DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Only if he said "I'm a racist".

You know, because no one else has a valid opinion.

7/12/2013 6:34 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/12/2013 6:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/12/2013 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/12/2013 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 7/12/2013 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/12/2013 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/12/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
I've answered every question you've asked.

The reason you can't give an answer is that there is no harm in allowing gay marriage. We know this because gay marriage is legal now in plenty of places and nothing bad has happened because of it.

What you should have said 290 pages ago is, "you're right, there is no harm, I just don't like gay people." The discussion would have stopped there.
When did I ever say or imply "I don't like gay people"?
Your insistence that marriage must be between man and woman, and to remain that way, because it was important to your belief system and tradition.
You arguing that SSM defeats the purpose of marriage.
Your insistence that children are raised better when a man and woman raising them.
You arguing that 2 members of the same sex and their child is not considered a family.
You arguing that homosexuals want gay marriage for the sake of "political correctness."

If I heard all of this information from one person, one could argue it implies that the person does not like gay people.
So if somebody has specific opinions on specific topics that run contrary to PC, he must be a hater?

Got it.  Good to know.  Thanks.

So let's all just bid adieu to independent thought, and let our minds be guided by liberal bloggers.
If I came on here and said that I don't think blacks should be allowed to marry whites because it violates my personal beliefs and traditions, that children are better off in homes where the parents are the same race, that interracial couples don't qualify as a real family in my mind, that interracial marriage is just another example of society caving in to pressure to be politically correct, would you consider me racist?
If I considered you a racist, would that actually make you a racist?
Not necessarily, but would you consider me a racist?
7/12/2013 6:44 PM
I said one could argue you're implying you're a homophobe. Not that you said you were.
7/12/2013 6:44 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/12/2013 6:44:00 PM (view original):

The reason you can't give an answer is that there is no harm in allowing gay marriage. We know this because gay marriage is legal now in plenty of places and nothing bad has happened because of it.

What you should have said 290 pages ago is, "you're right, there is no harm, I just don't like gay people." The discussion would have stopped there.
Your insistence that marriage must be between man and woman, and to remain that way, because it was important to your belief system and tradition.
Your insistence that children are raised better when a man and woman raising them.
You arguing that 2 members of the same sex and their child is not considered a family.
You arguing that homosexuals want gay marriage for the sake of "political correctness."

If I heard all of this information from one person, one could argue it implies that the person does not like gay people.
So if somebody has specific opinions on specific topics that run contrary to PC, he must be a hater?

So let's all just bid adieu to independent thought, and let our minds be guided by liberal bloggers.
If I came on here and said that I don't think blacks should be allowed to marry whites because it violates my personal beliefs and traditions, that children are better off in homes where the parents are the same race, that interracial couples don't qualify as a real family in my mind, that interracial marriage is just another example of society caving in to pressure to be politically correct, would you consider me racist?
Do you need other people's opinions to validate to yourself who or what you actually are (or are not)?

What effect would my opinion have on you?

Why do you need to know what I thought of you had you said those were your beliefs?
7/12/2013 9:50 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 7/12/2013 6:45:00 PM (view original):
I said one could argue you're implying you're a homophobe. Not that you said you were.
People are free to believe whatever they want to believe.  Nobody has to agree with you.  Nor do you need to agree with anybody else.
7/12/2013 9:51 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by tecwrg on 7/12/2013 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/12/2013 6:44:00 PM (view original):

Do you need other people's opinions to validate to yourself who or what you actually are (or are not)?

What effect would my opinion have on you?

Why do you need to know what I thought of you had you said those were your beliefs?
If I said those things it would be reasonable to infer that I was racist. In the same way that it is reasonable to infer that you don't like gay people or that mike is developmentally challenged.
7/13/2013 12:09 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I really dont understand why some people feel they have the right to keep certain things away from certain people or groups of people.  Marriage is legal, being gay is legal, why cant gays be married?  I would never consider holding somebody back from doing something that is legal to do based on their lifestyle.  Personal choice is kinda big for me.  For some people it isnt.  I wonder how many people who are against SSM are also right to lifers?  Conversely I wonder how many people who are for SSM are pro-choice?  Probably a heck of a lot of over lap there.  I guess some people are just into controlling others.
7/13/2013 12:55 PM
Is that any different from those who feel that their "new" views or opinions are somehow "better" for society, and insist that the world change to fit their new views?  And whoever is reluctant or unwilling to jump on the bandwagon must be ostracized?
7/13/2013 1:48 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/13/2013 1:48:00 PM (view original):
Is that any different from those who feel that their "new" views or opinions are somehow "better" for society, and insist that the world change to fit their new views?  And whoever is reluctant or unwilling to jump on the bandwagon must be ostracized?
No one is asking you to marry a guy. Just don't try to stop other people from doing something that is completely harmless.
7/13/2013 5:33 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/12/2013 9:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 7/12/2013 6:45:00 PM (view original):
People are free to believe whatever they want to believe.  Nobody has to agree with you.  Nor do you need to agree with anybody else.
That's fine. You asked how you implied it. I shared with you how you did.
7/14/2013 11:10 AM
The difference is, by withholding SSM, we're controlling how others live their lives. By allowing SSM, nobody is controlling how you live your life.
7/14/2013 11:17 AM
society is better when people have the right to do things that they want to do when what they want to do does not directly hurt others, especially when they simply want to do things that are legal for the majority of the population.  Or is society better when its unchanging and rigid?  Society changes, and our institutions should be able to change with them.
7/14/2013 3:02 PM
No, what you actually said was this:
By your logic, you would be a homophobe.
You didn't say anything about implying.
If I said those things it would be reasonable to infer that I was racist.
I don't think that's a reasonable inference at all. In fact, it is ridiculously short sighted.

Not everyone  is a racist just because they offer an opinion against the politically correct way of doing things where race is involved.
In the same way that it is reasonable to infer that you don't like gay people or that mike is developmentally challenged.
Your first statements weren't reasonable inferences to begin with, and now you're jumping off the deep end of completely ridiculous. Maybe you should stick to reading what someone says and not inferring anything.
I wonder how many people who are against SSM are also right to lifers?  Conversely I wonder how many people who are for SSM are pro-choice?  Probably a heck of a lot of over lap there.  I guess some people are just into controlling others.
I would suggest very few people are "into controlling others". Those who are pro-life or anti-SSM are merely defending their personal beliefs, the same as those who are of the opposite point of view.

Try to think of it from the perspective of the other side. I think of it like this: Are you against murder? I would guess you are. Well, many "pro-life" advocates think abortion is the same as murder. To them, wanting abortion to be illegal isn't any more of an attempt to "control others" than wanting murder to be illegal - it's just a logical decision. Would you argue that those who want murder to be illegal are trying to "control others"? Probably not.
The difference is, by withholding SSM, we're controlling how others live their lives. By allowing SSM, nobody is controlling how you live your life.

By withholding marriage to a bridge or a tree, you're controlling how others live their lives.
society is better when people have the right to do things that they want to do when what they want to do does not directly hurt others, especially when they simply want to do things that are legal for the majority of the population.

Drinking is legal for the majority of the population. So is smoking. Should we lift the age restrictions and let children freely purchase those products as well?
Society changes, and our institutions should be able to change with them.

Yes, and I think we should also let people marry a bridge or a tree. Where are your advocates for that? Oh, right, they don't exist because they only care about the homosexual agenda.
7/15/2013 9:03 AM
◂ Prev 1...298|299|300|301|302...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.