DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Should a state have the power to let its people decide how they want marriage?
I've always felt the government should stay out of people's relationships altogether.

When you go out on a date, the government doesn't sanction it. If you begin a mutually exclusive relationship with someone, the government doesn't step it to certify you are boyfriend and girlfriend or whatever. Even when you get engaged, the government doesn't put its stamp of approval on it.

But suddenly if you want to get married, you have to get permission from the government, obtain their license, and make it official under their umbrella.

This makes no sense whatsoever.
I do have a problem with calling it marriage.  Thousands of years of human culture and tradition have universally defined marriage as between men and women.  I'm not sure why that NEEDS to change now because of a vocal minority and "political correctness".
I agree - why does it have to be called marriage? Why can't it have it's own name?

For that matter, as I asked before, why are homosexual couples always striving to be exactly like heterosexual couples? If that's what they wanted, they could have just been straight.

3/29/2013 9:14 AM
Could they have just been straight? I wasn't aware of people choosing to be gay.
3/29/2013 9:36 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Ugh.  They could choose not to participate in gay activity.    Monks, or somebody, chooses not to participate in sexual activity at all.   Except for the occassional choir boy fondling. 

Anyway, IMO, the whole male/female thing was "designed" for reproduction.   The further the species.   Gay couples can't do that.

Personally, I don't care if they get "married".  Whatever floats their boat.   But let's not pretend a gay couple is the "same".   They aren't.   They cannot reproduce and, back in the Dark Ages, that's why people were married.  Otherwise, they were just fornicating.
3/29/2013 10:29 AM
I guess I'll ask - Why do heterosexuals care if homosexuals want to be married?

3/29/2013 10:37 AM
Could they have just been straight? I wasn't aware of people choosing to be gay.

Wait - how are you in this topic if you aren't even aware gay people exist? That makes no sense.

Obviously people choose who they become romantically involved with and/or who they participate in sexual activities with.

For example, I am a man who is married to a woman and I only participate in romantic and sexual activities with that woman. I have never had a romantic or sexual encounter of any kind with another man. By definition, that makes me straight.

However, if I were to choose to go out and have a romantic and/or sexual encounter with a man, I would then become bisexual. If I also choose to stop having romantic and/or sexual encounters with women, I would become homosexual.

I can't believe you don't understand this simple concept.

Or do you fall into the camp of insisting people aren't responsible for their own choices and have no say in the matter whatsoever? Because I don't buy that BS. Using the same logic you could also argue those who have unprotected sex with hundreds of people and end up with diseases and other problems aren't also responsible for those choices because of the same reasons you insist people don't choose the gender of their romantic or sexual partners.
3/29/2013 10:42 AM
LOL at antoncresten.

Technically, most of the gay people could pass a fertility test. That doesnt' mean they could make a child TOGETHER, however.

3/29/2013 10:44 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/29/2013 10:37:00 AM (view original):

It's a religious thing.  I'm obviously not religious.   But a lot of people don't want people ******* farm animals either.   They have no issue killing and eating said animal.   Also a religious thing. 
3/29/2013 11:09 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/29/2013 10:37:00 AM (view original):

It offends me because we are being forced to change the definition of marriage from something that it has always been since the dawn of human history, culture and tradition (one man and one woman) to something "new" just to placate a special interest group, all in the name of "political correctness".

As I said earlier, I'm all in favor of equal rights for same-sex couples with regard to taxes, benefits, etc.  Just don't call it marriage.  That's a bastardization of tradition and the institution.
3/29/2013 11:11 AM
Hmmmm...my last post makes me think a little.

If you're born gay, why can't you be born to prefer pre-teens?   Farm animals?    Oak trees?

Pretty sure you can't marry any of those.
3/29/2013 11:15 AM
Last time I checked, pre-teens, farm animals and oak trees can't join consensual relationships with adults.  

Tec, why does it bother you if the definition of something changes over time?  
3/29/2013 11:26 AM
It's a religious thing.  I'm obviously not religious.   But a lot of people don't want people ******* farm animals either.   They have no issue killing and eating said animal.   Also a religious thing.

For me it has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with logic. You can't expect to have the same result from different circumstances, i.e. being gay is fundamentally different from being straight (obviously), so you shouldn't expect everything to be the exactly the same for both gay and straight people or couples. To the extent there are differences in the anatomy of men and women, there should be expected differences in relationships as a result.

There is also no reason for homosexuals to necessarily do the same exact things as heterosexuals, including marriage. A civil union (or other title) with the same rights is effectively the same. This push for the same exact title and designation doesn't make logical sense given the difference circumstances.
3/29/2013 11:28 AM
I'll ask again.  If gay couples want to get married, why do you care so much?
3/29/2013 11:29 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.