Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

It appears I have some catching up to do...Damn.
8/29/2014 12:17 PM
I'm not going to read every story about how cops are racist, I asked specifically about Ferguson cops.  The story about arresting someone for bleeding on an officers clothes is pretty ****** up.

I understand the reasoning of how you can "reach a tipping point."  But it doesn't mean it's acceptable.  Ray Rice was being ******* by a nagging, nasty, horrible-acting finance, so he punched her in the face. He reached "a tipping point." 

To react the way the Ferguson community had reacted, every night for a week, is unacceptable.  And they're reacting to a POSSIBLE murder.  

EDIT: The story about the Ferguson arrest was REALLY ****** up.  I'm understanding that if this is how the police force treats it's black citizens, how a community can feel.  And you can argue that this story comes out only because of the way the community is acting now.  That said...to ASSUME murder because a black teen died by a white cop's bullet isn't a good thing to do.  Looting and attacking law enforcement because you ASSUME murder is very poor judgement.  It doesn't make you look good either.
8/29/2014 12:57 PM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 8/28/2014 5:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/28/2014 5:00:00 PM (view original):
What is Ferguson PD "racist *******" history, exactly? 
Well, there's this. The county Ferguson is in.

And this. Jennings is a tiny city right next to Ferguson, part of the greater St. Louis area.

And this stuff.

8/29/2014 12:55 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2014 12:55:00 PM (view original):

And this. Jennings is a tiny city right next to Ferguson, part of the greater St. Louis area.

And this stuff.

Yes, I asked specifically about the racist Ferguson PD you mentioned.
8/29/2014 1:00 PM
Is it possible that the Ferguson had twice as many arrests to the black population because they committed twice as many crimes?
8/29/2014 1:01 PM
If there's a general perception (whether it's real or just imagined) that the Ferguson cops are horribly racist (as BL accepts and is portraying as undeniable truth that must be accepted), it's quite possible that blacks who are getting pulled over by the cops have more of an attitude than do the whites who are getting pulled over. 

Attitudes often lead to arrests.

More attitude by one segment of the population --> a higher percentage of arrests for that segment of the population.

8/29/2014 1:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Oh.

So "racist cops!" in Ferguson is fact.

And blacks with attitudes in Ferguson is "pure conjecture".

Got it.

8/29/2014 1:13 PM
Posted by The Taint on 8/29/2014 1:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 8/28/2014 5:09:00 PM (view original):

The Washington Post dove deep into the Ferguson, Missouri, police department's record on racial matters and the results are not pretty. As the Post notes, "the department's problems stretch back years [before the Michael Brown shooting] and include questions about its officers' training and racial sensitivity." For example, "the office of Missouri's attorney general concluded in an annual report last year that Ferguson police were twice as likely to arrest African Americans during traffic stops as they were whites."

Not surprisingly, that sort of policing has infuriated black residents. As one man told the Post, "If you can find a single person in this community who trusts the police, that is like finding a four-leafed clover."

Here's a portion of that state report which shows the racial disparities in terms of both vehicle stops and arrests.

You tell me.  Look at disparity index and contraband hit rates.
So cops arrest half of African-Americans with contraband found, and 1/6 of whites.  Yea, that's not good.
8/29/2014 1:15 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/29/2014 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2014 12:55:00 PM (view original):

And this stuff.

Yes, I asked specifically about the racist Ferguson PD you mentioned.
Sorry, other than MIssouri AG's study on how racist the Ferguson cops are, all I have are the examples from the county Ferguson is in and the adjacent neighborhood to Ferguson. My bad.
8/29/2014 1:16 PM
We're talking about it, which means a lot of other people are too.  If your argument is "this helps fix the problem we have with many polices forces" then OK, fair.
8/29/2014 1:16 PM
That said - the way the community is being seen in Ferguson, it still doesn't make them look good.  So, while we're talking about this issue, which is good, the African-American community there looks bad.  A lot of people are seeing that and thinking "****, I'd be much more likely to pull these people over too."
8/29/2014 1:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23|24...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.