DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 6/30/2013 10:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/30/2013 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/30/2013 6:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/30/2013 5:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/30/2013 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/30/2013 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/30/2013 2:22:00 PM (view original):
My point is: just because "A" is better than "B", that doesn't necessarily make "A" a good or desirable thing.
But if A is an improvement over B, then why not choose A over B?

Because B is happening anyway.
Because there may be far better options than A.
A gay couple is raising a child. As far as I can see there are only two options, the couple can be married or not.

What are the "far better options" that you see?
The gay couples should not have been given the child to begin with.  Why couldn't the child have been given to a worthy and desiring OS couple?
Who says they were "given" the child? It could easily be the biological child of one of the parents.

The parents are either allowed to marry or not. What other options do you see?
Nothing?

Because there are no other options. Allowing gay couples to marry strengthens families.
Civil union with equal benefits.
7/1/2013 6:02 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/1/2013 5:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/30/2013 8:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/30/2013 8:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/30/2013 8:52:00 PM (view original):
Other countries = not US

Stupidfuck. 
So people are significantly different in other countries?  Same-sex parents work differently there?

And again, answer the most important question - if you're going to offhandedly dismiss statistics from other countries and not allow same-sex parents to adopt in this country, how are you planning to "find out how it works?"

Do you not think other countries have different values?  Different views?  Different standards?

If you answer "no", I'll pay for your vasectomy.   I don't want you breeding in my country.

Stupidfuck.
Answer the damn question.  How are you going to determine if same sex parenting works, if you have to have evidence that it works before you legalize it in this country and you'll only accept evidence from this country.  You're totally missing the point.  100%.
Rather than jump in with both feet, you test the waters.   See how it works.  

Again, your view is "Let's just do it.  It will make people happy.   If it turns out that it's ******, we'll fix it later."

Measure twice, cut once.

Now you answer my damn questions.   I'll make it one question that will require a simple yes/no response.   Do you think all countries are the same?
7/1/2013 7:57 AM
My point is: just because "A" is better than "B", that doesn't necessarily make "A" a good or desirable thing.

A gay couple is raising a child. As far as I can see there are only two options, the couple can be married or not.

The gay couples should not have been given the child to begin with.  Why couldn't the child have been given to a worthy and desiring OS couple?
Who says they were "given" the child? It could easily be the biological child of one of the parents.

Nothing?

Because there are no other options. Allowing gay couples to marry strengthens families.
Does it?   Is marriage some magic pill?
7/1/2013 7:57 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 7:57:00 AM (view original):
Other countries = not US

Stupidfuck. 
So people are significantly different in other countries?  Same-sex parents work differently there?

And again, answer the most important question - if you're going to offhandedly dismiss statistics from other countries and not allow same-sex parents to adopt in this country, how are you planning to "find out how it works?"

Do you not think other countries have different values?  Different views?  Different standards?

If you answer "no", I'll pay for your vasectomy.   I don't want you breeding in my country.

Stupidfuck.
Answer the damn question.  How are you going to determine if same sex parenting works, if you have to have evidence that it works before you legalize it in this country and you'll only accept evidence from this country.  You're totally missing the point.  100%.

Again, your view is "Let's just do it.  It will make people happy.   If it turns out that it's ******, we'll fix it later."

Measure twice, cut once.

Now you answer my damn questions.   I'll make it one question that will require a simple yes/no response.   Do you think all countries are the same?
Gay couples adopting has been happening in the US for 20 years. It has also been happening in Canada, Western Europe, and Australia, countries similar enough to the US that we should be able to draw conclusions.

How much more of a test do you want?

And anyway, we aren't really debating gay adoption, that's already happening along with gay parents raising biological children. According to tec, marriage is special and strengthens families. We should allow gay marriage for the benefit of those children.
7/1/2013 9:27 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2013 6:02:00 AM (view original):

Nothing?

Civil union with equal benefits.
I guess tec doesn't think there is anything special about marriage, nevermind.
7/1/2013 9:28 AM
I never said "marriage is special and strengthen families".
7/1/2013 9:35 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/29/2013 7:39:00 PM (view original):
Among other things, it legitimizes the heads of a traditional family.  You know, "mommy" and "daddy".
Oh, ok. I guess I misunderstood the BFD you made here.
7/1/2013 9:49 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/29/2013 7:44:00 PM (view original):
I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, all of my classmates, friends, cousins, etc. came from households that had a mom and dad who were married to each other.

There was the occasional divorce situation, and the even rarer widow/widower situation, but everybody else was a member of a family with a mom and dad who were married to each other.

Thought I'd mention that in case you wanted to know what "family" means.
And here
7/1/2013 9:50 AM
So, according to tec, marriage isn't special and doesn't strengthen families.
7/1/2013 9:51 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2013 9:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 7:57:00 AM (view original):
Other countries = not US

Stupidfuck. 

Stupidfuck.

Measure twice, cut once.

Gay couples adopting has been happening in the US for 20 years. It has also been happening in Canada, Western Europe, and Australia, countries similar enough to the US that we should be able to draw conclusions.

How much more of a test do you want?

And anyway, we aren't really debating gay adoption, that's already happening along with gay parents raising biological children. According to tec, marriage is special and strengthens families. We should allow gay marriage for the benefit of those children.

I think we are debating gay adoption.  

And I'm dying to hear how gay marriage must make raising children "better".    Do tell.

7/1/2013 9:53 AM
Children are better off in homes where the parents are married. It takes 2 min on google to find that out.
7/1/2013 10:07 AM
So you're automatically applying that to gay marriage?
7/1/2013 10:10 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2013 9:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/29/2013 7:39:00 PM (view original):
Among other things, it legitimizes the heads of a traditional family.  You know, "mommy" and "daddy".
Oh, ok. I guess I misunderstood the BFD you made here.
Dumber by the day, you are.
7/1/2013 10:18 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 10:10:00 AM (view original):
Yes. Why wouldn't the same thing hold true for gay married parents vs gay unmarried parents?
7/1/2013 10:19 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2013 10:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 10:10:00 AM (view original):
Yes. Why wouldn't the same thing hold true for gay married parents vs gay unmarried parents?
Because they're not the same?
7/1/2013 10:22 AM
◂ Prev 1...252|253|254|255|256...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.