ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

How does the sim determine who is a high schooler and who is a college player in respect to the amateur draft? For example, in my world we are drafting next weekend. When I sort thru players only 5 of 500 are 18 years old and list a HS in their player card. Would those 5 be the only ones that would be affected by my HS scouting budget? Or would the 19 year olds with a year of CC or JuCo be included in that number too?
1/19/2015 2:26 PM
18 y/o are HS players.   19 and older are college. 
1/19/2015 2:47 PM
Is it an anomaly to only have 5 HS players on my draft board? It has to be, otherwise people would've been zeroing out HS scouting for years. Furthermore, am I seeing so little because of my low HS scouting?
1/19/2015 4:26 PM
Not if your scouting is low.  Higher budget, more players, more accurate projections. 
1/19/2015 4:33 PM
What do you think of this remarkable victory? 

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=68355750&pbp=0
1/20/2015 9:07 AM
I don't know if I'd use "remarkable" to describe it but a walk-off two-run homer to win it with your only hit is pretty cool. 
1/20/2015 9:32 AM
One of my teams is leading the world in GIDPs (hit into) by a wide margin.

What ratings go into GIDPs?

I'm top 3 in hits, walks, avg., and OBP, but middle of the pack or lower in SB, 2B, 3B, and HR.

It can't be so simple as I just have more not-overly-fast baserunners at 1B than most, can it?
1/20/2015 1:44 PM
I've found that individual players who hit into a lot of DP are somewhat slow(sub 50) poor baserunners(sub 50) who hit in the top part of the line-up on a team with lots of baserunners.   I've noticed no correlation with push/pull ratings but contact is usually pretty good.    It really might be as simple as you make it out to be.   You obviously have a lot of runners stopping at first.   If the guys hitting into DP are slow, poor baserunners with respectable contact, that might be your answer.
1/20/2015 1:53 PM
Ugh.  Since I play in a hitter's park (Montreal), I went after contact and eye rather than power when drafting my team with the specific intent of getting those "Top 3" results I posted above.  The GIDP was unexpected, at least to this degree ... 20% more than second place, and 82% more than the league average!  10th in GB/FB, so it's not like we only hit grounders....

Could it be I've reached a "clogging up the bases" tipping point?

Do you think Joe Morgan would be proud?
1/20/2015 2:06 PM
Could be.   Your top three guys in GiDP have speed of 23, 27, 33.   With that high OBP, my guess is they are getting plenty of AB with guys on base.   You could change you H&R setting to get more guys moving. 

Joe Morgan probably doesn't follow your team. 
1/20/2015 2:15 PM
Asking because I assume you watch a lot of SEC football: What are your thoughts on Bo Wallace as a pro QB?
1/20/2015 2:34 PM
The SEC does a lot of things well.  Developing pro QBs is not one of them.    He's too thin and too erratic.   I can't imagine him getting drafted or making a team as an UDFA.   But, with all the crappy QB standing on the NFL sidelines, he should be in someone's camp.
1/20/2015 2:40 PM

Sorry if this is elemental math... if you're planning to offer a max contract to a free agent, you need to budget at least 30 million over expected salary for the rest of the roster, plus extra coach money to go after his best hitting or pitching coach available, right?  Am I missing anything?

1/20/2015 3:45 PM
If you're expecting a tie-breaker, you need 30m now, 20m in cap space for the next 4, a player option, no trade clause and, to top it all off, the best coach available.  And, if he's a pitcher, bullpen coach counts.
1/20/2015 4:07 PM
In all your HBD seasons, how many of those mega-max contracts have you handed out, that included the top coach?
1/21/2015 4:15 PM
◂ Prev 1...869|870|871|872|873...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.