DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Well, merriam-webster says its "a male partner in a marriage." So...
4/9/2013 11:46 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/9/2013 10:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 9:06:00 PM (view original):
Read the Elton John link I posted earlier. He wants to call his partner his "husband." Its important to him.
husband ['h?zb?nd]
n
1. a woman's partner in marriage

Sorry, Elton.  That just not going to work for you.

Funny thing about definitions, they're easy to change.
4/10/2013 12:12 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Well, on that note, my first marriage was family and friends brought together and proclaiming to them that I and another person have decided to be with each other forever.   Two good years, two bad years and a divorce.

My second marriage was in Vegas.   At The Little Chapel by the Courthouse.   I think the receptionist was our witness.   It hasn't been all ice cream and candy but we passed our 12th year 4 months ago.

So much for the importance of declaring committment in front of family and friends.
Ok, so the rule according to Mike T.
When I'm having my 24th anniversary dinner with my wife next week, I'll pass on your best to her.
4/10/2013 7:55 AM
Posted by deathinahole on 4/10/2013 7:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Well, on that note, my first marriage was family and friends brought together and proclaiming to them that I and another person have decided to be with each other forever.   Two good years, two bad years and a divorce.

My second marriage was in Vegas.   At The Little Chapel by the Courthouse.   I think the receptionist was our witness.   It hasn't been all ice cream and candy but we passed our 12th year 4 months ago.

So much for the importance of declaring committment in front of family and friends.
Ok, so the rule according to Mike T.
When I'm having my 24th anniversary dinner with my wife next week, I'll pass on your best to her.
Just saying standing in front of family, friends and God(if that's your thing) while proclaiming your committment to another person doesn't amount to a hill of beans of the relationship itself isn't meant to be.
4/10/2013 8:36 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 9:04:00 PM (view original):
I am sure that they want equal benefits, too. Don't get me wrong.

But, YES.
Since I don't give a damn about being PC, a man stating that "I just married my husband" is very important to him might be the gayest thing I can think of.

It's a couple of words.  "We've been together for 15 years" is far more impressive than a 45 minute ceremony.  Goddam.
4/10/2013 8:39 AM
biz, regardless of whether or not you share the reason of what makes you an ***, or a racist, or a sexist, or a homophobe, it doesn't mean you aren't one of those things. 

Except I'm not any of those things in the first place.

I think you (and probably some others too) assume way too much about me, and then you base other assumptions on THOSE assumptions you already made until finally you THINK you know so much about me and you're wrong about nearly all of it.

If you want to have a decent discussion rather than having me correct all the things you get wrong all the time, you might want to try taking what I say for its face value rather than assuming it means something else. You might also consider that each thing I say is within its own context and is not related to anything else I say or my other opinions on other topics, because unlike some people, I decide my opinion on each subject independent of my other viewpoints.
4/10/2013 8:53 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/10/2013 8:53:00 AM (view original):
biz, regardless of whether or not you share the reason of what makes you an ***, or a racist, or a sexist, or a homophobe, it doesn't mean you aren't one of those things. 

Except I'm not any of those things in the first place.

I think you (and probably some others too) assume way too much about me, and then you base other assumptions on THOSE assumptions you already made until finally you THINK you know so much about me and you're wrong about nearly all of it.

If you want to have a decent discussion rather than having me correct all the things you get wrong all the time, you might want to try taking what I say for its face value rather than assuming it means something else. You might also consider that each thing I say is within its own context and is not related to anything else I say or my other opinions on other topics, because unlike some people, I decide my opinion on each subject independent of my other viewpoints.
I'll say this one more time. 

IF you deny someone of your business because of a persons race, sex, or sexual orientation, THEN you'd be one of those things.  

IF you're ok with someone doing that, it makes you an ***.

I'm done with this portion of the conversation.
4/10/2013 9:03 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/10/2013 8:39:00 AM (view original):

But, YES.
Since I don't give a damn about being PC, a man stating that "I just married my husband" is very important to him might be the gayest thing I can think of.

It's a couple of words.  "We've been together for 15 years" is far more impressive than a 45 minute ceremony.  Goddam.
You've made it clear several times that specifically being "married" isn't important to you.  
4/10/2013 9:07 AM
If marriage doesn't mean anything and the benefits are the same as a civil union, why not just allow gays to marry.
4/10/2013 9:40 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/10/2013 9:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/10/2013 8:39:00 AM (view original):

But, YES.

You've made it clear several times that specifically being "married" isn't important to you.  
Yes.  Perhaps that's the impasse here.   It seems so "womanly" for it to matter all that much to one.    I honestly have no idea if I told my family/friends that we were going to get married while vacationing in Vegas.    I know, for my first wedding, that I sent my invitations out about 10-12 days before the wedding. 

I guess I look at it as a status on a tax return.     Still seems very "gay" to prance around saying "I JUST GOT MARRIED!!  WEEEEEE!!!!"
4/10/2013 9:46 AM
Well...they are gay.

Are you arguing now that we not allow things because the reasoning is "gay?"
4/10/2013 9:57 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/10/2013 9:40:00 AM (view original):
If marriage doesn't mean anything and the benefits are the same as a civil union, why not just allow gays to marry.
"Marriage doesn't mean anything!"
"OK. So can I get married?"
"No. Too much meaning in the history and tradition of marriage."
"Huh?"
4/10/2013 9:58 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/10/2013 9:57:00 AM (view original):
Well...they are gay.

Are you arguing now that we not allow things because the reasoning is "gay?"
"gay" is a way of saying "strange, odd".

I was making a play on a commercial.    "That's so gay".
4/10/2013 10:01 AM
OK. AGAIN, I know that "being married" isn't important to YOU.  It's important to many people, and you find that strange.  Or "gay."
4/10/2013 10:09 AM
I find it "gay" that mike doesn't think marriage is important yet doesn't want gay people to be able to do that unimportant thing.

Kind of like how he thought the US government could eliminate the deficit by issuing more bonds.
4/10/2013 10:59 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...59|60|61|62|63...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.