North Korea wins Topic

Posted by toddcommish on 12/18/2014 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Why don't we just flood the internet with the movie anyway, and email everyone in North Korea free streaming sites?

It's the 21st century equivalent of dropping propaganda pamphlets.
This crossed my mind. Flood NK with the movie.

That said, Sony has to agree to it, right? The US Government just can't take it from them and force feed both countries.
12/18/2014 3:28 PM
While we're at it, send "Team America" too.... unless using marionettes makes the plot too confusing.
12/18/2014 3:29 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2014 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/18/2014 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/18/2014 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2014 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Tec - If someone believes their freedom of speech rights are being violated, what is the legal remedy? What option do they have to restore the right?
North Korea does not fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. legal system.

I guess that means we should just "do nothing".

I asked for suggestions.  I think something should be done.  But I can't think of anything.  "Nothing" might be the best option.
I see four public options:

1) Do nothing.
2) Give a strongly worded, yet empty, speech
3) Give a strongly worded speech that contains actual demands and/or threats
4) Attack North Korea

Option 4 is insane. Option 3 probably leaves us with the choice of making good on our threats (option 4) or not backing them up when they get us nowhere (Option 2).

Option 2 sucks.

Option 1 isn't great but it avoids all the **** in the other three.
1 and 2 are essentially the same thing.

Maybe we can "attack" North Korea in a similar way they attacked us. Force-feed North Korea "Americanism" by showing their residents how the rest of the world works, and how insane their government is. And then claim it's not us, it must be Canada or something.
12/18/2014 3:29 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 12/18/2014 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Why don't we just flood the internet with the movie anyway, and email everyone in North Korea free streaming sites?

It's the 21st century equivalent of dropping propaganda pamphlets.
NK can block the sites in the country, but some activist group has a similar idea.

12/18/2014 3:30 PM
I think they also hate Christmas.  Just flood their airwaves with Christmas music too.
12/18/2014 3:31 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/18/2014 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2014 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/18/2014 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/18/2014 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2014 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Tec - If someone believes their freedom of speech rights are being violated, what is the legal remedy? What option do they have to restore the right?
North Korea does not fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. legal system.

I guess that means we should just "do nothing".

I asked for suggestions.  I think something should be done.  But I can't think of anything.  "Nothing" might be the best option.
I see four public options:

1) Do nothing.
2) Give a strongly worded, yet empty, speech
3) Give a strongly worded speech that contains actual demands and/or threats
4) Attack North Korea

Option 4 is insane. Option 3 probably leaves us with the choice of making good on our threats (option 4) or not backing them up when they get us nowhere (Option 2).

Option 2 sucks.

Option 1 isn't great but it avoids all the **** in the other three.
1 and 2 are essentially the same thing.

Maybe we can "attack" North Korea in a similar way they attacked us. Force-feed North Korea "Americanism" by showing their residents how the rest of the world works, and how insane their government is. And then claim it's not us, it must be Canada or something.
Any "attack" like that won't be made public. Tec will ***** and moan and give his opinion on foreign policy without knowing that something was actually done.
12/18/2014 3:36 PM
While you insist that we "do nothing"?
12/18/2014 3:37 PM
Publicly, yes.
12/18/2014 3:41 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/18/2014 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/18/2014 11:46:00 AM (view original):
There's a theater in Texas that's going to show "Team America" for free on Christmas - fantastic.
Paramount has pulled this movie. The theater in Texas is not allowed to show it.

Sigh.
Who didn't see this coming?
12/18/2014 5:15 PM
  There's a lot of stuff going on here.
  1.)  If Sony showed the picture and people were hurt, would lawyers go after them?
  2.)  If Sony shows the picture, will the other movies in the multiplex lose money because people stay home?
  3.)  If the venues refuse to show the picture, what's the point of trying to run it?
  4.)  Sony HQ is in Japan. 

Burnsy made me laugh when he said a real terrorist would force us to watch the movie. 

Anyways, I heard some stuff.  One theory is Sony knew it was a bomb and is using this to get out.  I don't buy it.  Another is they are using this as promotion and will release it later.  Yes and no.  It doesn't make sense to release it later in theaters BUT it could sell mega CDs worldwide now that people just want to see it out of curiosity.  And there's the rub.  NOBODY wants to lose money if there is a way out.  Releasing the CD makes sense because NK can't track everybody that bought the CD and hack their computers or blowup their homes.  They would simply be overwhelmed.  And that's what Sony should do.  But what if they don't?  What if they just bury it and eat the loss?  If that happens then the real explanation is something else.  Blackmail.

These execs had their personal e-mail released.  The only thing we know so far is they poked fun at Obama about black movies and slammed some people.  What if that was the tip of the iceberg?  What if they said things that would ruin their careers or cost them their jobs?  That would be blackmail.

We'll soon know.  If they never release the CD then it's blackmail.  If they do release the CD then it was a brilliant move that protected people and other projects while making them more money than if they had just released it in the first place.  That's what I think anyways.

12/18/2014 7:59 PM (edited)
Posted by toddcommish on 12/18/2014 3:29:00 PM (view original):
While we're at it, send "Team America" too.... unless using marionettes makes the plot too confusing.
Kim Jong-Il never existed, if you check the NK history books.  Kim Jong-Un removed both Il and his grandpa from them and they say that Un has been the only leader ever.  If a citizen disagrees, he will have them killed.
12/18/2014 8:14 PM
12/19/2014 9:35 AM
Idea: Sony plans on releasing the film eventually. Gets even MORE buzz, more people see it, makes more money than it would if they released it on Christmas. "Pulling it" is just a way to eventually make more money.
12/19/2014 9:43 AM

If you think it was an advertising ploy, I think you're wrong.  I don't think you're implying that but it could be construed that way.

I don't know that it ever sees the light of day in a public showing.   "Straight to DVD" might be it's fate.    And they'll likely sell billions.   I had little interest in it but, now that I can't see it, I gotta see it. 

12/19/2014 9:52 AM
I personally don't think it's a ploy, but it could be argued. They don't fear the NK threats, but pull it to create more buzz, only to play it later.  It's just an interesting idea.
12/19/2014 9:57 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...13 Next ▸
North Korea wins Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.