DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Nope. You're wrong. Your logic is bad. Attraction to one gender or the other is the only factor when it comes to picking a man or woman. Only after that determination has been made do people consider other factors. You are either gay or straight long before you have any romantic encounters. Insisting otherwise is similar to insisting that the world is 10,000 years old.
4/25/2013 9:40 AM
I didn't know that dictionaries were supposed to come with instruction manuals.

I thought that you just, you know, look up words to see what they meant.
4/25/2013 9:42 AM
Nope. You're wrong. Your logic is bad.

Why? Because you say so? Because you disagree and you can't accept that you have no logical basis for your position?
Attraction to one gender or the other is the only factor when it comes to picking a man or woman.

Wrong. Maybe for YOU attraction was "the only factor", but it's not that way for every person. There are other factors which certainly can and often do affect the decision. The fact that more than attraction can be involved shows attraction is not the "be all and end all" which determines sexuality.
Only after that determination has been made do people consider other factors.

You've just proven yourself to be wrong. Regardless of which happens when, the fact that other factors are considered at all indicates attraction doesn't by itself determine sexuality.
You are either gay or straight long before you have any romantic encounters.

Why? Again, I want to hear a reason other than because you say so or because other people agree with you. You've never given any other reason beyond that.
4/25/2013 9:46 AM

No instruction manual is needed, but you do need to understand that the meaning of words as defined in the dictionary is determined by commonly accepted definitions, not necessarily by logically "correct" definitions.
4/25/2013 9:47 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/25/2013 9:47:00 AM (view original):

No instruction manual is needed, but you do need to understand that the meaning of words as defined in the dictionary is determined by commonly accepted definitions, not necessarily by logically "correct" definitions.
Is that because Merriam-Webster is part of the propaganda machine for some insidious conspiracy to destroy us?

is it Al-Qaeda?
4/25/2013 10:02 AM
4/25/2013 10:05 AM
Were the Boston bombers armed with dictionaries?
4/25/2013 10:05 AM
Define "dictionaries".
4/25/2013 10:22 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/25/2013 9:46:00 AM (view original):
Nope. You're wrong. Your logic is bad.

Why? Because you say so? Because you disagree and you can't accept that you have no logical basis for your position?
Attraction to one gender or the other is the only factor when it comes to picking a man or woman.

Wrong. Maybe for YOU attraction was "the only factor", but it's not that way for every person. There are other factors which certainly can and often do affect the decision. The fact that more than attraction can be involved shows attraction is not the "be all and end all" which determines sexuality.
Only after that determination has been made do people consider other factors.

You've just proven yourself to be wrong. Regardless of which happens when, the fact that other factors are considered at all indicates attraction doesn't by itself determine sexuality.
You are either gay or straight long before you have any romantic encounters.

Why? Again, I want to hear a reason other than because you say so or because other people agree with you. You've never given any other reason beyond that.
You aren't offering anything other than because you say so either. The reality of the situation is that sexuality is not a choice. Why? Because sexuality is determined by what gender you are attracted to and you've already admitted that you have no say in what gender attracts you.
4/25/2013 10:24 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/25/2013 9:47:00 AM (view original):

So where can I find a dictionary with the "logically correct definitions?"

If there isn't one, doesn't that sound like a great way to make money?  Since people buy dictionaries to get the correct definitions?

Why would someone buy a dictionary if it didn't have the correct definitions?
4/25/2013 10:47 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/25/2013 9:23:00 AM (view original):
You sound like a switch hitter to me.

Sounds like you enjoy being wrong because you assume things.
I just assumed you're attracted to men because you said you're more attracted to women. I'm not attracted to men at all. You are either not very clear in what you are trying to say, or you like to receive as well as give.
4/25/2013 11:12 AM
Is that because Merriam-Webster is part of the propaganda machine for some insidious conspiracy to destroy us?

No.

If propaganda is successful, it gets its definition to become the (or one of the) commonly accepted definition(s) of a word. Since commonly accepted definitions are what a dictionary lists, it therefore makes it into dictionaries which believe the definition meets their standards for common acceptance.
You aren't offering anything other than because you say so either.

Yes, I have.

Several times I've shown how actions dictate the logical way we apply terms to people in most circumstances, complete with several specific examples of how this reasoning works and therefore why it should be applied in the same way to sexuality.

You've given NOTHING to indicate that this would be wrong other than you saying so and declaring others agree with you. So I'm asking you to do that now.

Give me real REASONS why sexuality should not follow the logical reasoning used to define virtually every other term we give to people but instead should be based upon attraction, feelings, or "what you say you are, you are".

Because sexuality is determined by what gender you are attracted to and you've already admitted that you have no say in what gender attracts you.

Again, I want REASONS WHY you think "sexuality is determined by what gender you are attracted to."

So far all you've done is state this same thing over and over again with nothing but "because I say so and people agree with me" to back it up.
So where can I find a dictionary with the "logically correct definitions?"
As I said, providing logically correct definitions is not the job of a dictionary - it's not what a dictionary does. If you can't grasp that simple concept, then you have no business trying to debate this topic with me.
If there isn't one, doesn't that sound like a great way to make money?  Since people buy dictionaries to get the correct definitions?
People buy dictionaries to learn the commonly accepted meanings of words and verify what they are. Many people make the same mistake you have and think that means the definitions are "correct", but they are only "correct" if your intent is to use them to find the commonly accepted meanings of words.

Perhaps you should stop thinking in terms of "correct" and realize it's about what is commonly accepted, not "correct".

I'm not going to respond to any more ridiculous comments by fools who can't understand how a dictionary defines words. If you can't get that simple concept, you sure as hell can't grasp anything more complicated, and you therefore have no place trying to discuss or debate this topic with me.

4/25/2013 11:21 AM
Ok. How about this?

You've agreed that attraction is not a choice. You've agreed that most people are only attracted to one gender or the other.

Lets make it legal for people to marry whatever gender they want because they don't have a choice in what gender they are attracted to.

4/25/2013 11:25 AM
How do I know whether the definitions of words are correct or not?  This is important.  I don't want to tell someone I want a cheeseburger at McDonalds and for them to hand me 30 packets of ketchup instead.
4/25/2013 11:25 AM
I just assumed you're attracted to men because you said you're more attracted to women.

Everyone has varying levels of attraction to other people based upon many criteria or factors. If you compare any two people, you are probably going to be more attracted to one than to the other for any number of those factors. 
I'm not attracted to men at all.

Your believe your level of attraction to men is so scarce that it is virtually non-existent. Great. You probably won't have relationships or sex with men, then. That doesn't mean it would be impossible for you to do that - it just means you probably won't choose to do it.
You are either not very clear in what you are trying to say, or you like to receive as well as give.

I'm quite clear - you just jump to conclusions based upon incorrect assumptions.
4/25/2013 11:26 AM
◂ Prev 1...94|95|96|97|98...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.