Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 9/2/2014 5:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 9/2/2014 5:08:00 PM (view original):
IOW, if I see you standing on the street, minding your own business, I can probably get you arrested by saying "There's a guy over here that is bothering my family.  I think he looks like trouble."  Especially now that I know you'll refuse to show your ID.

When the cops come, they will probably talk quietly to you, and ask for your ID so they can run a quick check for warrants, etc.  If you repeated refuse and say "Eff you, I know my rights", they will probably take you in until they determine who you are and whether you are, indeed, a troublemaker.

Is it right?  NO, but it's not the cops fault.  Whoever called it in put the "trouble" into the complaint.  The cops are just reacting to what they've been told.
He wasn't suspected of a crime. Without that suspicion, he has the right to now show ID (and not get arrested for the refusal). Figuring out who you are in a state that doesn't have stop and identify laws isn't a right the cops have.
He was arrested in a building. That's not public property and when asked to move by building security you move. You don't move then the cops are called which is what happened.

To be more specific he was sitting on a chair IN the skyway at the First National Bank building. Not on a sidewalk. That is why he was arrested for trespassing (he was asked by security to keep moving, multiple times over multiple days).
9/2/2014 5:25 PM
I wish someone would have asked the Tsarnaev brothers why they were just loitering around.
9/2/2014 5:32 PM

Probably not as much as the people who got blew the **** up but it would have been nice if a cop had said "Could you show us some ID?" before they blew up the place.

Or would that have been against their rights in MA?

9/2/2014 5:34 PM
Looks like it would have been a violation of their rights to be forced to show ID. 

Good law.
9/2/2014 5:37 PM
Posted by moy23 on 9/2/2014 5:25:00 PM (view original):
IOW, if I see you standing on the street, minding your own business, I can probably get you arrested by saying "There's a guy over here that is bothering my family.  I think he looks like trouble."  Especially now that I know you'll refuse to show your ID.

When the cops come, they will probably talk quietly to you, and ask for your ID so they can run a quick check for warrants, etc.  If you repeated refuse and say "Eff you, I know my rights", they will probably take you in until they determine who you are and whether you are, indeed, a troublemaker.

Is it right?  NO, but it's not the cops fault.  Whoever called it in put the "trouble" into the complaint.  The cops are just reacting to what they've been told.
He wasn't suspected of a crime. Without that suspicion, he has the right to now show ID (and not get arrested for the refusal). Figuring out who you are in a state that doesn't have stop and identify laws isn't a right the cops have.
He was arrested in a building. That's not public property and when asked to move by building security you move. You don't move then the cops are called which is what happened.

To be more specific he was sitting on a chair IN the skyway at the First National Bank building. Not on a sidewalk. That is why he was arrested for trespassing (he was asked by security to keep moving, multiple times over multiple days).
All skyways in St. Paul are public property.
9/2/2014 5:39 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bad_luck on 9/2/2014 5:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 9/2/2014 5:25:00 PM (view original):

All skyways in St. Paul are public property.
Apparently so.
9/2/2014 6:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/2/2014 5:37:00 PM (view original):
Looks like it would have been a violation of their rights to be forced to show ID. 

Good law.
****, you're right. Anytime a crime could have been prevented by just a small rights violation, we should change the law to allow for that violation.

I wonder how many shootings we could prevent if we just...
9/2/2014 7:37 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/2/2014 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 9/2/2014 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/2/2014 4:56:00 PM (view original):
Sure. But the police get held to a higher standard since they are the professionals.
They're also the ones who are RESPONDING to a report about someone causing trouble.  They don't have the luxury of walking away.
Um yeah they do. Once they got there and saw what the complaint was (black guy sitting in public) they should have walked away.
"Jim, look.  It's a negro sitting in public."

"Oh oh.  We'd better get the hell out of here.".
9/2/2014 8:10 PM
Well, yeah.  If you question a man of color, it's obviously RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9/2/2014 8:49 PM
I watched a black man walking on the sidewalk today.... And I thought to myself how amazing it is that he was walking unmolested around all these white people. So I started watching some more and at least 20 more black dudes were not harrassed as they walked by all these white people. I thought maybe I wasn't in america anymore... At least not BLs version of america where racism lurks around every corner.
9/2/2014 9:38 PM
Black kid tased by a black cop.

Maybe the black kid was the wrong shade of black, because obviously all cops are racist.
9/2/2014 9:49 PM
He was an Oreo cop.  Black on the outside, white on the inside. 
9/2/2014 9:52 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
That's interesting. Especially since Lollie was clearly refusing to leave when he was arrested.

Oh wait, he wasn't. Never mind.
9/3/2014 11:30 AM
◂ Prev 1...43|44|45|46|47...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.