DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

It was your comparison, not mine.

First, I don't think a piece of paper makes a couple more legit.   Second, I've said, time and time again, that I'd prefer to review the possible implications.  Third, it took 100 years for a black man to be able to eat at the same table as a white man. 

With this in mind, I think a gay couple can wait another day or two before getting married.    If they can't, maybe they shouldn't get married.  It would never last.
4/5/2013 9:55 AM
I'm not afraid of polygamous marriages.   I'd just like to know the effects on society before putting a rubber stamp on them.
4/5/2013 9:58 AM
Fine, don't approve polygamy since we don't know the effects on society. But we do know the effects of gay marriage, since it's already happening. The effect is nothing.
4/5/2013 10:08 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 9:55:00 AM (view original):
It was your comparison, not mine.

First, I don't think a piece of paper makes a couple more legit.   Second, I've said, time and time again, that I'd prefer to review the possible implications.  Third, it took 100 years for a black man to be able to eat at the same table as a white man. 

With this in mind, I think a gay couple can wait another day or two before getting married.    If they can't, maybe they shouldn't get married.  It would never last.
If a piece of paper doesn't make a couple more legit, why do people care if a couple actually wants the piece of paper?

Yes, you're afraid that gay marriage will lead to polygamous marriages.  Make sure you share that with people who want to get gay married.  See how that goes over.
4/5/2013 10:30 AM

Why do you care if gay couples can get that piece of paper?

I guess we have a different meaning of "afraid".    As I said, measure twice, cut once.

I don't know any gay people clamoring to get married.  In fact, I don't know any straight people clamoring to get married.  I'm almost certain every single person I know is pretty comfortable with single.

4/5/2013 10:50 AM
I know gay people who want to be married at some point in their life. 

Here, I'll reword to help you:

Yes, you think it's possible that gay marriage will lead to polygamous marriages, and that makes you uncomfortable.
4/5/2013 10:55 AM

Here, I'll repeat what I've said dozens of times, badluckjr.

If the reason to allow gay marriage is to promote equality and provide happiness to more people, I don't see how, based on those guidelines, we can disallow polygamy to the bisexual community.  And, if polygamy is allowed in the bisexual community, I don't think we can disallow it to the straight community.   We, as a nation, have refused to accept polygamy since the beginning of our formation as a country.   That refusal was based on the one man/one woman definition of marriage.   We are changing that definition when same sex marriages are allowed.

4/5/2013 11:01 AM
So allow it then.

OR, understand that one doesn't lead to the other.  "Marry any person you want" doesn't need to lead to "Marry as many people as you want."  I personally don't think it leads there.  I understand your argument, I just don't think it ends up there, and we'll have to disagree on that.

I'm also confident that the vast majority of people who are equally attracted to men and women don't want to marry multiple people. 
4/5/2013 11:07 AM
I don't see how it can't be allowed.   So I'd like to know the effects on society before slapping the rubber stamp on it. 

Here's where we differ:   I'm looking at the big picture.   You're looking at a small percentage of society and saying "Let's make them happy."   I don't think society should work like that.   I think this nation is lesser now because we're so concerned with making everyone happy.   Sometimes you just don't get what you want.   Most of us learned this simple lesson as a child but we have a group of adults who don't understand it.

I'm quite confident that you don't know what's in the mind or heart of anyone but yourself. 

4/5/2013 11:14 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 11:14:00 AM (view original):
I don't see how it can't be allowed.   So I'd like to know the effects on society before slapping the rubber stamp on it. 

Here's where we differ:   I'm looking at the big picture.   You're looking at a small percentage of society and saying "Let's make them happy."   I don't think society should work like that.   I think this nation is lesser now because we're so concerned with making everyone happy.   Sometimes you just don't get what you want.   Most of us learned this simple lesson as a child but we have a group of adults who don't understand it.

I'm quite confident that you don't know what's in the mind or heart of anyone but yourself. 

How exactly will we ever know the effects of polygamy on society? What is there to measure?

