Do Brussels sprouts taste good? Topic

I thought you guys championed protecting the minority from the majority. 
3/12/2013 11:37 AM
That isnt true.

On Defense most Americans are for the Republican side. Even in the current crisis the vast majority of Americans oppose Defense cuts.

Most Americans support less government and lower taxes. The left creates ways to end run that. Department of Education allows the feds to expand their power over schools. They can tax and spend on a grand scale and not have to show any results. If this were on a state level it would never work.

Americans support the right to K&B arms. You could never get most states to ban assualt weapons. The feds can.

3/12/2013 11:45 AM
So do you suggest we expand the filibuster into the House? To protect us from the government imposing their power on us?
3/12/2013 11:48 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/12/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):
That isnt true.

On Defense most Americans are for the Republican side. Even in the current crisis the vast majority of Americans oppose Defense cuts.

Most Americans support less government and lower taxes. The left creates ways to end run that. Department of Education allows the feds to expand their power over schools. They can tax and spend on a grand scale and not have to show any results. If this were on a state level it would never work.

Americans support the right to K&B arms. You could never get most states to ban assualt weapons. The feds can.

Yet we can look at election results and see that the majority of voters support the left.
3/12/2013 11:51 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/12/2013 11:51:00 AM (view original):
That isnt true.

Yet we can look at election results and see that the majority of voters support the left.
Obama won. We can argue why but it cannot be argued with. The Senate is controlled by the Dems.

Most governors are Republican. Most state houses are Republican.

The US House is Republican, by a solid margin. And there are a large number of so called "Tea Party" members.

So how exactly can we see a left trend?

3/12/2013 12:48 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/12/2013 12:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/12/2013 11:51:00 AM (view original):
That isnt true.

Obama won. We can argue why but it cannot be argued with. The Senate is controlled by the Dems.

Most governors are Republican. Most state houses are Republican.

The US House is Republican, by a solid margin. And there are a large number of so called "Tea Party" members.

So how exactly can we see a left trend?

The house is heavily gerrymandered. Democrats actually got more votes in the house than Republicans. I think Democrats would have to lead by something like 7 percentage points to regain the house.
3/12/2013 1:03 PM
There were more votes for democrats than republicans for the house. Gerrymandering is the only reason the repubs maintain it.

More people support cutting defense rather than social programs.

Most people support new gun laws.
3/12/2013 1:10 PM
Would it be fair to say "If you remove the opinion of those in the military and/or on social programs, that more people would NOT support cutting defense than social programs"?
3/12/2013 1:45 PM
"New gun laws" is very non-specific.   I don't want people to be forced to give up their legally acquired AW but I do want them registered.    Do I support "new gun laws"?
3/12/2013 1:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/12/2013 1:45:00 PM (view original):
"New gun laws" is very non-specific.   I don't want people to be forced to give up their legally acquired AW but I do want them registered.    Do I support "new gun laws"?
Yep.
3/12/2013 1:53 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/12/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Yep.
Then it's rather pointless to say "Most people support new gun laws".

Pretty much the same as saying "Most people support laws against rape and baby killing."
3/12/2013 1:56 PM
OK. You asked a question. I answered it.
3/12/2013 2:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/8/2013 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moosep on 3/7/2013 8:42:00 PM (view original):
I think the President should of closed down all bathrooms within 5 miles of the place where the filibuster was taking place. I don't think they would be trying that crap again.
He could have and blamed it on the mean Republicans who forced the sequester cuts.
Closing the bathrooms actually would help those stalling because people would eventually head out and if there is not a quorum present then no vote can take place.

Also those of you knocking the filibuster need to watch Mr. Smith goes to Washington!

3/12/2013 2:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/12/2013 1:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/12/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Yep.
Then it's rather pointless to say "Most people support new gun laws".

Pretty much the same as saying "Most people support laws against rape and baby killing."
Do you need the definition of "new"?

And it's not the same. The NRA will primary anyone that supports any new laws, most Republicans thus crater, and nothing gets accomplished.
3/12/2013 2:26 PM
I guess one can't be subtle.

There is a difference between people demanding that Guns A-Z be removed from the hands of the public and the people who say "Yeah, we could do a little better with gun control." 

Thus claiming that most people support new gun laws is EXTREMELY misleading.
3/12/2013 2:34 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...17 Next ▸
Do Brussels sprouts taste good? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.