DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/2/2013 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Mike, I'd like to argue with you, but if you're going to disrspectful and compare gay people marrying to someone marrying a toaster, I don't see the point.
I'll debate whatever you want to debate.    BL has laid out some guidelines as to why SS marriages should be allowed.    His guidelines work with toaster marrying.

If you have better reasons, and it's hard not to, throw them out.
Why don't you throw out a reason that we shouldn't allow gay marriage?
Can I use tec's "traditional marriage" argument?

It's as good as your Big Four.
I guess you could. You probably don't want to considering how ineffective it has been in court.
4/2/2013 5:20 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:12:00 PM (view original):
I'm saying that we already allow gay parents. The question is, do we allow those gay parents to become married gay parents.

I say we should. What do you say?
Now you answer.
4/2/2013 5:21 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:20:00 PM (view original):
I'm saying that we already allow gay parents. The question is, do we allow those gay parents to become married gay parents.

I asked if they somehow became better parents if married.

Do they?
Maybe. Kids seems to do better when their parents are married.
Any chance it's because of their peers and how they treat children from "similar" households?   Or maybe it's a self-esteem issue?

Would children recognize two men as a "similar" household because they're married?  Would their children have more self-esteem because their two dads wear matching rings?

Because, quite honestly, I don't think two people in love behave differently because of a ring or document.   I definitely don't think they'd raise their children differently.
4/2/2013 5:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:23:00 PM (view original):

Do they?
Any chance it's because of their peers and how they treat children from "similar" households?   Or maybe it's a self-esteem issue?

Would children recognize two men as a "similar" household because they're married?  Would their children have more self-esteem because their two dads wear matching rings?

Because, quite honestly, I don't think two people in love behave differently because of a ring or document.   I definitely don't think they'd raise their children differently.
I'm pretty sure it's because of the stability. Not anything to do with peers.
4/2/2013 5:24 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:23:00 PM (view original):

Do they?

I'm pretty sure it's because of the stability. Not anything to do with peers.
If a couple lived together, without marriage for 50 years, would you consider their relationship stable?
4/2/2013 5:25 PM
Sure.

If that couple wants to get married, should they be able to?
4/2/2013 5:26 PM
I've already said "I don't care."

I'm just asking for a good reason to allow it.   I've mentioned lots of things that pass your Big Four that isn't allowed.  Those reasons aren't enough for me to join the "Gay Marriage" march.
4/2/2013 5:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:28:00 PM (view original):

I'm just asking for a good reason to allow it.   I've mentioned lots of things that pass your Big Four that isn't allowed.  Those reasons aren't enough for me to join the "Gay Marriage" march.
If that couple is straight but interracial should they have to come up with a good reason to be allowed to get married?
4/2/2013 5:31 PM

How about this:

Take a step back and consider this statement: "Two consenting adults love each other and want to get married." What cold-hearted person would want to prevent that?
4/2/2013 5:33 PM
Interracial relationships are accepted in today's society.    Do you disagree?
4/2/2013 5:34 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/2/2013 5:33:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

Take a step back and consider this statement: "Two consenting adults love each other and want to get married." What cold-hearted person would want to prevent that?
Why does one have to be cold-hearted?  Couldn't they be religious?  Or tradition-bound?
4/2/2013 5:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Why can't you answer the question?

The answer is, no, they don't have to come up with a good reason to be allowed to marry. The person that wants to stop them has the burden of coming up with a good reason.
4/2/2013 5:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:35:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

Why does one have to be cold-hearted?  Couldn't they be religious?  Or tradition-bound?
You be both religious and tradition-bound and hate gay marriage. But you can't tell other people how they get to live.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get gay married.
4/2/2013 5:39 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Why can't you answer the question?

The answer is, no, they don't have to come up with a good reason to be allowed to marry. The person that wants to stop them has the burden of coming up with a good reason.
Then why isn't SS marriage universally accepted?
4/2/2013 5:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:35:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

Mormons don't think it's right to drink beer or coffee. But their religious beliefs doesn't allow them to ban them from others.
4/2/2013 5:43 PM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.