Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 8/28/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):
So we don't have to keep quoting giant posts.
Was there a week of mob violence in Ferguson, Missouri because of something that maybe or maybe didn't happen? Yes. That's not good.
There was a week of protests and riots because the community believes that the cops are racists ********. Evidence, apart from the Brown shooting, seems to validate this belief. The Brown shooting just pushed things over the top.
And the next time Sharpton shows up somewhere without knowing all the facts, more people roll their eyes.  Get your facts straight before you incite violence.
I'm fairly certain Sharpton didn't incite violence.
There was a week of violent protests because of this shooting.  Without the shooting, there are no violent protests.  Your argument is like saying Ray Rice was suspended because his wife was being a *****.

I worded that poorly. Two different thoughts.

8/28/2014 4:41 PM
Posted by moy23 on 8/28/2014 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 8/28/2014 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 8/28/2014 2:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/28/2014 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/28/2014 1:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/28/2014 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/28/2014 1:09:00 PM (view original):
"but the protests do bring attention to the problem and force us to examine ourselves."

Do you think that's what's happening here?  Or what will happen as a result of this?

Like it always has before?

Really?

Are you saying that protests don't bring attention to racial problems?
It certainly brings attention.  Probably not the kind of positive attention you seem to think it does.

Do you think anything positive will come out of the Ferguson incident, and the ensuing reactions from the black community?

I think people are already paying more attention to racial matters. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some structural changes to how police departments operate. More black officers, more cameras on the cops, better training, regular reviews of the demographics of traffic stops and arrests, etc.
The problem isn't police cameras..... The problem is the continued enabling of a culture where education, work ethic, and parenting is not valued. Many of these people believe they are trapped and destined to be in poverty, or even jail.... That's the problem. A police camera is a band aid not a solution.
Police cameras with audio recording devices are a solution. Outfit every law enforcement official with a camera/audio and it keeps law enforcement having to deal with lawsuits and civilians from having to deal with bad cops.

In this situation, audio would have have confirmed/rejected the police officer's story. Instead we have our current situation where both sides of the story have huge holes.
So what did it permanently solve? Will white cops no longer shoot black people? Will blacks no longer riot? Rodney King was caught on video... Didn't stop the beating... or the riots.

The long term solution is not cameras... although I'm fine w/ equipping cop cars with them. We have cameras in the cars here in Chicago and just last month 5 black people in 36 hours were shot by cops, 3 were fatal including 2 minors. The cameras don't stop people from thinking its OK to commit crimes.
It's a solution to prevent the ambiguity that happens in situations like this. Police will continue to be in situations where deadly force is the correct choice, just the other day our cops killed a white veteran with PTSD who shot at them. I don't think lack of education, work ethic, or parenting was the problem in that situation.
8/28/2014 4:42 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/28/2014 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/28/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):
So we don't have to keep quoting giant posts.
Was there a week of mob violence in Ferguson, Missouri because of something that maybe or maybe didn't happen? Yes. That's not good.
There was a week of protests and riots because the community believes that the cops are racists ********. Evidence, apart from the Brown shooting, seems to validate this belief. The Brown shooting just pushed things over the top.
And the next time Sharpton shows up somewhere without knowing all the facts, more people roll their eyes.  Get your facts straight before you incite violence.
I'm fairly certain Sharpton didn't incite violence.
There was a week of violent protests because of this shooting.  Without the shooting, there are no violent protests.  Your argument is like saying Ray Rice was suspended because his wife was being a *****.

I worded that poorly. Two different thoughts.

Without the shooting, there are no violent protests.

That's true. But there's also no protests if the cops in Ferguson/St. Louis don't have a history of being racist ********. The two go hand in hand. 

8/28/2014 4:54 PM
What is Ferguson PD "racist *******" history, exactly? 
8/28/2014 5:00 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/28/2014 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/28/2014 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/28/2014 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/28/2014 2:45:00 PM (view original):
I have no problems with peaceful protests.  That's not what's happening.  
Are you sure about that?

If this was all that was happening, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
If a significant portion of the police weren't a bunch of racist ********, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Wow.  Way to throw out a blanket and unsubstantiated generalization.

Congrats.  Your argument has totally jumped the shark.
8/28/2014 5:07 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/28/2014 5:00:00 PM (view original):
What is Ferguson PD "racist *******" history, exactly? 
Well, there's this. The county Ferguson is in.

And this. Jennings is a tiny city right next to Ferguson, part of the greater St. Louis area.

And this stuff.

8/28/2014 5:12 PM
TOO MANY FACTS FOR RACIST REPUGS TO HANDLE
8/28/2014 6:42 PM
Ah yes,
Another example of not doing what the guy with the gun says

8/28/2014 8:25 PM
Posted by cobra on 8/28/2014 8:25:00 PM (view original):
Ah yes,
Another example of not doing what the guy with the gun says

I forgot that the constitution doesn't matter to you. Oh well.
8/28/2014 8:53 PM
What's the problem with producing identification?  When you refuse to comply with a request like that, you're acting as if you have something to hide.  That in itself is suspicious.

Also, the video is nice, but what happened in the moments before the video started that prompted this to begin with?
8/28/2014 9:01 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/28/2014 9:01:00 PM (view original):
What's the problem with producing identification?  When you refuse to comply with a request like that, you're acting as if you have something to hide.  That in itself is suspicious.

Also, the video is nice, but what happened in the moments before the video started that prompted this to begin with?
What's the problem with letting the cops search your car? Refusing to comply makes it seem like you have something to hide.
8/28/2014 9:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.