DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/2/2013 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:28:00 PM (view original):
I've already said "I don't care."

I'm just asking for a good reason to allow it.   I've mentioned lots of things that pass your Big Four that isn't allowed.  Those reasons aren't enough for me to join the "Gay Marriage" march.
How about this:

Take a step back and consider this statement: "Two consenting adults love each other and want to get married." What cold-hearted person would want to prevent that?
Why does one have to be cold-hearted?  Couldn't they be religious?  Or tradition-bound?
You be both religious and tradition-bound and hate gay marriage. But you can't tell other people how they get to live.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get gay married.
Laws are all about telling other people how to live.   Do you disagree?
4/2/2013 5:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Interracial relationships are accepted in today's society.    Do you disagree?
Why can't you answer the question?

The answer is, no, they don't have to come up with a good reason to be allowed to marry. The person that wants to stop them has the burden of coming up with a good reason.
Then why isn't SS marriage universally accepted?
The same reason that interracial marriage wasn't universally accepted until 1967. Change happens slowly.
4/2/2013 5:43 PM

I'm just asking for a good reason to allow it.   I've mentioned lots of things that pass your Big Four that isn't allowed.  Those reasons aren't enough for me to join the "Gay Marriage" march.
Revenue.  Fees for the marriage licenses, increased economic activity from the uptick in weddings.  Also, civil unions aren't granted federal recognition.  Allow gay marriage and all of those couples have to pay the marriage penalty on their federal income taxes.
4/2/2013 5:45 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/2/2013 5:43:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

Take a step back and consider this statement: "Two consenting adults love each other and want to get married." What cold-hearted person would want to prevent that?
Why does one have to be cold-hearted?  Couldn't they be religious?  Or tradition-bound?
Mormons don't think it's right to drink beer or coffee. But their religious beliefs doesn't allow them to ban them from others.
OK.  Are you comparing marriage to beverage drinking?

And you're the guy who said I was being disrespectful for talking toaster marriage.
4/2/2013 5:47 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 4/2/2013 5:45:00 PM (view original):

Revenue.  Fees for the marriage licenses, increased economic activity from the uptick in weddings.  Also, civil unions aren't granted federal recognition.  Allow gay marriage and all of those couples have to pay the marriage penalty on their federal income taxes.
Nope.   Let's just tax people for being gay.   Or being straight.  Or having children.   Or being childless.  

I could go on but you get my point.    Raising revenue by allowing marriage doesn't work for me.
4/2/2013 5:48 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:47:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

Mormons don't think it's right to drink beer or coffee. But their religious beliefs doesn't allow them to ban them from others.

And you're the guy who said I was being disrespectful for talking toaster marriage.
No. I'm explaining that just because your religion believes something, doesn't mean that you have the right to force others to follow your belief.
4/2/2013 5:49 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:43:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

You be both religious and tradition-bound and hate gay marriage. But you can't tell other people how they get to live.

Yes, I do. In general*, laws are about enforcing personal and property rights. Not about telling people how to live.

*I'm sure you'll find one backwards *** law from some place like northern Florida that is completely ridiculous.

4/2/2013 5:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:43:00 PM (view original):

The answer is, no, they don't have to come up with a good reason to be allowed to marry. The person that wants to stop them has the burden of coming up with a good reason.
The same reason that interracial marriage wasn't universally accepted until 1967. Change happens slowly.
Yes it does.

Why are we a "NOW!!!  I WANT IT NOW!!!!!" nation?

SS marriage will be universally accepted.   If not today, maybe tomorrow.  I think a lot of things that we fight for would happen in due time.  If left alone, the tecs of the world will simply go "Bah.  ******* gays.   Go ahead and get married" over time.  Probably much sooner if there didn't have to be a big debate.
4/2/2013 5:52 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/2/2013 5:49:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

No. I'm explaining that just because your religion believes something, doesn't mean that you have the right to force others to follow your belief.
So you agree that some issues carry more weight than others?

Let's not be disrespectful to gay marriage by comparing it to drinking coffee.  Thanks in advance.
4/2/2013 5:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 4/2/2013 5:45:00 PM (view original):

Nope.   Let's just tax people for being gay.   Or being straight.  Or having children.   Or being childless.  

I could go on but you get my point.    Raising revenue by allowing marriage doesn't work for me.
You asked for a good reason to allow it - you didn't say it had to work for you.  Most people like money, so that would be a pretty good reason.

I know better than to follow you down the rabbit hole.  Have fun with the other guys, though.
4/2/2013 5:53 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:50:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

Yes, I do. In general*, laws are about enforcing personal and property rights. Not about telling people how to live.

*I'm sure you'll find one backwards *** law from some place like northern Florida that is completely ridiculous.

Are posted speed limits backwards *** laws?

Bar closings?

Littering?
4/2/2013 5:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:43:00 PM (view original):

Yes it does.

Why are we a "NOW!!!  I WANT IT NOW!!!!!" nation?

SS marriage will be universally accepted.   If not today, maybe tomorrow.  I think a lot of things that we fight for would happen in due time.  If left alone, the tecs of the world will simply go "Bah.  ******* gays.   Go ahead and get married" over time.  Probably much sooner if there didn't have to be a big debate.
It's been a while, long enough for the case to get to the Surpreme Court. So it looks like that time is now, just like it was when Loving got to the Supreme Court in 1967.
4/2/2013 5:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:53:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

Let's not be disrespectful to gay marriage by comparing it to drinking coffee.  Thanks in advance.
I'm missing your point.

You said that if someone wants to marry someone of the same sex, they should be able to marry a toaster.

I'm explaining that "MY RELIGION SAYS NO" isn't a good reason to keep someone from doing something.
4/2/2013 5:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 4/2/2013 5:50:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

Are posted speed limits backwards *** laws?

Bar closings?

Littering?
You don't think limiting speed is a way to protect the rights of others?

Littering is too. It's not prohibited out of some moral outrage at littering. It's prohibited because we don't want to force other people to have to look at or pick up your trash.

4/2/2013 6:00 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/2/2013 5:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2013 5:53:00 PM (view original):

How about this:

I'm missing your point.

You said that if someone wants to marry someone of the same sex, they should be able to marry a toaster.

I'm explaining that "MY RELIGION SAYS NO" isn't a good reason to keep someone from doing something.
Then I guess you don't understand religion.

If your religion says "This is an affront to my God", it's hard to say "Yeah, go ahead."

I'm not one of those people but I would like a good reason to allow something that hasn't been allowed.
4/2/2013 6:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...22|23|24|25|26...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.