Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas Topic

He won't be playing SS. I'm thinking RF.
4/21/2007 11:17 AM
Why not post your team in the Happy Jack thread?
4/21/2007 3:16 PM
You won't let me call the league 'Tardy Jack in your thread. You'll redline me.
4/21/2007 4:26 PM
From the Happy Jack thread(in case of redline)
Las Vegas Pit Boss
New ownership in Vegas. Moved from Honolulu because the boys couldn't concentrate with all the hula dancers at the game. We really didn't think that one out because we moved to Vegas. Uh-oh. Previous ownership led the team to 72, 58 and 42 wins in the first three seasons. They didn't believe in hiring coaches or signing pitchers who had more than a passing acquaintance with home plate. They preferred hitters who would have trouble identifying a ball from a strike. Or an orange for that matter. We've made a ton of moves that are detailed in Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas. But we'll also post some goings on in here.
Vegas is currently trying to determine their theme song. We're down to two options.
1. 'tardy jack sung by Justin Timberlake
Our team's in 'tardy jack......
those other boys don't know how to act......
2. 'tardy jack sung by Pat Summitt
'tardy jack will always be......
home, sweet home to me.....
good ol' 'tardy jack.....
Team Analysis
Catchers:
Steve Corino, 25 - Acquired as a FA. He's a young bopper better suited for DH right now as his D/PC numbers aren't up to snuff. He'll still catch around 100 games and play 35-40 at first.
Vinny Riggs, 28 - returnee. His D/PC are acceptable and he hits ies pretty well despite his poor eye. Will spot start and be a bat off the bench.
Vic Ortiz, 28 - Acquired as a FA. I realized I didn't have a good late inning D replacement or an outstanding PC for my young pitchers. He was signed for 350K for one year. He also hits ies decently and will start most of the games that Saez/Alonso are scheduled.
Infielders:
Chad Laker, 24 - returnee. Easily our best hitter. Really rakes the righties but needs to improves vs. ies. Should hit over .300 with 30 homers and about 20 SB. He'll play 1B with a few starts in RF when Corino plays 1B.
Rafael Santos, 26 - returnee. Big power and not much else. I've never had much luck with these guys. We're hoping for .240 with 40+ homers. We'll have to accept the 150 strikeouts. He'll get time at 3B/LF/RF.
Jimmy Vega, 30 - FA. Signed a big contract to play 2B and bat leadoff. He's expected to have a .380 OBP and solidify our middle infield.
Max Baez, 26 - returnee. Max is a carbon copy of Santos with a poorer eye and the inability to hit ies or righties as well. Can't see him getting much P/T.
Jerome Hynes, 26 - returnee. Jerome is going to be quite the hitter. With his exceptional range he'll be playing SS despite his mediocre glove. We expect .300 with 30+ homers out of the fifth spot.
Tony Suarez, 29 - FA. Tony as a FA with big demands. He re-signed with us once he found out he wasn't as marketable as he thought. He'll get time at 3B/LF/RF. He's an average hitter who excels vs. righties.
Clint Robinson, 24 - FA. Vegas management is already questioning Clint's signing. He came out of high school drawing comparisons to Ozzie Smith. Due to poor coaching, his glove and arm accuracy has taken a beating. He'll get the P/T in hopes that he'll recover his lost form. We just don't know where we'll hide him.
Outfielders:
Victor Seguignol, 29 - FA. Signed to be our CF and #3 hitter. His stellar D should save a few hits in the middle of the field.
Bud Halladay, 25 - returnee. Not sure how this guy got on last season's roster. He's listed in RF but will get a sore *** from riding the bench.
Larry Robinson, 31 - returnee. Larry is Clint's older brother. We're keeping him around to mentor Clint. Larry has no pop and no eye. He'll see some P/T in LF because our options are limited.
Pitchers:
Seth Ramsey, 35 - returnee. Seth is making 9.8m so we have to find a use for him. I don't care much for his ratings but he'll get his starts.
Samuel Keeler, 28 - FA. Sammy is a back of the rotation type of guy. The staff was a mess so he was signed to fill a role. He'll get his starts.
Marquis Arnold, 27 - returnee. Sucks out loud. Not sure how he got to the big team last year but he did. So he's here for about 20 games and then he'll be demoted after mopping up a few games.
Zephyr Smith, 29 - returnee. See M. Arnold. Except he's worse. Same deal.
Alex Saez, 26 - FA. Nothing special but he could be a decent 2-3 guy with a little seasoning. He'll be a fixture in the rotation for a few seasons.
Stan Fonda, 25 - returnee. Bah. A little better than Arnold/Smith but not much. However, he can find the plate so he'll be coming out of the 'pen.
Juan Amaro, 34 - trade. A pretty good pitcher. Too bad he's too old to be around when we get this ship righted. He'll do fine this year.
Dicky Dickey, 31 - trade. Not much but he'll get the ball over the plate. He'll get his starts and maybe keep us in the game.
Octavio Benitez, 28 - FA. Octavio is pretty solid. He'll help anchor the rotation for the next few years.
Alberto Alonso, 24 - FA. Our big FA signing. He's a solid #3 right now but can develop into an ace. He'll get as many innings as I can give him.
Jorge Aquilera, 33 - WW. He's respectable with a couple of good pitches. He'll close or set-up. At 327k, he could be brought back next year while our youngsters develop.
Russ Mirabelli, 28 - WW. Our other set-up/closer. A couple of decent pitches but he's one and done here in Vegas despite his 360k salary. He's just not worth keeping around.
More to come.......
4/22/2007 10:44 AM
Shut it, 'tard.
4/22/2007 10:59 AM
No spamming!
4/22/2007 11:02 AM
The guys flagged for 500 AB's, is that projected or their numbers now? If the later then what do they project too?
4/22/2007 11:42 AM
Current numbers. Showing projected numbers seems like a bad idea should they end up on the trade block.
4/22/2007 12:05 PM
makes sense.
4/22/2007 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 4/22/2007
No spamming!
4/22/2007 12:16 PM
I couldn't bear the loss of losing games due to poor defense. I just signed a 33 year old SS for 950k to be a defensive replacement. Not a good use of resources but I just couldn't accept SS gloves of 66 and 52. Couldn't do it.
4/23/2007 4:07 PM
aren't you a Yankees fan?
4/23/2007 8:29 PM
I am. Your point?
4/23/2007 9:13 PM
ugh... some veiled reference to Jeter?
how witty.......
4/23/2007 9:24 PM
Game 1 tonight at home.
Clint Robinson will get the start in RF, Tony Suarez in LF.
Since we're home, I think we'll be OK.
4/24/2007 3:01 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...16 Next ▸
Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.