DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Several states seceded back in the day.   We saw how that worked out.   The Feds said "No thank you" with force.   Think those 11 states will take up arms to defend their gay marriage?
Seceding wasn't legal. Setting marriage law is a power reserved for the states.

Again, a high school level government class would prevent you from embarrassing yourself like this again.
6/20/2013 3:39 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/20/2013 2:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 2:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 2:41:00 PM (view original):
Feds do not recognize that union as marriage.
Sure, DOMA has prevented that since the 1990's. but DOMA is about to be tossed by SCOTUS.

And, anyway, 11 states allow gay couples to marry, so your point that gay marriage is unprecedented is incorrect.
39 states say there is no such thing as gay marriage.

Plus, calling a blueberry an apple, because a law says it should be called an apple, doesn't make it an apple.

Unless you think it does.

Do you?
Apples and blueberries are tangible things. Marriage isn't.
6/20/2013 3:40 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Several states seceded back in the day.   We saw how that worked out.   The Feds said "No thank you" with force.   Think those 11 states will take up arms to defend their gay marriage?
Seceding wasn't legal. Setting marriage law is a power reserved for the states.

Again, a high school level government class would prevent you from embarrassing yourself like this again.
Yet, somehow, DOMA has been around for 17 years.  How the **** did that happen?

As far as seceding, I don't think those seceding care much about the laws of the union that they're leaving.   Do you think the Civil War was fought in a court room?

A high school level government class would prevent you from embarrassing yourself like this again.   Check out a local community college.
6/20/2013 3:46 PM
Remember when Ol' Abe said "Hey, you can't secede as it's illegal" and all those southern states said "Oh, yeah, our bad"?

Yeah, me neither.   But badluck does.   Regale us with the court room battles of the Civil War, badluck!!!
6/20/2013 3:49 PM
And when DOMA is tossed next week and the Feds have to recognize the thousands of gay marriages that exist, will you admit that marriage includes gay couples?
6/20/2013 3:49 PM
Will you tell me about the time the Civil War was fought in a courtroom because seceding was illegal?
6/20/2013 3:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Remember when Ol' Abe said "Hey, you can't secede as it's illegal" and all those southern states said "Oh, yeah, our bad"?

Yeah, me neither.   But badluck does.   Regale us with the court room battles of the Civil War, badluck!!!
It was so legal to secede that the states filed the appropriate paperwork and left. No problem, since it was legal and all.
6/20/2013 3:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Will you tell me about the time the Civil War was fought in a courtroom because seceding was illegal?
You do realize that the seceding issue was settled with war because there wasn't a legal way to do it, right?
6/20/2013 3:53 PM
******* you're dumb.
6/20/2013 3:54 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):
You do realize that the seceding issue was settled with war because there wasn't a legal way to do it, right?
It was settled with war because the southern states didn't give a **** about what Abe Lincoln wanted.    Do you think Abe could have served them papers and solved the whole thing?

**** you're an idiot.
6/20/2013 3:56 PM
Lol
6/20/2013 3:58 PM
"Hey, Abe, rather than attempt to restock Fort Sumter with men and supplies, let's just serve South Carolina with some papers.   That will set them right!!!"

Dumbass.
6/20/2013 4:01 PM
Are you looking up "Civil War" on Wikipedia now?  I hope so.   You'll look a lot less stupid with your "legal" bullshit if you do.
6/20/2013 4:03 PM
God you're being an idiot right now Mike...  Even for you...

I don't even see the relevance of your Civil War argument.  Are you suggesting that if gay marriage is made illegal the states allowing SSM will secede?  Or that if DOMA is overturned the states not allowing gay marriage will secede?  Because if not there is no remote similarity.  Assuming everyone's staying within the union, they're going to have to abide by whatever the USSC determines to be the appropriate interpretation of the Constitution.
6/20/2013 4:10 PM
Did you even read the thread BEFORE you posted?

BL was claiming 11 states legalized gay marriage.  I pointed out that the Feds don't recognize it.   That sometimes states do dumb ****(like secede).   And the Feds "correct" the problem.  

How ******* stupid are you?  
6/20/2013 4:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...219|220|221|222|223...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.