DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

I'll try to be more clear.   There are plenty of people who believe homosexuality is a deviant sexual behavior.   I don't know why they formed this opinion and I don't care if they're right or wrong.   But I do understand that they have an opionion that might not be as mainstream now as it was 30 years ago.   I don't believe we, as a society, thought gay people were some strange form of mammal that wasn't quite human.    Society didn't make them go to different bathrooms, deny them voting rights or refuse to rent them cars.   Society just didn't accept homosexual behavior as "normal".    It's just not that hard for me to believe that some people still don't see homosexuality as "normal".
4/11/2013 11:55 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/11/2013 11:55:00 AM (view original):
I'll try to be more clear.   There are plenty of people who believe homosexuality is a deviant sexual behavior.   I don't know why they formed this opinion and I don't care if they're right or wrong.   But I do understand that they have an opionion that might not be as mainstream now as it was 30 years ago.   I don't believe we, as a society, thought gay people were some strange form of mammal that wasn't quite human.    Society didn't make them go to different bathrooms, deny them voting rights or refuse to rent them cars.   Society just didn't accept homosexual behavior as "normal".    It's just not that hard for me to believe that some people still don't see homosexuality as "normal".
At the same time, you don't see that it doesn't matter if a part of the population doesn't accept homosexuality as normal. Allowing them to marry is the right thing to do.
4/11/2013 12:01 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/11/2013 12:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/11/2013 11:55:00 AM (view original):
At the same time, you don't see that it doesn't matter if a part of the population doesn't accept homosexuality as normal. Allowing them to marry is the right thing to do.
Because you say so?
4/11/2013 12:13 PM
Seriously, that's about the extent of your argument.
4/11/2013 12:14 PM
Do you think homosexuality is "normal" human behavior?
4/11/2013 12:14 PM
Homosexuality isn't "normal", no.

S&M isn't "normal" either. But we let people who are into weird things like that get married.
4/11/2013 12:24 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/11/2013 12:14:00 PM (view original):

And now we know the reason I stopped responding to his nonsense in this thread a week ago.

Well, that and his penchant for responding to every question with a question and his demand that you repeat the same thing over and over again.

4/11/2013 12:25 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/11/2013 12:25:00 PM (view original):

S&M isn't "normal" either. But we let people who are into weird things like that get married.
The current definition of marriage allows for S&Mers to marry.
4/11/2013 12:27 PM
The extent of YOUR argument is "tradition and history." How many things can you name that have not changed over the past couple thousand years? You're using the argument of "it hasn't changed" as justification to why it shouldn't change.
4/11/2013 12:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/11/2013 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/11/2013 12:25:00 PM (view original):

The current definition of marriage allows for S&Mers to marry.
Exactly.
4/11/2013 12:28 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/11/2013 12:27:00 PM (view original):
The extent of YOUR argument is "tradition and history." How many things can you name that have not changed over the past couple thousand years? You're using the argument of "it hasn't changed" as justification to why it shouldn't change.
The alleged "changes" to the institution of marriage over the past tens of thousands of years have all been ancillary changes.  The concept of "man" and "woman" is as fundamental a concept to the institution of marriage as can possibly be.  To say it should be something else because "what's the harm?" is akin to saying that up should now be down, and left should now be right.
4/11/2013 12:34 PM
All people are equal, right? Men and women can do whatever they want, as equals. Unless its marriage. Then there are specific rules.

Can you name something else in society that prohibits someone from doing something based on their sex?
4/11/2013 12:42 PM
I, personally, don't see much of a difference between "man and woman" and "two people." I understand that you do.
4/11/2013 12:43 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/11/2013 12:42:00 PM (view original):
All people are equal, right? Men and women can do whatever they want, as equals. Unless its marriage. Then there are specific rules.

Can you name something else in society that prohibits someone from doing something based on their sex?
Can Tiger Woods play in the LPGA?
4/11/2013 12:44 PM
 It's not a choice.  If it WERE a choice, I would at least understand the arguments against gay marriage. 

Then you should understand the arguments, because IT IS a choice.

I've clearly and logically explained how it's a choice to you and everyone else here.
Biz, what's the "right choice", in your opinion?

A) Being attracted to people of the same sex, and having a homosexual relationship.
B) Being attracted to people of the same sex, having no relationship, or a heterosexual one.

The point is that they ARE choices to begin with. No matter which is considered "right", they are all CHOICES.

I'm sick of so many people buying into the completely illogical idea that who you have a romantic and/or sexual relationship with is somehow not your choice and you are "forced" to do it based upon who you are attracted to - never mind that attraction is a product of various factors itself, which can and do change over time.

This line of thinking is an amazing fallacy purported by those who - for whatever reason - feel the need to justify homosexuality.  Yet so many people foolishly buy right into it.
  Society just didn't accept homosexual behavior as "normal".    It's just not that hard for me to believe that some people still don't see homosexuality as "normal".

I don't think we should condemn or judge anyone for thinking any given sexual behavior is less than "normal". You have a right to your opinion, and like MikeT23 points out, no one is denying anyone the use of the same facilities or amenities based upon their "odd" sexual behavior.

But those people aren't asking for changes in the law that allow them to get married differently.  For example, if they asked for changes in the law to allow for special "S&M weddings" where the entire wedding party beats up anyone that attends their wedding and no one can be prosecuted, that wouldn't be allowed because it's ridiculous.

All people ARE equal. I don't see any way marriage is different. Everyone can marry anyone of the opposite gender, no matter what gender they are to begin with.
4/11/2013 1:30 PM
◂ Prev 1...64|65|66|67|68...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.