DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

If you can't think of any others, why are you so damn sure that sexual attraction can't be controlled?

5/1/2013 12:09 PM
Because its not necessary to think of other attractions in order to consider sexual attraction.

Again, I get it mike. You see someone make a generality without hedging against all possible extreme exceptions. It gives your life purpose to come up with some one-off, crazy example* in order to say "na ah, see!!!"

As a basic rule, please imagine that all of my posts contain the following: generality only, just for the sake of argument. Author makes no warranties of infallibility and is positive that some other retarded ******* could come up with a crazy, completely made up, one-off scenario to show that this generality might not be true 100% of the time.

*for reference see sterile brother sister lovers or asexual life mate who develops attraction to friend.
5/1/2013 12:43 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2013 12:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/1/2013 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2013 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/1/2013 10:52:00 AM (view original):
Do you need the details on why I'd call you ignorant and insensitive?  Aren't they obvious?

I'm willing to accept that there are some asexual or bisexual people who could choose to have a heterosexual lifestyle, marriage, etc, who have chosen to have a homosexual lifestyle.  I'm not sure why that matters, though.
Here ya' go, burnsyluck.

And, if your reasoning for denying gay marriage is that it's a choice, well, your argument is made.
"Being a choice" isnt a reason for denying anything.  There's more to that dumbass argument.
Sure it is.    Gay marriage is not legal in many states.    If you want to get married, don't choose a same sex partner(which I thought we agreed, was a possibility). 
"Being a choice" isnt a reason for denying anything.

- Why can't I call in a bomb threat?
- Because that's a choice you make.  
- Huh?

5/1/2013 1:25 PM
Don't like the "GOTCHA!!!" moment when it's used against you?

I dare say you are not an expert on human behavior or sexual attraction.   You do not know if people are born gay, straight, bisexual or asexual.   In fact, when confronted with your lack of knowledge on how people are born, you quickly, within minutes, agreed that people could actually be born with no sexual attraction to either sex after denying such a thing could ever happen.   You've also agreed that sexual attraction, despite your lack of expertise, could change from one sex to the other. 

Nonetheless, back on point, one of your main contentions has been that gay people do not choose to be gay and, therefore, should be given the same rights to marriage.   You have contradicted yourself, repeatedly, over the last 3-4 pages.   

While biz is batshit crazy(or an expert troll), he does stick to his argument regardless of how retarded it is.     Maybe you could do the same.
5/1/2013 1:25 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/1/2013 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2013 12:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/1/2013 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2013 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/1/2013 10:52:00 AM (view original):
Do you need the details on why I'd call you ignorant and insensitive?  Aren't they obvious?

I'm willing to accept that there are some asexual or bisexual people who could choose to have a heterosexual lifestyle, marriage, etc, who have chosen to have a homosexual lifestyle.  I'm not sure why that matters, though.
Here ya' go, burnsyluck.

And, if your reasoning for denying gay marriage is that it's a choice, well, your argument is made.
"Being a choice" isnt a reason for denying anything.  There's more to that dumbass argument.
Sure it is.    Gay marriage is not legal in many states.    If you want to get married, don't choose a same sex partner(which I thought we agreed, was a possibility). 
"Being a choice" isnt a reason for denying anything.

- Why can't I call in a bomb threat?
- Because that's a choice you make.  
- Huh?

Sure it is.  Let's go back to pot.  

Dopers say "I ain't hurting nobody."
burnsyluck has said "Gay marriage ain't hurting nobody!"

You cannot legally smoke dope in most states. 
You cannot legally marry someone of the same sex in most states.

Choices.   This is based on your statement of "I'm willing to accept that there are some asexual or bisexual people who could choose to have a heterosexual lifestyle, marriage, etc, who have chosen to have a homosexual lifestyle."
5/1/2013 1:28 PM
There's nothing to justify.  It you have a relationship or sex with anyone, you did that, it's a choice you made.  Nobody is arguing that choice wasn't made.

What people are attempting to do is say that those choices somehow don't establish your sexuality, which is absolutely ridiculous on the level of saying committing a crime doesn't establish a person as a criminal.
I don't believe that sexuality is a choice because it is based on attraction that you can't control.

So you're saying that your choices being based upon attraction that you can't control somehow means they aren't a choice? That you are a robot and cannot choose based upon anything other than attraction? That you have absolutely no control over your own thoughts and feelings?
As a basic rule, please imagine that all of my posts contain the following: generality only, just for the sake of argument.
So you do things "for the sake of argument", then. I thought that's what you accused me of doing and called me a "troll". Seems we now know who the real troll is (hint: it's you).

5/1/2013 1:28 PM
Are you saying its better to stick to an argument for the sake of sticking to an argument and being consistent?

Anyone can choose to have sex with anyone they choose.  They still have an attraction towards one sex or another.  There are some bisexuals (and I suppose asexuals) who have no preference and ultimately make a choice, but common sense tells you that's not a common occurance.
5/1/2013 1:29 PM
"What people are attempting to do is say that those choices somehow don't establish your sexuality, which is absolutely ridiculous on the level of saying committing a crime doesn't establish a person as a criminal."

So if you have gay sex, are you always gay then?  Since we're comparing the two.  A criminal is someone who has committed a crime.
5/1/2013 1:32 PM
If you're going to ramble on for 100 pages, yeah, be consistent.    Or STFU.  Whichever works.
5/1/2013 1:32 PM
Mike - are you not allowed to smoke pot because it's a choice?
5/1/2013 1:33 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/1/2013 1:33:00 PM (view original):
No, it's illegal.   I can't legally smoke pot.
5/1/2013 1:36 PM
If I want to smoke pot legally, I have to go to CO.
5/1/2013 1:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2013 1:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/1/2013 1:33:00 PM (view original):
No, it's illegal.   I can't legally smoke pot.
Mike - is it illegal to smoke pot because it's a choice?
5/1/2013 1:37 PM
If I choose to smoke pot, I know I can't do it legally. 
5/1/2013 1:39 PM
Why are you answering different questions than the one I'm asking?
5/1/2013 1:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...112|113|114|115|116...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.