There are more than a couple of pitchers with good, biting fastballs who don't throw hard, but you do highlight one of the major reasons that we shouldn't always compare the game to real life.

It doesn't really matter for the purposes of this conversation, however, because the pitch is still labeled a fastball. 

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question: why would the programmers generate pitches unless they thought it would add something?

4/3/2011 10:26 PM
Why would they give each player a name? Same reason. Aesthetics.

4/3/2011 10:31 PM
It's a bit of fluff, just like the hometowns, height/weight, name, and most of the stuff in the draft details section of the player card.
4/3/2011 10:37 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 4/3/2011 10:31:00 PM (view original):

"Aesthetics" can mean any number of a hundred things. 

The obvious answer is that they added pitch names to add to our experience in some minimal way.
4/3/2011 10:41 PM
Posted by shobob on 4/3/2011 10:37:00 PM (view original):
It's a bit of fluff, just like the hometowns, height/weight, name, and most of the stuff in the draft details section of the player card.

Absolutely.  But as other posters have already stated, things like hometowns, despite being meaningless, add to their enjoyment.  The "player" obviously isn't actually from anywhere, but we pretend like he is.  Just like we pretend that this is a real game.

For an entire game based on imagination, I'm surprised so many people are judgmental about imagining aspects of this fake game.

4/3/2011 10:44 PM

Isn't it pointless to ask questions like "Has anybody ever seen a player with (insert meaningless fluff attribute here) be successful?"

Why would anybody ask such a question unless perhaps they thought that (meaningless fluff attribute) was actually important to the game?  What's the point?

4/3/2011 10:55 PM
I'm surprised that tectard hasn't informed us that 'OVR' is meaningless. Thats one of his favorite lines to drop whether asked for or not.
4/4/2011 1:33 AM
4/4/2011 1:34 AM
Posted by isack24 on 4/3/2011 10:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 4/3/2011 10:31:00 PM (view original):

"Aesthetics" can mean any number of a hundred things. 

The obvious answer is that they added pitch names to add to our experience in some minimal way.
Actually, if you go tothe dictionary, it means one thing.
4/4/2011 3:09 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 4/4/2011 1:33:00 AM (view original):
I'm surprised that tectard hasn't informed us that 'OVR' is meaningless. Thats one of his favorite lines to drop whether asked for or not.
How is OVR pertinent to this thread?

Oh yes.  It's that "reading comprehension" thing again, isn't it?
4/4/2011 6:20 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/3/2011 10:55:00 PM (view original):

Isn't it pointless to ask questions like "Has anybody ever seen a player with (insert meaningless fluff attribute here) be successful?"

Why would anybody ask such a question unless perhaps they thought that (meaningless fluff attribute) was actually important to the game?  What's the point?

But that's just it. You interpret that question as, "Can knuckleballs be effective in HBD?"

I interpret it as, "Has anyone seen the HBD equivalent of Phil Niekro, or at least Tim Wakefield?"
4/4/2011 9:18 AM
How does that make any more sense?
4/4/2011 9:19 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Antonio Ono

I've never seen the equivalent of Tim Wakefield, but look at Ono's velocity! His knuckleball has got some speed!
4/4/2011 9:30 AM
Sorry, I'm still picturing a knuckleball in the 90s....that ****'s unhittable.  No wonder that guy is so good.
4/4/2011 9:45 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Fernando Pena

And wow...what a fastball this guy has got!  Strange, considering he throws it so slow...I guess it makes sense that Ono is so much better - would rather face Pena's 82 MPH fastball than Ono's 96 MPH knuckleball.
4/4/2011 10:03 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...15 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.