed, rather than a knee-jerk reaction of banning guns, is the security of schools.   Metal doors lock and no one can get in without approval.  Doesn't matter what kind of gun you have if you can't get in.
1/19/2013 3:55 PM
I can definitely understand your point here.

I have just always been against the general public owning HCAW.
My opinion on this issue doesn't stem from Sandy Hook nor Aurora, just a belief I've held for decades now.

You are probably 100% correct though, the people intent on "saving the children" are focusing on the wrong things, as you pointed out.

1/19/2013 4:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...37|38|39|40|41...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.