DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Syllogism

A. Marriage is the standard of generally successfully functioning cultures, for human mating, generally consistent throughout the world, a matter of (self-evident) "Natural Law."

B. Mating, from any relevant discipline's study, is male-female, by clear ontological definition.

C. _________________________________________________.
5/13/2013 5:40 PM (edited)
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 5/13/2013 5:40:00 PM (view original):
Syllogism

A. Marriage is the standard of generally successfully functioning cultures, for human mating, generally consistent throughout the world, a matter of (self-evident) "Natural Law."

B. Mating, from any relevant discipline's study, is male-female, by clear ontological definition.

C. _________________________________________________.
C. Allowing gay marriage changes none of that. Straight people will still marry (or not) and have kids. Gay people may or may not marry and will still be incapable of having their own biological children.
5/13/2013 6:04 PM
bad_luck with the syllogism FAIL.
5/13/2013 6:07 PM
B. Mating, from any relevant discipline's study, is pre-menopausal.

C. ___________________________________________________.
5/13/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/13/2013 6:07:00 PM (view original):
How, exactly?
5/13/2013 6:27 PM
This is bistiza's argument, in a nutshell:

Bis: "Sexuality is not based on attraction, it's based on your choices."

everyone else: we disagree

Bis: "Sorry, the argument that sexuality is based on attraction has been debunked."

5/13/2013 7:03 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/13/2013 7:03:00 PM (view original):

Bis: "Sorry, the argument that sexuality is based on attraction has been debunked."

Yep. Just like his "argument" on the age of the earth.
5/13/2013 7:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/13/2013 6:27:00 PM (view original):
How, exactly?
In a syllogism, a conclusion (in this case, C) is inferred from two or more premises (in this case, A and B).

Instead, you inserted your personal opinion which, in no way, can be logically inferred from the two premises presented.

Therefore, syllogism FAIL on your part.

5/13/2013 7:26 PM
The syllogism fail occurred with the false premise A.
5/13/2013 7:55 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/13/2013 7:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/13/2013 6:27:00 PM (view original):
How, exactly?
In a syllogism, a conclusion (in this case, C) is inferred from two or more premises (in this case, A and B).

Instead, you inserted your personal opinion which, in no way, can be logically inferred from the two premises presented.

Therefore, syllogism FAIL on your part.

But there is no relevant conclusion to be formed. Reproduction isn't a prerequisite of marriage. My answer for C is not just an opinion, it's fact. Allowing gays to marry won't change the fact that straight people will continue to marry and reproduce. Unless you think they will?

You're right, though, there is a fail, but it exists in the construction of A and B.
5/13/2013 8:26 PM (edited)
C is not fact, it is an opinion.  Opinion is not fact.  
5/13/2013 8:35 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/13/2013 8:35:00 PM (view original):
No, it's a fact. There are gay marriages happening right now and straight people continue to reproduce and/or marry as they always have. Society hasn't fallen apart.
5/13/2013 9:17 PM
You can respond precisely to what others are saying by using 1/11 of the words, as I did earlier.

I can respond the way I choose, and you can respond the way you choose.
Also, as I said earlier, I'm not arguing this topic with you anymore.  Just making the point that you're insanely verbose. 
So you're not longer arguing the actual point of discussion, just making excuses as to why you couldn't get the job done. Got it.
And I'd argue that you're doing it as a strategy to "win" an argument.  You've posted several things in conversation with me to which my response was essentially "Yea, you told me all that before, but that doesn't show any evidence/answer my question to you."  You're essentially a politician in a debate.  Answer a question, but not actually say anything while you're doing it.
No, I answer you directly every time. Just because I didn't answer in the way you would prefer doesn't mean I didn't answer at all.

As for any reasonable form of "winning" the actual debate we once had, I've accomplished that long ago. Unless you or someone else presents some kind of new challenge to my argument supported by logical reasoning, then nothing has changed in regards to that.
Allowing gay marriage changes none of that. Straight people will still marry (or not) and have kids. Gay people may or may not marry and will still be incapable of having their own biological children.
I believe the point was that gay marriage is unnecessary, not that it wouldn't change anything. Nice try, though.

You need to go back and read the thread, dahs, because that's NOT the argument. The argument you're making WAS debunked by me, but not because I say so - because I actually did it, many pages ago in this very thread.

Seriously, if you weren't around for pertinent discussion, go back and read it before you pretend you know what's going on when you clearly don't.

Yep. Just like his "argument" on the age of the earth.

Seriously? You were here and a part of the discussion and you don't remember it? You even attempted to make several points which I quickly debunked, including the famous statement "you are what you say you are", to which I told you criminals should all be set free if they claim they are innocent and I am the billionaire batpope because I say I am.

Ring any bells? Because you were soundly beaten in those arguments, but its convenient for you to forget all about that now.

5/14/2013 8:01 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/13/2013 9:17:00 PM (view original):
No, it's a fact. There are gay marriages happening right now and straight people continue to reproduce and/or marry as they always have. Society hasn't fallen apart.
Societies develop over a period of time.    That period of time is not 9 years.  
5/14/2013 8:08 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/14/2013 8:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/13/2013 9:17:00 PM (view original):
Societies develop over a period of time.    That period of time is not 9 years.  
So you think straight people will stop getting married and having kids because gays are allowed to marry?

That's right up there with, "we'll have to let people marry their dogs" etc.
5/14/2013 10:07 AM
◂ Prev 1...150|151|152|153|154...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.