On the other hand, we know the effects of allowing gay marriage because it is already happening. The effect is nothing.

So, either polygamy is different from gay marriage in that there are other considerations and possible effects, in which case we can separate it from gay marriage, or it is the same as gay marriage in that there is no downside to allowing it.

You decide.
4/5/2013 11:25 AM

"So I'd like to know the effects on society before slapping the rubber stamp on it."

You also do this with polygamous marriage.  We're differing in how we deal with potential issues.  I'm looking at it as "Deal with this issue by making this right (assuming you think, in a vacuum, it's right), and then deal with the next issue the same way we dealt with this one, if that issue even arises."  You're looking at this as "We can't do this because there will be other issues."  I'd rather deal with the future potential issues to make this issue right.  We're going to differ there, I understand that.  

If the repercussions of doing this were incredibly chaotic, I would understand.  But it looks like nothing changes in a major way.

I'm quite confident that being attracted to both sexes doesn't mean they want to marry multiple people.  I don't understand the connection there.  I'm attracted to more people than the one I'm with currently, it doesn't mean I want to marry more than one person.
4/5/2013 11:31 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/5/2013 11:31:00 AM (view original):

"So I'd like to know the effects on society before slapping the rubber stamp on it."

You also do this with polygamous marriage.  We're differing in how we deal with potential issues.  I'm looking at it as "Deal with this issue by making this right (assuming you think, in a vacuum, it's right), and then deal with the next issue the same way we dealt with this one, if that issue even arises."  You're looking at this as "We can't do this because there will be other issues."  I'd rather deal with the future potential issues to make this issue right.  We're going to differ there, I understand that.  

If the repercussions of doing this were incredibly chaotic, I would understand.  But it looks like nothing changes in a major way.

I'm quite confident that being attracted to both sexes doesn't mean they want to marry multiple people.  I don't understand the connection there.  I'm attracted to more people than the one I'm with currently, it doesn't mean I want to marry more than one person.
I'm not say we "can't".   I'm saying "figure out the ramifications before charging forward". 

Being married to more than one person has never been an option for you.   Did you date other people before you got married?  Did you date more than one person at a time?  Do you think the way you went about dating might have been different if the "endgame" could have been different?   Seriously, I assume you are not gay or bisexual.   Don't try to get into that mindset.    I assume, if a man wants to marry a woman, that the same man, given the option, would be comfortable marrying two women if that was his thing.  Maybe I'm wrong but it's logical, IMO.
4/5/2013 11:49 AM
Another way of looking at this:

WHO ARE ALLOWED TO BE MARRIED?

Any 2 virgins of opposite sex of same race, children-bearing age over 18
Any 2 people of opposite sex of same race, children-bearing age over 18
Any 2 people of opposite sex of either race, children-bearing age over 18
Any 2 people of opposite sex of either race, any age over 18

"THE LINE"

Any 2 people of either race, any age over 18
Any amount of people of any race, any age over 18
1 or more people and any person or object(s) or any age

We've moved "THE LINE" before.  I think we can again without major repercussions.

4/5/2013 11:59 AM
Here's where the failure to communicate is happening:

I'm not say "no".   I'm saying "Can we consider the repercussions for a minute?"

You're saying "NOW!!!  WE GOTTA DO IT NOW BEFORE ALL THESE GAY PEOPLE REVOLT!!!!   IT MUST HAPPEN BEFORE 1 PM TODAY!!!!!  OMG!!!!  I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN IF IT DOESN'T BUT I BET IT WILL BE HORRIBLE!!!!!!  POSSIBLY WORLD-ENDING!!!!  OMFG!!!!!!!"
4/5/2013 12:02 PM
"Being married to more than one person has never been an option for you."

Yes, but having a serious relationship with multiple people has been.  I don't think marriage is the reason I choose not to. I don't want that for obvious reasons, like jealously and a commitment to 1 person and all that nonsense.

Yes, if it's an option for people to marry multiple people, maybe people would.  But my point is bisexuals aren't more likely to do that.
4/5/2013 12:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...41|42|43|44|45...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.