DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 1:49:00 PM (view original):
I do find it funny that, when I abide by your rules "doesn't affect you" and "doesn't infringe upon anyone else's rights", I'm now just a troll.

Is it because your guidelines for enacting laws are complete bullshit?
You're a troll because you ignore common sense on purpose.

Toasters can't contract. What point are you trying to make?

Oh, now we have "common sense" as a factor?   "Common sense" says marriage is a contract between one man, one woman.   It's been that way for a very long time.

As for toasters, as long as it "doesn't affect you", "makes more people happy" and "doesn't infringe upon anyone else's rights", why should you care if someone wants to marry his toaster?

4/2/2013 2:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):
I do find it funny that, when I abide by your rules "doesn't affect you" and "doesn't infringe upon anyone else's rights", I'm now just a troll.

Oh, now we have "common sense" as a factor?   "Common sense" says marriage is a contract between one man, one woman.   It's been that way for a very long time.

As for toasters, as long as it "doesn't affect you", "makes more people happy" and "doesn't infringe upon anyone else's rights", why should you care if someone wants to marry his toaster?

You can't marry a toaster because toasters aren't people. They are objects. They can't sign a marriage license. They can't say vows. They can't be held legally responsible for anything.

This is the common sense you are ignoring on purpose.
4/2/2013 2:09 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):

You can't marry a toaster because toasters aren't people. They are objects. They can't sign a marriage license. They can't say vows. They can't be held legally responsible for anything.

This is the common sense you are ignoring on purpose.
Do you care if it becomes legal to marry a toaster?
4/2/2013 2:11 PM
Nope, but it can't because toasters can't contract.
4/2/2013 2:17 PM
Laws can be changed.  Based on your "doesn't affect you", "makes more people happy" and "doesn't infringe upon anyone else's rights" guidelines, I expect you to be an active lobbyist for toaster marriage.
4/2/2013 2:20 PM
Looks like bad_luck is just narrowly defining marriage to fit his personal agenda.  Everybody else be damned.
4/2/2013 2:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Laws can be changed.  Based on your "doesn't affect you", "makes more people happy" and "doesn't infringe upon anyone else's rights" guidelines, I expect you to be an active lobbyist for toaster marriage.
Changing the capacity requirements for contracts would be a big deal, much, much bigger than allowing more people to marry. Especially since gay marriages are already happening in several states.

I guess we already know the effect gay marriage has on everyone else: nothing.
4/2/2013 2:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Changing the capacity requirements for contracts would be a big deal, much, much bigger than allowing more people to marry. Especially since gay marriages are already happening in several states.

Do you think a rash of toaster marriages would have an effect on anyone else?
4/2/2013 2:25 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 2:25:00 PM (view original):

It would be a pretty awesome tax loophole.

4/2/2013 2:26 PM

I'm sure that all people with deeply held religious beliefs against same-sex marriage will be relieved to hear that, according to you, their beliefs are to be totally disregarded.
4/2/2013 2:27 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/2/2013 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Looks like bad_luck is just narrowly defining marriage to fit his personal agenda.  Everybody else be damned.
Well, at this point, I think he's good with one man/one man, one man/one woman and one woman/one woman.

It's not so much his "doesn't affect you", "makes more people happy" and "doesn't infringe upon anyone else's rights" guidlines as it is "gay marriage".  
4/2/2013 2:27 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 2:26:00 PM (view original):

Tax laws can be changed. 
4/2/2013 2:28 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/2/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):

I'm sure that all people with deeply held religious beliefs against same-sex marriage will be relieved to hear that, according to you, their beliefs are to be totally disregarded.

So to summarize: if you're gay, society must cater to your wants and needs.  If you're religious, well then, **** on you.

4/2/2013 2:29 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/2/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):

Their beliefs are their's alone. If they don't like gay marriage, they should avoid getting one.
4/2/2013 2:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 2:26:00 PM (view original):

Tax laws can be changed. 
If you really want to marry your toaster so bad, feel free to try to get the law changed. I really don't care either way, but I'm guessing it's a long shot based on contract law.
4/2/2013 2:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.