DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

If it makes you feel better, I think each individual marriage, traditional or same sex, is different.   I don't necessarily think married parents are any better at child-rearing than unmarried parents. 
7/1/2013 10:24 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 10:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2013 10:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 10:10:00 AM (view original):
So you're automatically applying that to gay marriage?
Yes. Why wouldn't the same thing hold true for gay married parents vs gay unmarried parents?
Because they're not the same?
Explain.
7/1/2013 10:26 AM
Really?
7/1/2013 10:31 AM
I don't necessarily think married parents are any better at child-rearing than unmarried parents.

You're talking about two parents, then, correct?

Because there are plenty of studies that say a two parents are far superior to a single parent in terms of child-rearing.
7/1/2013 10:43 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Really?
Yes. I'm assuming you mean they aren't the same in their ability to raise a child. I'd like you to explain how.
7/1/2013 10:44 AM
The crux of the argument - there are some, like BL and myself, who really don't see a difference on how gays have a relationship, raise children, live their lives in general (aside from their sexuality). They're people, like anyone.  There are others, like Mike and tec, who think that the way gays live is so different than heterosexuals that they have to be treated differently.  
7/1/2013 11:06 AM (edited)
When have I ever said that "the way gays live is so different than heterosexuals that they have to be treated differently"?

I've basically said three things in this thread:

1)  I believe in the traditional definition of marriage as being (only) between one man and one woman

2)  I'm all for civil unions for SS couples and giving them the same benefits as married OS couples

3)  I believe that children benefit more from being raised by OS parents that they would by SS parents because men and women each bring something different to the parenting experience.

When have I EVER mentioned ANYTHING about "the way gays live" in this thread?
7/1/2013 11:13 AM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 10:24:00 AM (view original):
If it makes you feel better, I think each individual marriage, traditional or same sex, is different.   I don't necessarily think married parents are any better at child-rearing than unmarried parents. 
Parenting is more a function of the people involved.  Having them being married provides a marginal benefit in that it provides a level of stability and security to the family unit.
7/1/2013 11:21 AM
I mean, you don't consider 2 fathers and their child a family, so obviously you think they're doing something significantly different.

Maybe the "way gays live" was the wrong wording for you, but I think you're missing the point and maybe being dense on purpose.  You see a significant enough difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals when it comes to being couples and raising children to treat them differently.  I don't.
7/1/2013 11:28 AM
1) You are free to believe that. Other people disagree. Beliefs are personal, though, and you shouldn't try to impose yours on others. No one is requiring that you live your life a certain way, extend others the same courtesy.

2) see #1

3) the choice isn't opposite sex parents or gay parents, it's gay married parents or gay unmarried parents. It's pretty clear that children benefit when their parents are married.
7/1/2013 11:29 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2013 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2013 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Parenting is more a function of the people involved.  Having them being married provides a marginal benefit in that it provides a level of stability and security to the family unit.
I'm assuming you would also mean a civil union works with this argument too, yes? As in there's no difference.
7/1/2013 11:30 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 7/1/2013 11:28:00 AM (view original):
I mean, you don't consider 2 fathers and their child a family, so obviously you think they're doing something significantly different.

Maybe the "way gays live" was the wrong wording for you, but I think you're missing the point and maybe being dense on purpose.  You see a significant enough difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals when it comes to being couples and raising children to treat them differently.  I don't.
(sigh)

To me, a family is a mother, a father, and children.  What's missing in your example above is mom.  That, and you have an extra dad.

I'm fine with homosexual couples.  Just don't call their formal union "marriage", because marriage is between a man and a woman.

As far as raising children, in a case of adoption, I believe that adopted children are better served in a traditional family with a mom and a dad, because I believe men and woman each bring something different to the parenting experience and providing for a better rounded experience for the child growing up.

What parts of the above three things are you not understanding.
7/1/2013 11:35 AM
To me, a family is a mother, a father, and children.  What's missing in your example above is mom.  That, and you have an extra dad.

I'm fine with homosexual couples.  Just don't call their formal union "marriage", because marriage is between a man and a woman.

As far as raising children, in a case of adoption, I believe that adopted children are better served in a traditional family with a mom and a dad, because I believe men and woman each bring something different to the parenting experience and providing for a better rounded experience for the child growing up.

I agree with this 100 percent.
7/1/2013 11:39 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2013 11:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 7/1/2013 11:28:00 AM (view original):

(sigh)

Nothing.  I think you just agreed with my statement.  (or maybe I am misunderstanding something)
7/1/2013 11:48 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2013 11:29:00 AM (view original):
1) You are free to believe that. Other people disagree. Beliefs are personal, though, and you shouldn't try to impose yours on others. No one is requiring that you live your life a certain way, extend others the same courtesy.

2) see #1

3) the choice isn't opposite sex parents or gay parents, it's gay married parents or gay unmarried parents. It's pretty clear that children benefit when their parents are married.
How is expressing my beliefs the same as imposing them on others?

Isn't that EXACTLY the same as what you've been doing this entire thread?

Should I chide you for trying to imposing your beliefs on me?
7/1/2013 11:50 AM
◂ Prev 1...253|254|255|256|257...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.