DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

DIRT NAP

Thanks, SCOTUS!
3/27/2013 7:50 PM
Why not just post that under your bad_luck alias?
3/27/2013 9:31 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/27/2013 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Why not just post that under your bad_luck alias?
LOL
3/27/2013 11:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I'm all for everyone having equal rights.

I just don't get some things about gays and lesbians, like the tendency to want to do everything exactly the same as their heterosexual counterparts. They want to get married just like other couples, but it extends way beyond that.

For example, why in so many homosexual couples does one of them dress and act masculine while the other dresses and acts feminine?

I ask because to me this seems like a bizzare attempt to be more like heterosexual people - if you want to be like a heterosexual, why not just be a heterosexual? Or form your own identity as a homosexual rather than trying to be like heterosexuals?

My prediction here is some ignorant person  is going to attack me for daring to ask this simple question, because I haven't dumbed it down into some politically correct BS - if that's you, please don't bother, as I'm only looking for a legitimate answer to my question.
3/28/2013 11:47 AM
Lesbians are tougher to pick out in a crowd but who couldn't be really successful in a game of "Is he gay?" if they were sitting in a bar watching people?

I don't even know what exactly it is about gay men but they have a look/way about them that stands out.

Yeah, yeah, I'm not PC.
3/28/2013 1:04 PM
Doma is different than prop 8, but they address the same issue.

Is marriage regulation a state of federal issue. Is gay marriage enough of an issue that federal relief is needed?

Should a state have the power to let its people decide how they want marriage?

3/28/2013 4:04 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/28/2013 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Doma is different than prop 8, but they address the same issue.

Is marriage regulation a state of federal issue. Is gay marriage enough of an issue that federal relief is needed?

Should a state have the power to let its people decide how they want marriage?

Regarding your third question, I would say not always. Some things aren't up for a vote, regardless of what the majority wants. Race, for example. I think the argument that gay rights fall into the same category as race is less of a slam dunk, but I would lean that way.
3/28/2013 4:52 PM
Well why are we thinking that way?

In the case of interracial marriage we were looking at clear discrimination cross the board and marriage was one part of it.

In the case of gay marriage we see a specific and isolated issue.

Are we still going to have any ties to the idea of a Republic, the concept we were founded on?
3/28/2013 6:21 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/28/2013 6:21:00 PM (view original):
Well why are we thinking that way?

In the case of interracial marriage we were looking at clear discrimination cross the board and marriage was one part of it.

In the case of gay marriage we see a specific and isolated issue.

Are we still going to have any ties to the idea of a Republic, the concept we were founded on?
I don't know what that means. There was a very specific race related case regarding marriage. The issue is just as specific this time around.

Part of the concept we were founded on is the 14th amendment. Whether that applies in this situation is up to the courts, but you aren't really arguing that equal protection isn't a part of the republic we were founded on, are you?
3/28/2013 6:36 PM
I have no problem with giving equal rights with respect to taxes, benefits, etc. to same sex couples.

I do have a problem with calling it marriage.  Thousands of years of human culture and tradition have universally defined marriage as between men and women.  I'm not sure why that NEEDS to change now because of a vocal minority and "political correctness".
3/28/2013 9:28 PM
No doubt DOMA will be canned.

The interesting one is Prop 8. I heard an interesting argument that Roberts might vote to overturn it, on the basis that he could be on the court 30+ more years and won't want to reverse himself down the road.
3/29/2013 8:10 AM
1|2|3...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.