Probably won't sign with a mother agent... Topic

Anyone ever sign one of these? I just got refused and sent my first re-neg, with a 1 million increase...
Just curious if anyone has had success with these brats.
9/7/2011 8:15 AM
Yes.  If you want the guy bad enough and you can still make offers - keep trying.
9/7/2011 8:34 AM
I've never signed one of those motherf'ers.
9/7/2011 10:11 AM
I think I signed one once but it ended up costing me like $8 mil. I'd say as a general rule, don't draft those guys unless you're looking for a comp pick.

Also, definitely don't keep upping your offer, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot. You want to wait until they respond with a counter offer before you increase your offer. They will never accept an increased offer until they've sent over their counter offer, and if you keep going higher, their counter offer will keep getting higher too.
9/7/2011 11:59 AM
Is there a signing deadline in HBD? I haven't gone after big time guys who will not sign for slot much, just curious if they have a deadline and then afterword you can go for Internationals, or if they can hold out all the way to the World Series?
9/7/2011 12:56 PM
There is no signing deadline.  However, if they are thinking about your offer, they tend to take 3-10 days in general to accept, reject or counter.  I dont think I have ever had any wait longer than about 2 weeks.  And if you do give them their counteroffer, they will accept immediately.
9/7/2011 12:58 PM
Posted by prezuiwf on 9/7/2011 11:59:00 AM (view original):
I think I signed one once but it ended up costing me like $8 mil. I'd say as a general rule, don't draft those guys unless you're looking for a comp pick.

Also, definitely don't keep upping your offer, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot. You want to wait until they respond with a counter offer before you increase your offer. They will never accept an increased offer until they've sent over their counter offer, and if you keep going higher, their counter offer will keep getting higher too.
Not necessarily true.  I've posted this several times, but every once in awhile this issue comes up.  I had a guy do this same thing.  Refused initial offer.  Upped his demand to $11M.  I only had $9M.  I wanted the guy.  I offered him my $9M over and over - probably 30 times through the end of the season.  On the 31st time (approximately), his mother gave him permission to sign.   For the $9M I had left.  Yes, less than his revised demands.

It can happen.  BTW, if that $9M would have netted me a comparable IFA, I would have done that instead, but by itself it wasn't going to do any good.  That's why I had nothing to lose to offer him what I had left.
9/7/2011 2:25 PM
Do mamma's boys generally demand more $ from the very beginning?
9/4/2012 6:41 PM
Yes
9/4/2012 7:19 PM
Usually the first thing I do when reviewing the draft prospects is to view according to background info, sort by signability and boot all the momma's boys to the back of the bus. But occasionally I draft one by mistake. Several seasons ago I drafted a 3rd rounder that was asking for $3-4M. I offered him what he wanted in the expectation that he'd turn it down and I'd get a comp pick. No such luck, tho. He took the initial offer. It happens.
9/5/2012 10:58 AM
How do you see who the agent is?
9/5/2012 3:23 PM
the player card has a line which lists the agents name.
9/5/2012 6:15 PM
CS has confirmed in the past that the agent has not effect on signability.
9/6/2012 8:57 AM
Posted by mhulshult on 9/6/2012 8:57:00 AM (view original):
CS has confirmed in the past that the agent has not effect on signability.
True, but for the purposes of this discussion the mother agent is really just a proxy for the kid's signability info which is always that he's got his heart set on going to/finishing college whenever his mother is his agent. And you never see that when he has a real agent.

So you are absolutely right ... and it's absolutely irrelevant.
9/6/2012 9:04 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Probably won't sign with a mother agent... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.